Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Travel Insurance - Don't!

Message 11 of 12

We do take out trip insurance that covers most issues like lost luggage, flight issues and major medical. Things really happen. We had friends that had an accident in Tibet and she was injured. It was several weeks before she could back to the States.  Their insurance covered part of medical bills and his lodging. All totaled about $50,000,00 of their experiences.

I vote yes.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Travel Insurance - Don't!

Message 12 of 12

I use an oxygen concentrator when I go on vacation.  American Airlines has you fill out a form saying what kind of unit you are using and have it signed by a doctor.  When my husband and I arrived at the airport the concentrator I had failed.  The company we rent from brought a replacement unit.  However, it was a different brand and we didn't have time for the doctor to send another form to American so we could leave.  If we could get another signed form American said they would send us on a later flight through Chicago, but there were no seats out to Tampa.  We had to make a decision - we wound up driving to Tampa in order to get on the cruise we had tickets for. 

We had purchased trip insurance from Trip Mate to help us in just this type of emergency.  American said that since it was not a medical emergency and they could get us on a later (too late) flight - we would not get a refund.  I assembled all of the paperwork and sent it to Trip Mate asking for a refund.  Several weeks later I receive a reply from Trip Mate saying that I had a "pre-existing condition" and was not eligible for a refund.

Pre-existing condition?  Equipment failure, maybe.  - Total waste of money.

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies