From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Great Eats while travelling?

Message 1 of 21

I enjoy food markets while I wander new surroundings.  I like to try locals foods especially if I am somewhere I have never been before. Trying new dishes is part of the over all experience for me.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

Pack your own snacks: fruit, nuts, crackers, veggies for the road or the air. Choose the yogurt and fruit at the ‘free’ hotel breakfasts, skipping the high fat/cal pastries, bagels, waffles. Choose hotels with at least a refrig and maybe a microwave. Stock some lunch items like cheese or cold cuts to lunch on in addition to fruit and veggies. Save half your restaurant dinner, refrig it and reheat in the microwave to eat for lunch the next day. Visit local specialty food shops and pick up parts to a meal, probably less $$ than a restaurant. Visit and purchase wines at the local winery, a definite saving over restaurants. Choose a restaurant with BYO alcohol. For years we ate breakfasts and lunches from local grocery stores and splurged on a great evening meal. And, back when traveling with a hungry teen son, I’d push a peanut butter sandwich prior to dinner: it reduced the $$$ because it took the edge off his appetite and he didn’t order everything on the menu. Remember food handling safety! 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

We've been to Hawaii over a dozen times.

For healthy eating, get a condo with a kitchen and an outdoor grill.

Ahi tuna, grilled....to die for! (Get a saver card at most groceries. Some groceries are expensive, some aren't.) Check out farmers markets and buy locally produced produce.

To save money, eat where the locals eat ; not necessarily healthy, but cheap and fun!

Avoid the touristy restaurants, overpriced and you may as well stayed on the mainland.

Aloha.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21
Kudos!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

This may sound strange, but hospital cafeteras are a good source of healthy foods at a very reasonable cost. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

We invented the "gelato diet."  Since gelato has no cholesterol and is low in fat, when traveling in Europe particularly we make a point to stop for a small container of gelato around 3 pm. That way we're not so hungry at dinner time and eat a smaller meal. We do the same on cruises so we don't overeat. We combine this with lots of walking and have each lost 5 lbs on average every time we travel or cruise.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

When we travel, in our camper, we always eat our usual healthy breakfast at camp. Then we will usually have a late lunch out, as we are exploring. We try to choose healthy options. Then at night, back at the camper, we will have soup or a salad for a light dinner. on a recent trip for 3 weeks, neither one of us gained a pound. We actually lost a few because we did a lot of walking. 

When we fly and stay in a hotel, same thing. We stock up on fresh fruit, yougurt (if we have a fridge), nuts, etc. Sure we want to try out the local cusine, but we try to eat smart.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

Depending on your mode of vacationing, Timeshare, hotel, RV, etc. , My wife and I always try to book rooms or a Timeshare with at least a partial kitchen. We hit the local grocery store and buy healthy snacks, items for at least a couple picnic lunches, breakfast foods and drink. We always come out way ahead dollar wise and save valuable family time out of busy restaurants. As far as eating Healthy Food, that’s up to an individuals choices when in the grocery aisles. This works well for us and I’m sure it can for you also depending on what your priorities are while vacationing. The main thing is to relax and enjoy!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

I learnt quickly that you need to plan your meals ahead of time.  If your flight arrives at 9 PM, by the time you get to the hotel and ready to eat your only choice might be fast food and that is not going to work out well.  I try to schedule flights which leave me time to eat before boarding, or when I get there.  Check ahead and see what's around your arrival destination that would offer a suitable meal at the time you will be there.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

You never know if local restaurants are safe so stick to well known restaurants like McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King and such where you know they operate with stringent food safety standards.  You do not want to contract food poisoning while traveling and wind up in the hospital! 🏨

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark