Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Travel ‘Takes A Day’ on ‘Dr. Phil’

Watch AARP's Stephanie Miles on the Dr. Phil show today as she motivates viewers to use their earned vacation days by highlighting the mental, physical and social benefits of taking time off. Self-described workaholic Lorraine Cruz, 51, receives a $5,000 travel gift card from Expedia through resources at AARP.org/takeaday. Check your local listings.

Hi

Would love to have a day to treat myself and  share with a friend or two.. Busy working mom of 2 kids in the healthcare field. Always taking care of others, it would be a great day. 

0 Kudos

Hi there, 

My name is shirley and I am single and work 3 part-time jobs that don't pay enough to afford a vacation.  I've never entered any contests or asked for any financial help so this is very humbling to me to be asking for this chance to receive a $500 card just for myself.  I don't have any children or spouse so I also have no one to motivate me to take time for myself.  I would love the chance to go somewhere to recharge.  Thank you for even considering me.  

0 Kudos

i would like to be able to get a 500.00 card i have cancer and have a year to live we will be married 48 years march 21 never had a honeymoon we raised 3 kids and always used money for them my husband lost his leg in 98 this would be so great to have a day to ourselves thank you so much i just love watching u dr phil and your wife is so pretty
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would like to take a few days off to spend time with my husband. After losing our only child at 19.our depression has had us not being able to celebrate each other. We would love to receive this gift . Because his job don't like giving Personal time off . It  will help Thanks in advance

Regular Contributor

Bless you!  Sounds like taking a day off with your husband to connect and heal is the right thing to do.  Be sure to enter the sweepstakes at aarp.org/takeaday for a chance to win one of the $500 giveaways.  Best of luck to you!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Good day, I'm Teresa,

I would love to take a day.

A little about me, I'm a single mother of 4 and Nana of 1.

I've been single 15 years, raising my children.

I've worked for 35 years as a machinist /mechanic,  I work 7 days a week.

If I have a day off I would love to take all my kids to eat, and enjoy them all together at one table.

Thank you Teresa Esquivel 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing your story.  Taking time to be with your children and grandkids sounds terrific.  Be sure to enter the sweepstakes at aaprp.org/takeaday for a chance to win one of the $500 giveaways.  Good luck at gathering your loved ones.

0 Kudos

I would love to Have a day for my self, I have been cleaning houses for 30 years and have taken 1 Vacation.  I work every day because I have no time off and if I don't work I do not get paid, so my time is spent with my dogs and my husband which is fine, but would be nice to get away by my self for a day.

0 Kudos

I would love to take a day off. I am a senior citizen and worked all my life. Mostly caring for elderly people. Never have taken a vacation and no time for myself. This would be a great reward for myself.

0 Kudos

I retired in 2007, I would love to take a trip to Dayton, Ohio to celebrate my daughter’s 50th birthday with her family at Thanksgiving; she was born Thanksgiving Eve; we always celebrated on Thanksgiving.

Regards,

Betty Todf

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Be sure to enter the sweepstakes at aarp.org/takeaday for a chance to win one of the $500 giveaways.  Good luck in getting to Dayton!

0 Kudos

I would love to have a day off. I am a senior citizen and it seems like I still go non stop. I have worked most of my life taking care of elderly people. And now it seems to catching up with me

0 Kudos

Would luv a day off and be able to spend $500.00 I would feel richly BLESSED ☮️

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would really like to take some time off! I'm 45 year old woman with 5 kids one grandkid and one on the way I work 7 days a week it does come out to be in 40 hours a week. I'm a caretaker I work with people with disabilities I got 4 clients so I got a lot of work cut out for me I really could use a day off. I never have any money to actually take the time off so it would be nice to have some help. Kind of keeping it short and sweet. thank you and have a great day!!

