Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Travel Insurance - Don't!

Message 1 of 12

I recommend checking your credit card to see if it has a travel insurance component. My card covers me for the flight I purchased using that credit card. The restrictions are pretty similar to most decent travel insurance policies.

If going to a country with poor or litlle medical facilities I suggest a "medical evacuation" policy. They are relatively inexpensive and you can obtain a policy to cover an entire year for multiple trips as long as no one trip is longer than approx. 21 days (depending on the policy).

Happy travels

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

Do you offer Trip cancellation if flights are cancelled by the specific common carrier one is using? How about if the Airport remains open under a weather warning like a Nor'easter, but some flights make it in within 24 hours before and after said weather? What are the specifics, because I had, not one but two policies, One, as my main policy I paid for direct and another through the Credit Card I used to make the purchase and both came up with fine print details that make me sick! The fine print they used to disqualify my claim. I will not buy insurance for any trip unless it is spelled out in plain english, they covber common reasons why trips get cancelled involuntarily and the Insurance CEO signs it with his/her blood! Otherwise, it is throwing free money at you folks and the rate of payout must be very low. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

I recently consulted an insurance office, and it offers the following packages for travelers:

1. Emergency medical insurance

2. Trip cancellation and interruption insurance

3. Baggage loss, damage, and delay

4. Flight accidents

5. Travel accidents I haven't taken a travelers' insurance before. During my last trip to the US, I found it very difficult to meet the medical expenses when my son met with an accident. Then only I came to realize the importance of an insurance. So, it is always better to take an insurance and get clarified about the options under coverage!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

My recent experince with the "Cruise Protection Insurance" I was suckered into purchasing at the time throught AARP Expedia Travel Center, is not a very pleasant one. They do not cover unforseen circumstances like a Storm Related Cancellation. That's right, AARP Expedia Travel Center promotes an insurance policy that is basically useless unless you are caght up in the most extreme unforseen circumstances like the Airline going belly up. But something as common as a weather related cancellation NO. We are from Boston and when Nor'Easter Riley came up this way on March 2, our flight was cancelled and getting another out to Miami was a non starter. Amtrak suspended service. We were stuck, and to add insult to injury we are also out the cost of the entire cruise!! Contacting Expedia was useless as they referred me to Celebrity Cruises to request a compassionate refund. I did and Celebrity says they don't do that! Someone owes me my cruise fee. Selling an Insurance policy as Protection for unforseen circumstances but not really is FRAUD!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

I do pay for travel insurance but only for specific items where the cost of travel is too expensive if I can't get a refund.  

Example: we are spending almost 2 weeks in Alaska.  3 days in Fairbanks, 2 days in Anchorage + a 7 day cruise.  I paid insurance to cover the 7 day cruise + the roundtrip airfare.  I did not pay insurance for hotels, rental car or the short flight from Anchorage to Fairbanks.  These items were cheap to me that if I have to cancel and lose money, it won't break the bank.  The cruise was almost $7,000. because it's a luxury cruise and the airfare from the East Coast to Alaska was $1500.  There's no way I'm willing to lose $8,500. without travel insurance.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

My lawyer hubbie informed me that the travel insurance companies have to use legal language in their policies because insurance is regulated---not very consumer friendly.  

We found CSA TRAVEL PROTECTION on AARP.org.  CSA breaks down its coverages here:  blog.csatravelprotection.com

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

When my wife passed away one month prior to a 14 day cruise, the travel insurance refunded 100% of my prepaid expenses, including excursions we had signed up to take enroute.  Macy's even gave a full refund for formal wear we had purchased for our trip.

Everyone I dealt with was very helpfull and I recieved no negativity at all. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Travel Insurance - Don't! : DO

Message 8 of 12

@retiredtraveler wrote:

Don't condemn all travel insurance. Did you research the company, read the contract? You'll see that the company is poorly rated and not affiliated with Consumer Affairs accreditation.

My major question is:  What does your contract say about pre-existing condition?

I compalined to my hubbie about having to be a lawyer like him to read any insurance policy, but particularly travel insurance terms....and he informed me that its a regulated industry so the providers have to write T&Cs that the federal and states mandate.  ---not very consumer friendly.

I found this website that breaks coverages down and rates travel insurance:

http://travel-insurance-review.toptenreviews.com/

AARP's website recommended CSA TRAVEL PROTECTION which we have used.  CSA has coverages for what's called post departure that we use for domestic trips.  Their website might not have it but call.  And CSA explains it blog.csatravelprotection.com

Trying to demystify travel insurance...

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Travel Insurance - Don't! : DO

Message 9 of 12

I compalined to my hubbie about having to be a lawyer like him to read any insurance policy, but particularly travel insurance terms....and he informed me that its a regulated industry so the providers have to write T&Cs that the federal and states mandate.  ---not very consumer friendly.

I found this website that breaks coverages down and rates travel insurance:

http://travel-insurance-review.toptenreviews.com/

AARP's website recommended CSA TRAVEL PROTECTION which we have used.  CSA has coverages for what's called post departure that we use for domestic trips.  Their website might not have it but call.  And CSA explains it blog.csatravelprotection.com

Trying to demystify travel insurance...

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

Don't condemn all travel insurance. Did you research the company, read the contract? You'll see that the company is poorly rated and not affiliated with Consumer Affairs accreditation.

My major question is:  What does your contract say about pre-existing condition?

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views