Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

THANK A SOLDIER

We owe our soldiers and veterans so much for their sacrifices. Living near Ft. Campbell, TN I see soldiers nearly every day coming and going, in stores and in restaurants. How many times have we just walked by without saying a word. If we are trully grateful for our freedom maybe we should express it next time by extending a handshake and saying, Thank You, I appreciate all you are doing for our country. I think you may put a smile on the soldiers face and hopefully it will help them to get through the day.

Silver Conversationalist

Trust me. It WILL!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

In Response to RE: THANK A SOLDIER by pwelch2

Thank you for your post pwelch2. You make an important point that contributions to Veterens Organizations is way to say THANK YOU to many soldiers. The USO has a sign that says, USO: That's How I Support the Troops. I feel donating to groups like Help Hopitalized Veterns, DAV and others, is the very least we can do to help those that have given so much to preserve our freedom.

Regular Contributor

As an Army Retiree and participant in several overseas jaunts if you will,  I fully understand the benefit and need for organizations that support veterans to raise funds but we must be very selective in lending credence to specific organizations as so many illegitimate ones have raised to the surface in this time of patriotism and support of vets. It is unfortunate that there are some such as mentioned here were not what they purported to be which hinders the efforts of organizations that truly use the majority of their funding to do good.

In Response to THANK A SOLDIER by chief2

I am a U.S. Army veteran and I can appreciate exactly where you're coming from. I make it a point when I see a soldier in uniform to greet him or her and thank them for all of their sacrifices and to let them know that all of their hard work protecting our freedom doesn't go unnoticed. There are many of our hospitalized veterans that we can also help by sending a small donation to The Help Hospitalized Veterans fund who supplies hospitalized vets by supplying them craft kits. Those folks really appreciate that. I had been hospitalized in the past and I was given a few of these kits. They keep you busy and your mind occupied. I am now an outpatient of the VA and words cannot express the gratitude I have for the Veteran's Administration and moreover for our soldiers overseas in harms way everyday protecting our freedom and our way of life.

In Response to THANK A SOLDIER by chief2

Thnak you for posting "Thank A Soldier". I am a US Navy Veteran and your post is something that is long over due for "Our Soldiers, Sailors, & Airmen" who are over there and here, giving their all and then some.I know for a fact that saying thank you for your service or welcome home does put a smile on their face. My Veterans Group, The United War Veterans Council, in NYC,is going down the D.C. this weekend to say thank you to the troops at Walter Reed Army Hospital and other Military bases in the vicinity. We are bringing Valentine's Day cards, from children and adults, along with gifts that were donated. This is our third annual trip. It is all Goodwill and nothing more. Just to see a smile and say Thank You to them and that we care. 

Periodic Contributor

We owe our soldiers and veterans so much for their sacrifices. Living near Ft. Campbell, TN I see soldiers nearly every day coming and going, in stores and in restaurants. How many times have we just walked by without saying a word. If we are trully grateful for our freedom maybe we should express it next time by extending a handshake and saying, Thank You, I appreciate all you are doing for our country. I think you may put a smile on the soldiers face and hopefully it will help them to get through the day.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP