Hundreds of Member Benefits. One Convenient Place to Explore Them. Check it Out!

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: How to Have a Great Layover

Message 11 of 22

I used to be a frequent flier when I worked, and quite often had weather delays to contend with. I haven't traveled much since retiring though. It can be a real pain, these days.

On long delays, I like to walk around and get some exercise. I always travel with music and a good paperback, as well as reading on my iPad. Sometimes it's just nice to have the book in hand, and it doesn't weary the eyes as much as screen reading.

Don't forget to bring a good dose of patience with you. I know that may be hard for a lot of folks but there are some things you cannot control. So why get your feathers all ruffled? Stay calm and carry on. You'll feel better when you finally reach your destination.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker +

Message 12 of 22

I, too, like to visit with other traverlers.  I have met single mother who raised 5 kids and she now visits each greatful kid a couple of months each year to a mom with two kids who flew to meet the husband/dad for the weekend before he deployed.  I kept  a watch on her two kids while she ran to get them something to eat on the plane.  I gave her my cell phone to reassure her they would be safe with me. I have met some wonderful people who have changed the odds in their favor.  I, also, read and listen to music on my ipod.  Love the music.

Conversationalist

Message 13 of 22

In today's society of flying it sucks. Between rude people who disregard the handicap and the TSA, and the space that you seat in , is not fun anymore. So my last flight anywhere will be to LAS VEGAS,NV for my 65th birthday. And thank GOD it's a straight flight. Though what I do while in the airport, buy a bottle of water $4.00, grab a newspaper $1.50, and finally 4 mix drinks or beers, so I can sleep the whole flight. The skies are not friendly anymore !

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 22

Only time I go to the airport is to drop off or pick someone up I quit flying 9 yrs ago refuse to put up with the TSA B.S.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 22

We usually have an iPad or another device with lots of reading material downloaded to pass the time. I also enjoy visiting with the folks sitting in the terminal waiting for a flight like me. You can meet some pretty interesting and nice people as you wait for your flight to depart.

Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 22

I haven't traveled in 20 years, but I will be visiting my sister who lives in Florida in about 2 weeks. I will spend my free time at the airport probably people watching some of the time and working on one of my puzzle books.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 17 of 22

Well, I probably spend a fair amount of time on my phone, clearing emails, checking the singles sites (ha!), reviewing Amazon deals, etc. But, the most fun is people watching. so grab a cup of coffe, get a good seat close to your gate and just enjoy the many diverse and interesting travelers. 

Community Manager

Message 18 of 22

Thanks, @nyadrn, and I hope you do the same!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 22

AARPLynne wrote:

You made me chuckle @nyadrn. I'll think of you next week on the layover from the 6:00 a.m. flight I'm taking on Thanksgiving Day. Keep telling myself it will all be worthwhile when I'm sitting around the table with family. 

Thank you 😀   I am gearing up for the @AARPLynne. holiday travel at Christmas time and with the weather and the crowds you know I am going to have some delays. Always fun LOL

Have s great time with the family!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Community Manager

Message 20 of 22

You made me chuckle @nyadrn. I'll think of you next week on the layover from the 6:00 a.m. flight I'm taking on Thanksgiving Day. Keep telling myself it will all be worthwhile when I'm sitting around the table with family.