Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Do you like to drive?

Message 1 of 19

@ps4326  Yeah, it's a good thing to have the technology: it is often quite useful. But back in the day, I fell in love with maps (had an actual account with Metzger!) Those maps showed EVERYTHING! This was when knowing exacting detail about an area was part of my work. Now that I'm riding around looking at rock outcrops and trying to spot apple trees in the forest (signs of settler encampments) I like something that shows terrain as well as various levels of road surfaces. And I think it's good to keep map reading skill honed. Fun too. Smiley Happy

BTW your rig sounds like a blast!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 19

We use the GPS sometimes, but I agree about the maps.  I just like to take out the US Road Atlas (I carry one in the van and in the motorhome!) and look at all the wonderful places to go and see.  We laugh at some of the names of towns we see, and sometimes just fo to one so we can say we've been there.  Our RV is in for service, and I really wanted to go leaf peeping, however I guess that's in the plans for next year.  Thought of going to the Catskills in NY.

Message 3 of 19

Me too! I'm a road trip kinda gal!  Gimme a map, a buncha music and the open road! (DH uses GPS and Apple maps, but I luvs me a road atlas.)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 19

I love to drive!  We have had conversion vans for over 30 years and this is my vehicle to get around in.  Some friends say, "how can you drive this big vehicle?", but I love it.  I feel like King (queen) of the road!  I don't like small cars.  Feel like I am sitting on the road.  We have the 37 ft. class A motorhome and I love driving that, too.  You feel like you are floating in that big rig. 

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 19

My bride and I both like driving a lot.  For many years - I did all the driving; not because she was not a good driver - but, because I was the man - I figured it was my duty.  Things have changed.  Starting about 15 years ago - we commenced splitting the driving.  Then - maybe 6 years ago - she started taking the wheel more and more - and now -she does all the driving.  And - I must admit - she really is an excellent driver.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 19

Yes!.  We have a Class A - 37 ft. motor home and have done some long distance trips.  We stop whenever we are tired, hungry or need to use our lavatory.  So convenient and fun to stop whenever we see something interesting along the way.  We went from New Jersey to South Dakota and back - took 3 weeks in September 2 years ago and loved it.  My husband is an amputee.  Lost his left leg but can still drive.  This is a comfortable way for him to travel.  Before we owned our RV we have flown to a far destination and rented a motor home to see the area, then return the RV and fly back home.  Before that we had a pop-up camper when the kids were youngsters.  Nice for the kids!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 19

To answer the question: No.

DW and I have done, towing a popup camper for a number of years across country. But that's over, and we always fly and rent a car in order to do our national park hiking trips.

We do take at least one trip a year, where we drive, in order to carry our bicycles. But, we don't drive further than a day away.

When I go to the UK every year, it's all public transportation for me.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 8 of 19

2Papa wrote:

Once I decided to drive from D.C. to NYC.  My cousin decided to fly and we would meet there.  I beat him there because his flight was delayed two or three times due to maintenance issues!  Don't always assume flying is faster!

So what did you do with your car in Manhatten?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 9 of 19

rockaria wrote:

I like to go places, but I wish I didn't have to drive.  I want to be able to teleport.  I just want to be there.  I don't enjoy the process of going there.  I wish someone else could do the driving so I could enjoy the sights along the way for a change.  My sister (who doesn't have a car) is always pointing out interesting things she sees, but I usually can't see them because I'm driving.

I like the teleport idea  but have you ever considered alternatives?  Bus, train, other drivers?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Conversationalist

Message 10 of 19

my husband and I love driving on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Pkwy during the fall foliage...very beautiful and peaceful!