Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you avoid travel scams?

Message 1 of 4

We book everything ourselves. It takes a long time, lots of research, but we've not encountered any problems. I always follow up with the places we're going to stay, about a week before departure, confirming (again), my reservation.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

The scams can be avoided completely by staying home!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

Always use a reputable, preferably local, travel agent.  In my experience, they can often match any "good deal" you may find and in many cases can even beat it.  Plus, if you encounter problems while traveling (eg, cancelled flights) they can often help you.  Sure, they may charge a fee for their services but I'm more than willing to pay it for their expertise and knowedge, plus for my own peace of mind!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How do you avoid travel scams?

Message 4 of 4

A new AARP poll on traveling with confidence shows that older travelers may have a blind spot to potential pitfalls in the planning and booking process, despite being prime targets for travel scams. We have some tips to help you plan and execute your travel plans and avoid travel scams and fraud. 

Have you ever been a victim of a travel scam? Do you have any tips for avoiding them?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet