Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Info Seeker

Re: How do you save money for a trip?

Message 1 of 9

AARP Executive Board ,

why do you avoid standing up to the cruise lines for charging your senior members both men and women DOUBLE the BASIC price when booking solo .

aARP is suppose to HELP senior members not just go along when companies are taking advantage of your members .

95 percent of people sailing today are retired seniors . Especally when going more than two weeks .

now when they have lost their mate and still travel , the price is double ???

please AARP make a big attempt to help your members .

Bernardofboca@gmail.com

Report Inappropriate Content
Super Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 9

Every day I throw my pocket change into a bucket in the Hall.  By the end of the year I have enough cash for an all expense paid trip to the destination of my choice.  

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 9

Taking advantage of my experience using military allotments to automatically pay bills or provide money to my spouse while deployed, I have established a seperate money market account for savings and initiated an automatic monthly transfer from my checking to that money market account.  The money that accumulates is used for vacations, large expenses (homeowners and auto insurance, etc.) and unexpected expenses.  Since the money is automatically transfered, it is out of sight, out of mind and not part of my budget.  It is also almost an automatic response to enter the transaction in my check book, since my bank sends me a transaction notice of the transfer.  The tactic has worked for me for many years and usually results in enough of a surplus to accumulate a nice savings account.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 9

The best way to save up for anything, is to frequently re-evaluate your priorities. That way, you'll have the assets for what you value the most, without too much effort at all. Once it becomes "out-of-sight-out-of-mind", you'll forget about your prioities, regardless of any intentional effort to compensate.

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 9

I only do two things.  I use airline points I've accumulated throughout the year towards an airline ticket and I budget my total trip expenditure (including an airline ticket if not enough points).  Each month I put my trip expenditure funds in a vacation account.  This is easily done automatically from my online savings accounts.  When I go on vacation, then I buy my tickets and pay for my vacation when returning from this vacation fund.  Ready to start contributing to the next months.  So far I haven't over spent my account, but I haven't gone to Vegas yet either.  :-)

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 9

I use multiple ways.  A mileage credit card for flights, Travel during mid season, on the cusp between winter or summer.  I have a portion of my check direct deposit into a travel savings account.  When I can I try to book hotels with breakfast. And last of all look for deals

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 9

AARPLynne wrote:

When you make travel plans, how do you save money for the trip? Some people will travel off-season for better rates. While frequent travelers can save by using reward points, like airline miles or hotel loyalty programs to offset costs. 

How do you save money for a trip?

I use a card for points for hotel and travel.. it works very well!!   

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 9

Basically the same way I save money for anything: I have our income checks direct deposited into a savings account and distribute funds from there.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Community Manager

Message 9 of 9

When you make travel plans, how do you save money for the trip? Some people will travel off-season for better rates. While frequent travelers can save by using reward points, like airline miles or hotel loyalty programs to offset costs.