Hundreds of Member Benefits. One Convenient Place to Explore Them. Check it Out!

Info Seeker

Re: How to Plan a Celebration Vacation

Message 11 of 16

We planned a trip to Las Vegas for my 50th birthday celebration. We had all the reservations planned including first class airfare, lodging, shows and two fancy reservations for dinner. The day we were going to leave, the news media declared that all airline flights we cancelled for the foreseeable future. We tried to cancel the hotel reservations but the hotel wouldn't let us. We finally decided to drive to Las Vegas.

When we arrived many hours later, the strip was almost empty. The lesson, don't have your birthday on September 11th, 1951.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 12 of 16

For our 25th wedding anniversary we went on a Carribean cruise. It was a relaxing, and very nice. 

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 16
For my 60th, my daughter and I went to the Grand Canyon and then to Sedona, **bleep**. I climbed Cathedral Rock with her, it was challenging and amazing and beautiful. We will never forget our adventure together.
Info Seeker

Message 14 of 16

I've planned three of these trips for my husband, on his 60th (Macchu Picchu), 62nd (BBQ road trip) and 65th (Isle of Man TT races) birthdays. 

I learned that the big trips are not a good idea to keep secret, as there is much preparation on the celebrant's part as well. They all three went really well, in spite of the usual hiccups. And they weren't nearly as expensive as I feared--because I did most of the legwork myself rather than buying package tours.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 16

My two wonderful daughters surprised me for my 60th birthday with an all expense paid trip to New Orleans. We had a blast! I will never forget this very special time we had together!

Community Manager

How to Plan a Celebration Vacation

Message 16 of 16

Whether it's an anniversary, and you want to get away with someone special, or a big reunion, what better way for your friends and family to enjoy some quality time together than to plan a trip? More...

Tell us about a time when you took a celebration vacation!

Samantha Brown Talks Celebration Vacations:

Looking for inspiration? Check out the Destination Guides at travel.aarp.org.