Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

To Thank a Soldier

I have a young son age 19 now joined the army at 17 and just left a week ago for afganastan. I want to thank you for my son because its so great to hear those words of kindness,encourgement people are often so rushed they dont think to take a moment to thank someone like my son and the many others out there for the life they have that our soldies fight for. Watching my son leave although this was what he chose has been the most difficult thing I've ever had to do in my life thus far. So again thank you for your post its greatly appreciated. Ive always taken the time to thank and or speak with a soldier or veteran when had the opportunity. I think it means alot those few words I mean they do so much and give up so much more. I'd love to know of ways i can give back to our soldiers to do something for them maybe send care packages any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Conversationalist

Bless your wonderful young man for his service and the life he has chosen. You must be so very proud of him. He WILL return safe to you and when he does he will look into your eyes and know exactly why he chose to serve. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. Merry Christmas to you all.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

In Response to To Thank a Soldier by lisarisner2011

Hi Lisa,  I too wish to thank your Son for his Service to our Country, and I feel there are many who want to thank our Soldiers and Vets, and may not know how to do so.  

In fact awhile back I saw a video on the proper way to thank a Soldier, and after seeing this video I was in Walmart, and noticed a Woman Soldier in Army attire.  I used this simple gesture, and she said "thank you".  I then felt soooo happy that she knew what I meant.  I found the video again, and wanted to post it within your discussion!   Shelby 

In Response to To Thank a Soldier by lisarisner2011

I know first hand how you feel as I am a Vietnam Veteran and understand the lack of suport soldiers sometimes get.  I thank your son and all of the other soldiers who are placed in harms way and I pray for their save return home.  I also want to thank you for your son's participation in the Armed Services.  It is young men like your son who keep us free.

Regular Contributor

As a Veteran myself that got a Ticker Tape parade after Desert Storm with 2 fathers that served in Vietnam I understand both ends of the spectrum of what Veteran support is and wasn't so from one war era vet to another.... Welcome Home Sir!

I have a young son age 19 now joined the army at 17 and just left a week ago for afganastan. I want to thank you for my son because its so great to hear those words of kindness,encourgement people are often so rushed they dont think to take a moment to thank someone like my son and the many others out there for the life they have that our soldies fight for. Watching my son leave although this was what he chose has been the most difficult thing I've ever had to do in my life thus far. So again thank you for your post its greatly appreciated. Ive always taken the time to thank and or speak with a soldier or veteran when had the opportunity. I think it means alot those few words I mean they do so much and give up so much more. I'd love to know of ways i can give back to our soldiers to do something for them maybe send care packages any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP