Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Travel Apps

Message 1 of 15

While not specifically a travel app, my wife and I find Yelp to be a valuable resource for finding highly rated places to eat while traveling.  The app usually shows menus and shows locations relative to where we are. We can then weigh restaurant ratings versus travel time and effort to get to a restaurant that serves the type of food we are craving.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

I always download the apps for the airlines(s) I will be flying, hotel(s) I will be staying at, car rental company I will be using, ride sharing companies I will be calling, and Tripadvisor. Most are already on my phone but I add new ones as needed. I travel a lot and have used these apps to check if flights are on time, have all necessary hotel or restaurant phone numbers and street addresses available, or call ride sharing companies. The more information on my phone the more comfortable I feel.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

Sometimes Delorme Gazzetteers are in big gas stations with merchandise (they are an odd size, 15 1/2" by 11") .  Probably your best bet is to order them on Amazon.com.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

How are they acquired then?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

Allstays mainly for camping site

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

I use Units Plus for converting area, currency, length, pressure, temperature, volume, weight and 5 other measures.  Easy to use and free, although an upgrade is available for a small fee.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15
roadtripper
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

One thing I have always found invaluable in the US when traveling by car is something that is not on the Internet.  It is called the Delorme Gazzettes.  There is one for each state, and it is an invaluable companion for a road trip.  It takes away the clumsiness of a really big paper map, and shows you things that no application can show you on the Internet.

It shows elevations, waterways, and back roads which is just fantastic for those that like to drive and get lost in a meandering pattern that a driving application cannot tolerate.  It shows Ferry landings, fishing spots, and on and on.  It really shows your orientation much better than a google maps - I guess at least for those of us that grew up with maps.

Driving applications are great when you want to be efficient in where you are going, but not so great when you want to explore and take an unexpected turn - or when you are in a remote mountain area that has no Internet service.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

One of my favorite travel apps is TripIt. It's essential for me for organizing all the details (flights, buses, trains, car rentals, hotels/accommodation) of my trips into one go-to place. And it also stores necessary documents like passport info as backup if it's lost/stolen.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

@ChicagoEdge

TripAdvisor is a must-have app for me too. I mostly use it for pre-planning of trips (usually on desktop) and while I'm on a trip to look up address, info, closing times, etc. and find suggestions for restaurants.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera