Ask Your Questions About Open Enrollment At AARP’s Webinar ‘Medicare: Your Questions Answered’ at 7 p.m. ET. Register Here

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Re: Do you like to drive?

Message 1 of 14 (320 Views)

Yes!.  We have a Class A - 37 ft. motor home and have done some long distance trips.  We stop whenever we are tired, hungry or need to use our lavatory.  So convenient and fun to stop whenever we see something interesting along the way.  We went from New Jersey to South Dakota and back - took 3 weeks in September 2 years ago and loved it.  My husband is an amputee.  Lost his left leg but can still drive.  This is a comfortable way for him to travel.  Before we owned our RV we have flown to a far destination and rented a motor home to see the area, then return the RV and fly back home.  Before that we had a pop-up camper when the kids were youngsters.  Nice for the kids!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 14 (333 Views)

To answer the question: No.

DW and I have done, towing a popup camper for a number of years across country. But that's over, and we always fly and rent a car in order to do our national park hiking trips.

We do take at least one trip a year, where we drive, in order to carry our bicycles. But, we don't drive further than a day away.

When I go to the UK every year, it's all public transportation for me.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 14 (540 Views)

2Papa wrote:

Once I decided to drive from D.C. to NYC.  My cousin decided to fly and we would meet there.  I beat him there because his flight was delayed two or three times due to maintenance issues!  Don't always assume flying is faster!

So what did you do with your car in Manhatten?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 14 (543 Views)

rockaria wrote:

I like to go places, but I wish I didn't have to drive.  I want to be able to teleport.  I just want to be there.  I don't enjoy the process of going there.  I wish someone else could do the driving so I could enjoy the sights along the way for a change.  My sister (who doesn't have a car) is always pointing out interesting things she sees, but I usually can't see them because I'm driving.

I like the teleport idea  but have you ever considered alternatives?  Bus, train, other drivers?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Conversationalist

Message 5 of 14 (561 Views)

my husband and I love driving on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Pkwy during the fall foliage...very beautiful and peaceful!

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 14 (635 Views)

I'm a truck driver so yeah, I guess I do. On the weekends even though I drive all week I still take the occasional road trip. I take my little dog and we go check out historical sites or just grab lunch in a different city. My last road trip took me to the Hill Country of Texas where I climbed to the top of Enchanted Rock. That was another item checked off my bucket list.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 14 (718 Views)

Once I decided to drive from D.C. to NYC.  My cousin decided to fly and we would meet there.  I beat him there because his flight was delayed two or three times due to maintenance issues!  Don't always assume flying is faster!

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 14 (733 Views)

I love driving vacations, but not in the USA.  Give me Europe any day.  Drivers in the USA are angry when they get in their cars.  Drivers in Europe are much more considerate and tolerant.  I spent three months driving all over Europe including ex-Soviet block countries with no problems.  When I got back to the USA I was terrified.  We have crazy agressive drivers here.  

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 14 (807 Views)

Now that I am retired I enjoy road trips...I have gone across Canada and then returned via U.S.  I traveled up through BC and the Yukon and into Alaska this spring...I have lived in the southeast  Ak. for 27 years, but had not been into the interior...I went to Anchorage and Fairbanks and back down...You have to rely

on the Ferry system to get to the mainland, but that is the only inconvienience. I travel with my 11 pound dog who is a very good co-pilot... I would like to travel back down to Calf next year...I used to live there..

I enjoy all the sights and stay at hotels along the way.

retired chef & co-pilot

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 14 (905 Views)

My partner and I enjoy taking our motorcycles across country as often as we can. On our trip to Colorado from Ohio this summer I proposed to her on the Continental Divide in the Rocky Mtn. National Park. We. Usually cover around 5,000 miles on a trip. She'd rather travel by motorcycle than a car or camper. Next year we're planning a visit to Yellowstone.