Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Travel ‘Takes A Day’ on ‘Dr. Phil’

Watch AARP's Stephanie Miles on the Dr. Phil show today as she motivates viewers to use their earned vacation days by highlighting the mental, physical and social benefits of taking time off. Self-described workaholic Lorraine Cruz, 51, receives a $5,000 travel gift card from Expedia through resources at AARP.org/takeaday. Check your local listings.

I would like to be chosen for the take a day. I’m a working Grandma raising my 9 year old grandson. We would like to go on a vacation and take a day together. 

0 Kudos

I would love to take a break. Like the Calgon commercial ... Dr. Phil/AARP TAKE ME AWAY. Should I start packing? Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would love a day off, the only days off I ever take is for a meeting or conference. I did not use either of my personal days last year and have not this year either. I work about 5 different jobs at our school and am always busy at school and at home! I would love a day off! 

Thanks! 

Delenia 

0 Kudos

Watch Dr. PHIL today and would love to be able to take a day for myself. I just can't afford it. I would love to be chosen. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi!  My name is LORETTA ROGERS I WORK for United States post service.  My husband died 4 yrs ago and after this my life has never been the same again.  Work is VERY....VERY stress FULL...

0 Kudos

Would love the opportunity to take a day off....guilt free 

0 Kudos

We have been married almost 45 years and have never had a real wedding, I would love to have a family and friends wedding with all 5 children and 22 grand babies there to celebrate, we have worked so much and so hard and always felt guilty taking time for us, we could actually have some getaway time. Too

0 Kudos
Contributor

Spoiler
Dr. Phil

I would love a day to get away to just forget about everything. I'm struggling with so many things from financial, to trying to find a job that I can sit down on and health wise. I just want to forget even if it's just a day or two. Thank you Paula Mantz

0 Kudos

Hello there!

I would love a day off. I work two and three jobs. 

Thank you!

I would love to be considered for your Take A Day I do nothing but work. I'm almost 65 have 8 grandchildren and I'm a Full Time Office Manager for a large Retail Furniture Store. My job always comes first. I work every Saturday and Sunday and All Holidays. When I'm off all I do is lay on my sofa. I always use the excuse I'm a working Grandma which gives me no babysitting options.  Really not a bad excuse but some times it's hard I do miss some birthday parties though.  I try not to miss sports activities but do miss some.  Dance Recital always requires a personal day which I feel guilty taking. I'm always wondering if things are running smoothly at work instead of enjoying grandbabies do their thing.  So please consider me for this so needed ME DAY

0 Kudos

Please consider me, for the 500 dollar gift card. I would love to have a relaxing day off, to get my hair done and get a manicure and pedicure. I am a single mother, work five days a week and pick up extra time on the weekend just to pay my bills. Living pay check to pay check. Never have extra money to treat myself. I would be so grateful and thankful, just to have a day off for me. Brownpatriciaa@bellsouth.net

0 Kudos

Hello, I am Judith Lynch and my husband I are coming up on our 50 Wedding Anniversary. I would like to get the take-a-day prize and if possible the $500.00 prize. Thank you for your consideration. 

0 Kudos

Hi Dr Phil,   I too have been a caregiver since 1998.  We never find the time to take care of Us.  As of Oct 13 day before my birthday. Found out I am a diabetic 2.  So man signs before. But again I wasn’t giving me the me time needed. As of then I am now not working and on Medicaid. No money coming in to help with the bills. All on my husband till I turn 62 in oct. I would cherish to have a spa day and take a nap and see a movie with my BFF in California. You would be proud to know I have lost 70pounds which helps my A1C.  Take care and best wishes to whoever wins. Thank you for allowing me to talk about me for a short while.  Hugs. Debbie

0 Kudos
Contributor

I don't quite know what to do for this ,"takes a day thing" or if someone will even get this.  But I would like to be considered for the $500.00 card as I have raised my 21 and 23 year old girls mostly on my own and could never afford a trip.  Money was always tight and they would beg to go on trips like their friends.  I became mostly disabled from being in the Army and then a mail carrier that I got put on a fixed income and was laying on the couch most of the time and it was so hard for my kids growing up.  It would mean so much to them and I to beable to go somewhere as a family.  They have longed for so long for a family trip.  It has been a rough life but we are blessed to have eachother.  Please consider us for the travel card.  Thank you.  Kari Jo Yarke sawyerkailee@gmail.com

0 Kudos

It saddens me that this woman who received this gift was so ungrateful for it and probably won't use it and there's someone like me with stage 3 lung cancer with a travel bucket list a mile long who would have been so so grateful for an amazing gift like that and will never get the opportunity this woman was given. I'm not saying at all that I'm more deserving just because I have cancer. I'm saying she's could have at least pretended she MIGHT take a day off and spend time with her kids. Some of us would give a limb for that opportunity. I just feel sad when people take amazing things like that gift for granted. That's all. Sorry if I sound like I'm having a pity party. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

your allowed no apolgies nessasary; you deserve it; I have been care giver for my bedridden mom 4 yrs; very hard ,but love her so much; but you sure need this GOD BLESS YOU''

0 Kudos

I

The 5 min segment on Dr. Phil was about AARPs' take a day", featuring a single mother who found it impossible to take time off to go on vacation with her two sons.   Gist; Americans are now having a hard time dragging themselves away from work  for vacation, even respite. Dr. Phil surprised her with a $5000 package which would enable her to do, using the 'Take a Day' site to plan, which he wholeheartedly and enthusiastically endorsed.  The site IS juicy and really fun to use.

Sadly, I am in full agreement with the lady who, so very ill,  nevertheless contributes here. The woman  on the show actually had the audacity to  thank the talking this way; 'thank you, even though I'm not sure I'll take it (this vacation with her two sons  would be their first time  six years) but thank you'.  Dr. Phil grimaced at this remark but was the usual class act. My stomach is still tight from squirming through that segment.  In the past, I have been 'in the zone' at work and thoroughly enjoyed it. It did take some work to redirect myself,  leave the office and give my full attention to my two sons. Yes, coincidently I also have two adult sons now,  both college graduates with terrific jobs and my older son was married two years ago. But these kids know how to take a vacation and they're out of this country, or at least the continent, more than once a year. I'm proud to say they've left me in the dust and I will admit here that I have spent many a day wishing they had more time to spend with mom. I can't be unhappy about this though -- they are doing so well!! MY TURN!  Off to Yosemite ...