Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Travel Discounts????

Message 1 of 7

AARP advertizes a discount with British Airways.  I go to book the flight to find out seats are not included in the purchase.  So guess what?  I have to pay for those seats.  The discount is $60 but to reserve the seats, that's the price.  So the net is, there is no deal.  Just bate and switch. FYI

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

Hello cs19015358,

Thank you for advising AARP of your experience with the AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia.  We do apologize for your experience and would be happy to be of assistance.  Please be advised that a Member Relations representative will be reaching out to you directly to gather more information as it relates to your experience in order to research your experience with your contacts at Expedia.  AARP appreciates your feedback as it assist us in our monitoring of our providers.  

Sandy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

i  booked a trip to Indiana through aarp (expedia). My plans changed and i was able to leave a day earlier so i called expedia to cancel the package.and plan a new trip. the csr for expedia assured me that it was cancelled and i would see the refund on my next billing statement.  i got my statement and guess what? she didn't cancel the flight.   and since it was more than 24 hours later i got the short end of the stick.  they couldn't cancel it. Now i'm being forced to take another trip before february 2016 or completely forfeit my money.   I get that we get pretty good discounts from aarp by booking through them but i will never do it again. unless they change their partner and go with a reputable, honest company-which is not Expedia's practice.   It is despicable the way Expedia csr's treat their customers.  they told me it was my fault when i know for a fact that the person i spoke to DID NOT do their job.  Please use AARP for everything  but travel.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

I love your quote from George Carlin.  Unfortunately, it has come to be true.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

@Cfranko2004 wrote:

I reserved a room for my spouse and I for a weekend in December through AARP Travel.  It advertised a 10% discount.  Much to my surprise, the next day I discovered the full balance of the prospective four days was deducted from my account.  Now, I understand providing a good faith deposit to hold a reservation, but the entire bill three months in advance?  That is no bargain to me.  I can't see any benefit to paying $800.00 up front to save $80.00 overall.  Expedia must think we are stupid.

I cancelled the reservation.  Caveat emptor.

How much did you really want to spend the weekend at that particular venue in that particular destination???  In some very popular destinations at peak seasons, three months is not nearly enough advance time.  If you can be flexible and casual about where you are staying and want to take a chance on your accommodations, you can take the gamble that you might be able to get a great room at a great price if you wait.

Those 10%'s add up very nicely but they do have certain qualifications.  I would also look for the higher discounts and also means for securing other discounts...rental car, breakfasts, lunches and splurge on good restaurants for dinners out, special activities and accommodations.  10% on a hotel you know nothing about isn't a bargain if you must put up with excessive noise, intrusive lights, poor plumbing, lackadaisical housekeeping, bedbugs (horrors!) or uncomfortable mattresses causing poor sleep.

As RT said, it depends upon one's perspective.

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Depends on your perspective. For 10%, I have no problem getting billed up front. I usually stay at Choice Hotel chain and in order to get a 15% discount,  but I must book in advance, pay in advance, and it's non-refundable.

Depends on how motivated you are to save some money.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Travel Discounts????

Message 7 of 7

I reserved a room for my spouse and I for a weekend in December through AARP Travel.  It advertised a 10% discount.  Much to my surprise, the next day I discovered the full balance of the prospective four days was deducted from my account.  Now, I understand providing a good faith deposit to hold a reservation, but the entire bill three months in advance?  That is no bargain to me.  I can't see any benefit to paying $800.00 up front to save $80.00 overall.  Expedia must think we are stupid.

I cancelled the reservation.  Caveat emptor.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark