AARP Partners With ‘Politico’ to Educate Voters Leading Up to 2018 Midterm Election. Read More!

Info Seeker

Re: How to Have a Great Layover

Message 1 of 22

Some of the bigger airports have great shopping - and often items are marked down.  Airports offer a variety of stores and they are small and easy to manage.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 22

People watch what else is there to do ??

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 22

I normally arrive early but like to spend the time walking, especially if it is a large airport.  After that I do somepraying/meditating, read, or play games on my iPad. 

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 22

I always get to the airport early. I usually bring my ipad and play words with friends(50+games); I bring 2-3 mystery books and several magazines (Bottom Line Personal, Morningstar Fund Investor & Dividend Investor, Readers Digest.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 22

I spend the time in the bar!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 22

@nyadrn - I enjoy train travel. I just wish that we had train systems here like they have in Europe. 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 22

MaVolta wrote:

I used to be a frequent flier when I worked, and quite often had weather delays to contend with. I haven't traveled much since retiring though. It can be a real pain, these days.

On long delays, I like to walk around and get some exercise. I always travel with music and a good paperback, as well as reading on my iPad. Sometimes it's just nice to have the book in hand, and it doesn't weary the eyes as much as screen reading.

Don't forget to bring a good dose of patience with you. I know that may be hard for a lot of folks but there are some things you cannot control. So why get your feathers all ruffled? Stay calm and carry on. You'll feel better when you finally reach your destination.

Yes.. I am not giving up flying so I make the best of it!   The only time I really destest flying is into NYC during the holidays  and then it is time for the train Woman Very Happy

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 22

CHUCKIE1369 wrote:

In today's society of flying it sucks. Between rude people who disregard the handicap and the TSA, and the space that you seat in , is not fun anymore. So my last flight anywhere will be to LAS VEGAS,NV for my 65th birthday. And thank GOD it's a straight flight. Though what I do while in the airport, buy a bottle of water $4.00, grab a newspaper $1.50, and finally 4 mix drinks or beers, so I can sleep the whole flight. The skies are not friendly anymore !

Wow  I am sorry you have had such bad experiences..  I cannot say I have.  

Have a great time in Vegas!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 22

I will no longer fly on an airplane.   When my parents were alive I'd fly across the country several times a year to visit them.   I also flew several times a year to San Francisco.  However, airports are different now than they were then.  Now some strange people, who probably get paid plenty, have "jobs" where they can legally "grope" people in the guise of searching for weapons.  Keep your hands off me!  Airports are more crowded than ever, and manners have disappeared.  I'll stay home, thank you.

Bronze Conversationalist

How to Have a Great Layover

Message 10 of 22

I call my son Ambrose to get me out of there and order a train ticket to where I have to go! I really don't want to visit him since he did what he did. And his wife Amanda <bleep> I don't know why she marred him <bleep>

But to get to my story! I try not to fly at all since I don't have anywhere to go anyone. I just visit the center to get what I need, just as long as Agnus is there all ready and able! Flying is bad, but staying put is a whole lot better than ever!

(Created through the SPOK-TEK software program)