Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Do we save from AARP Travel?

Message 1 of 3

@SamY5968,

I, too, welcome you to the board here but I am afraid not with good news.

AARP discounts are mostly a sham.

While a few can be garnered no where else; the discounts at most entities such as hotels, restaurants, travel, and attractions can be gotten from other sources and usually at a much better price.

The biggest sham of them all is AARP's Rewards For Good Program, especially as relates to the restaurant offerings. Close to 100% of the offerings in that program(where you have to spend points to get the offering); can be gotten from other sources, with usually a better offer, and without having to spend any "points" to get it. Many many of the offerings are advertised, direct to you, in other sources of media regularly by the restaurants themselves. The Program is rarely updated so you regularly run into restaurants that are either closed for good or under new management that will not accept the coupon offering.

A blatant example of how this program is run is as follows:

There was a golf course in my area. There was spurious activity going on at that golf course. It got embroiled in all sorts of legal issues. It went bankrupt. Chain link fences were erected around the property while the legal wranglings were in progress. Weeds grew. The property looked abandoned. A year and a half passed.

It was then and only then, that AARP came out with a coupon for this golf course for a "buy one round, get one free"!!!!!! The place had been closed for over a year!!!!!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Do we save from AARP Travel?

Message 2 of 3

Hi @SamY5968 and welcome to the online community.

I shop around. Sometimes I find marginally lower cost deals via AARP, but mostly I find better hotel and package deals elsewhere. I don't fly enough to make use of airline rewards programs, but I have read time and again comments from those who do that those discounts are far better than anything AARP's travel center offers.

In general, I think AARP needs to offer deeper discounts. In general. Smiley Happy

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Do we save from AARP Travel?

Message 3 of 3

I am a newbie to AARP. AARP travel air ticket charges more compared to my Expedia air ticket search. Is it stupid to use AARP Travel? I wonder. Your thought is to be appreciated.

SamY

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark