Forced Nursing Home Evictions Must Stop. AARP Foundation Is Helping Protect the Most Vulnerable. Learn How

Info Seeker

Re: Great Eats while travelling?

Message 1 of 16

We invented the "gelato diet."  Since gelato has no cholesterol and is low in fat, when traveling in Europe particularly we make a point to stop for a small container of gelato around 3 pm. That way we're not so hungry at dinner time and eat a smaller meal. We do the same on cruises so we don't overeat. We combine this with lots of walking and have each lost 5 lbs on average every time we travel or cruise.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 16

When we travel, in our camper, we always eat our usual healthy breakfast at camp. Then we will usually have a late lunch out, as we are exploring. We try to choose healthy options. Then at night, back at the camper, we will have soup or a salad for a light dinner. on a recent trip for 3 weeks, neither one of us gained a pound. We actually lost a few because we did a lot of walking. 

When we fly and stay in a hotel, same thing. We stock up on fresh fruit, yougurt (if we have a fridge), nuts, etc. Sure we want to try out the local cusine, but we try to eat smart.

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 16

Depending on your mode of vacationing, Timeshare, hotel, RV, etc. , My wife and I always try to book rooms or a Timeshare with at least a partial kitchen. We hit the local grocery store and buy healthy snacks, items for at least a couple picnic lunches, breakfast foods and drink. We always come out way ahead dollar wise and save valuable family time out of busy restaurants. As far as eating Healthy Food, that’s up to an individuals choices when in the grocery aisles. This works well for us and I’m sure it can for you also depending on what your priorities are while vacationing. The main thing is to relax and enjoy!

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 16

I learnt quickly that you need to plan your meals ahead of time.  If your flight arrives at 9 PM, by the time you get to the hotel and ready to eat your only choice might be fast food and that is not going to work out well.  I try to schedule flights which leave me time to eat before boarding, or when I get there.  Check ahead and see what's around your arrival destination that would offer a suitable meal at the time you will be there.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 16

You never know if local restaurants are safe so stick to well known restaurants like McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King and such where you know they operate with stringent food safety standards.  You do not want to contract food poisoning while traveling and wind up in the hospital! 🏨

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 16

"Bomb" is not in  my food vocabulary. Explain in food terms....

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 16

When we are looking for a place to eat and we want a simple lunch or dinner we ask a local, construction worker, store clerk, etc. where they go for lunch or dinner, or where is their favorite place to take company that comes to town.  We travel by motorcycle and camp most of the time, so we eat a late breakfast/lunch with first gas up (we call it blunch), then cook dinner at the campground.  Simple fare, but good.  

Bronze Conversationalist

Great Eats while travelling

Message 8 of 16

When I travel, there are eats!

Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 16

I think food is an important part of the whole travel experience.  From state to state and country to country tastes are varied and part of the local culture.  I always like to try the local cuisine.  Cuban sandwiches in Tampa or burritos in Southern California.  YUMMMMM !!!

alaskadude1948
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 16

retiredtraveler wrote:

Yes. We gear our travel diet around mountain hiking, which is 95% of our travel time. You know about that!  There is nothing better than a PB&J, with an apple, while sitting up at 12,000 feet (after you hiked 4 miles up and gained 2500 feet in altitude), while taking in a 360-degree view.

After we spend day after day doing that, we really have no interest in visiting a restaurant, much less going into town. 

You understand this........ 

@retiredtraveler Indeed I do. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving