You Can Double the Difference You Make for Vulnerable Seniors — Donate Today, and Your Gift Will Be Matched! Find Out More

Info Seeker

Re: Do you like to drive?

Message 21 of 26

Now that I am retired I enjoy road trips...I have gone across Canada and then returned via U.S.  I traveled up through BC and the Yukon and into Alaska this spring...I have lived in the southeast  Ak. for 27 years, but had not been into the interior...I went to Anchorage and Fairbanks and back down...You have to rely

on the Ferry system to get to the mainland, but that is the only inconvienience. I travel with my 11 pound dog who is a very good co-pilot... I would like to travel back down to Calf next year...I used to live there..

I enjoy all the sights and stay at hotels along the way.

retired chef & co-pilot

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 22 of 26

My partner and I enjoy taking our motorcycles across country as often as we can. On our trip to Colorado from Ohio this summer I proposed to her on the Continental Divide in the Rocky Mtn. National Park. We. Usually cover around 5,000 miles on a trip. She'd rather travel by motorcycle than a car or camper. Next year we're planning a visit to Yellowstone. 

Conversationalist

Message 23 of 26

We love road trips!  My husband and I have another couple we go on road trips with every year.  We live in Utah and went to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado this year.  Went to Durango and ended up coming home through southern Utah.  We enjoy seeing the scenery and bring able to stop and explore.  Our favorite place to explore is Utah, but we do like to try new places.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 24 of 26

My wife and I love to take the truck and our travel trailer and head out. Generally we keep our driving to 4-6 hours a day camping along the way. Our trips are less about the destination than about all we can see along the way. Next up is South Dakota and Mount Rushmore. Trying to live simply and experiencing all we can.

J

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 26

I like to go places, but I wish I didn't have to drive.  I want to be able to teleport.  I just want to be there.  I don't enjoy the process of going there.  I wish someone else could do the driving so I could enjoy the sights along the way for a change.  My sister (who doesn't have a car) is always pointing out interesting things she sees, but I usually can't see them because I'm driving.

Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Do you like to drive?

Message 26 of 26

I do.  As a matter of fact I just returned to St. Petersburg, Florida from my 3rd coast-to-coast trip since last October.  I must admit these trips were paid for by my former employer for whom I was doing some consulting/training work for.  Every time I stayed about two months out in Los Angeles before returning.  I tried to take different routes each time.  As far as interstate driving is concerned my observation is that much of our interstate system is in dire need of repairs and upgrades.  Overall I found I-10 to be one of the best maintained all across the country.  If you love dodging semi-trailer rigs from coast to coast then I-40 is your baby.  I've never seen as many rigs in my life!  In many places it is one nasty highway to drive on.  On many stretches of I-40 all the trucks drive in the left lane because the right lane is so chewed up and rough.  I really like to drive the back roads and stay in smaller towns and there are plenty to choose from.  Not trying to get political but I've found myself, on numerous occasions, thinking how great it would be if we could start spending more tax dollars on our highways and infrastructure and less on endless wars halfway around the planet.  There's lots to see out there....just hop in your car and go see it.

alaskadude1948