Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Newbie looking for some travel advice!

Message 11 of 16

I'd like to start with the basics. What and how to pack light. Wheels can be your friend, especially if you have issues with lifting and carrying a bag. Backpacks often can be double duty either worn as a backpack or carried. Less is always more, and this includes what you pack. I have given away our suitcases and we now use backpacks, and small carry bags. Of course, it all depends where your destination is as to what type of clothing you bring, either warm, cold, or snowy/rainy weather. Let me just mention traveling to a warm climate, lightweight clothing that allows you to stay cool and dry is best, it also washes and dries easier. Travel clothing often allows the option of double usage. or instance a pair of pants that has zippers at the knees allowing you to turn them into shorts. Layers work also so that you utilize lightweight layers to create heavier ones. 

Most likely you will purchase souvenirs so why not have some of them be clothing from your destination that you can also wear there, so you do not have to bring as much.  If you are going to buy a lot of gifts to bring home either leave empty space in your travel bags or be ready to purchase additional ones to bring the gifts home in or ship them. Toiletries I suggest for short stays using the travel portion sizes they offer. as for your medications always bring all that you need and then some, plus pack them in the back you will have alongside you at all times when traveling, especially when flying.

Comfortable and sensible shoes. If staying for 7 days, pack clothing for about 4, you can wear them all twice. Underwear and sox can always be washed in the hotel sink and dried with a hair drier. If rainy area a small travel umbrella.

Also in this tech age always have your power recharge cords etc. with you. Remember you can always purchase what you forget. I always say when traveling as long as I have my ID/Passport, credit cards, my meds, and boarding pass or ticket I am good to go! Have a safe and happy trip.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16

Hello, @OrlandoM857500, and welcome to AARP's travel forums. It's exciting that you are researching and thinking about making travel plans.

We have an array of information which may be of interest to you as you consider where to visit in Europe. For starters, here are some articles around popular single destinations including Paris, London, Ireland, and Portugal.  And depending on your interests, you also may enjoy reading about 8 Wonderful Walking Tours or Affordable International Destinations for 2019. 

Thanks for contributing to the AARP Online Community!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

@OrlandoM857500 wrote:

That's nice. Thank you for replying my post. Yeah, I will surely join there. I already started and trying to find out solution itself. Anyways, I found some websites which also write about travel as well https://travelsites.com/ Looks impressive to me. 

I will also visit there in order to get some good details. What's your opinion? 

The website you found seems to be a compendium of a lot of other travel-related websites. It looks very useful for travelers...not that it gives travel information itself but the site gives you the links to major, useful travel sites. Nice find!

Good luck in your travels.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16

That's nice. Thank you for replying my post. Yeah, I will surely join there. I already started and trying to find out solution itself. Anyways, I found some websites which also write about travel as well https://travelsites.com/ Looks impressive to me. 

I will also visit there in order to get some good details. What's your opinion? 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16

Hang out around the Rick Steves forums. Rick Steves writes travel guides, has travel tour groups, and has put on travel shows on public TV for like 40 years. The (free) forums are a great place to get ideas and insights.

See https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-forum

And there are plenty of other forums but this is a good place to start for inspiration

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Newbie looking for some travel advice!

Message 16 of 16

Hello buddy,

Good morning to all. I'm a new traveler. I need some of your help with travel. I have an interest to go to Europe this year. So please suggest me some good places.

Thanks for your reply. 

Kudos
Views
Replies