Retired Community Manager

How do you avoid travel scams?

A new AARP poll on traveling with confidence shows that older travelers may have a blind spot to potential pitfalls in the planning and booking process, despite being prime targets for travel scams. We have some tips to help you plan and execute your travel plans and avoid travel scams and fraud. 

Have you ever been a victim of a travel scam? Do you have any tips for avoiding them?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

We book everything ourselves. It takes a long time, lots of research, but we've not encountered any problems. I always follow up with the places we're going to stay, about a week before departure, confirming (again), my reservation.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

The scams can be avoided completely by staying home!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Always use a reputable, preferably local, travel agent.  In my experience, they can often match any "good deal" you may find and in many cases can even beat it.  Plus, if you encounter problems while traveling (eg, cancelled flights) they can often help you.  Sure, they may charge a fee for their services but I'm more than willing to pay it for their expertise and knowedge, plus for my own peace of mind!

0 Kudos