0 Kudos

I would love to have a day to do whatever I please. I lost my husband recently and need a reason to leave my bed and house most days.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing your story.  Taking some time to improve social relationships is such a good idea.  Be sure to enter the sweepstakes at aarp.org/takeaday for a chance to win one of the $500 giveaways.  Good luck!

0 Kudos

Hello,

My name is Teresa Leonard.  I am going on 60 years old, and have been working as a teacher's assistant at an Elementary School for the past 14 - 15 years.  I am working towards my teaching certificate on-line at WGU.  I can't say that I never get time off, because I have the students schedule, but I have my time filled with tasks generally, and don't want to spend money on myself very often.  With school on-line, and never able to say no to friends and co-workers when they need help sewing, or mending their clothes, and helping out my own children whenever they need it, I find myself without much time to spare for myself, or funds to go with that time.  I would feel a little guilty for pampering myself for a day.  I suppose if it was a gift I wouldn't feel so selfish.  It might do me good.  That's why I am entering this contest.  Thanks for looking out for us older gals!

Teresa

0 Kudos

I would take the time away please

0 Kudos

Hello...I work full time at a school cafeteria... part time at a funeral home.. part time at a wedding barn.and part time at a convience store.. sure could use a break....!!!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Having just retired with my wife after 40 years of work, we need a vacation.   Would love to be able to head to a family wedding in August.   It would be the first time in soooo long that the whole family will be together, including 2 grandchildren that we rarely get to see because of distance & time.    

0 Kudos

I would love to win "Take A Day", honestly I'm retired but I don't feel I can spend the money to take even a short trip.. A couple of days at the beach would put me over the top on the happiest scale. I watch Dr Phil's show everyday, and enjoy his view point and ability to help others survive in this sometimes difficult world. 

0 Kudos

HI IVE BEEN TAKING CARE OF MY SUNDOWNER MOM FOR SEVEN YEARS NOTHING MORE THAT 5 HOURS A WEEK RESPITE  FOR ONE YEAR AND 6 MONTHS  I WOULD LOVE A DAY OFF FIVE HUNDRED WOULD PAY FOR A CAREGIVER RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH FOR THAT  THANKS LIZA HUSTON

0 Kudos
Contributor

Please choose me for the $500.00 giveaway. I haven't taken a day for me in 9 years. I work 2 jobs and take care of 2 adults with Autism. I would appreciate a day for me.

Thank you 

Kathleen Davis 

0 Kudos

I would love to take a day off. I'm a hairdresser and do for everyone. How great it would be to have a day getting my hair done, manicure and pedicure. Then I would say.... OH IT FEELS SOOO GOOD. 

0 Kudos

I would love to have a day off!

0 Kudos

I would love to be considered as 1 of those to be picked. I  am a mother of 2, 26, 23 and adopted a third age 13. I am a person that doesn't think of herself first I always put my family,  siblings and parents first. My mom past away in 2015, so I am that person that helps out my father within his household and helps out with my disabled brother, plus 2 grandkids that keeps me busy, they love grandma house.

0 Kudos
Contributor

This would be great for my husband I and I to take a trip to see out daughter in Missouri she is going to have a baby after many months of trying unsuccessfully pick me for the “Take a Day” thanks for the opportunity !

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

HELLO THERE....This little gift would be great for me..Im 70 years of age and yes. Four children and 11 grandchildren later....I still need a break..I’ve retired from my own daycare of 21 years...I still do a little respite work 40 hours a month...and have done a little private investigations during that time also.. always worked in some kind of human services... I was ALWAYS BUSY😊 Thanks for the opportunity to apply for this....

Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing your story.  Please be sure to enter the sweepstakes at aarp.org/takeaday for a chance to win one of the $500 giveaways.  Good luck!

0 Kudos

I would love to take a day. I work two part time jobs at my non profit agency to keep full time status due to working off of grant funded programs. I work really hard for both my programs and it can be extremely stressful at times and it is hard to get away. Especially when funds aren’t there. I have never been on a real vacation not even a family vacation.

0 Kudos