From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Caregiver: Share Your Travel Story

Message 1 of 4

I retired early to become a caregiver for my husband with a diagnosis of ALS.  He has participated in five annual National Veterans Wheelchair Games (NVWG).  We have driven across the United States to Texas, Utah, Ohio, Arkansas, and Florida.  The Big State of Texas attracted over 700 athletes in wheelchairs.  Caregiver networking or speaking with other folks having similar challenges is such a benefit and so supportive.

Accessible bathroom facilities are the challenge during long road trips.  The Interstate highways usually have adequate stalls but pack a personal bag to carry in; just in case.  Off the interstates, we have found that the commercial about neighborhood pharmacies being on every corner is mostly true.  Walgreens and CVS both have accessible bathrooms! Blessing be upon them. 

I couldn't position this photo correctly.  The benefit of a Road Trip is stopping at National Parks

IMG_1228.JPG

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

We flew from Seattle to San Fran then took the Amtrak special scenic train to Santa Barbara.  We brought a wheel chair and 2 carry ons.  I had a backpack to carry snacks and jackets.  I let the airline and train personnel know we would need help.  The airline was fine, but the train personnel were pretty stretched.  We kept our humor about us and did fine. Planning clothes and food and logistics the key.  As a caregiver, it was important to grab rest and personal care time with minimal impact to my husband.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

It may not be easy, but if you are going to family it is worth the problem

Contact the airline and apprise them of your situation( my husband had a problem with bladder control ) so I found diapers that were not too bulky  We found a family bathroom and tried to use it before the flight

It was not a very pleasant flight for him, but seeing our first grandchildren ( twins ) was worth it !!!!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Caregiver: Share Your Travel Story

Message 4 of 4

Do you travel with a loved one you're caring for? Share your experiences here--where have you gone, what did you do, what challenges have you faced, and what tips do you have for overcoming these challenges.

And, be sure to share any photos and video (links to the video) from your travels, if you have any.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark