Medicare open enrollment begins Tuesday! Visit the AARP Medicare Resource Center for the information you need to make your best choices.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Travel ‘Takes A Day’ on ‘Dr. Phil’

Message 131 of 137

Hello, I am Judith Lynch and my husband I are coming up on our 50 Wedding Anniversary. I would like to get the take-a-day prize and if possible the $500.00 prize. Thank you for your consideration. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 132 of 137

Hi Dr Phil,   I too have been a caregiver since 1998.  We never find the time to take care of Us.  As of Oct 13 day before my birthday. Found out I am a diabetic 2.  So man signs before. But again I wasn’t giving me the me time needed. As of then I am now not working and on Medicaid. No money coming in to help with the bills. All on my husband till I turn 62 in oct. I would cherish to have a spa day and take a nap and see a movie with my BFF in California. You would be proud to know I have lost 70pounds which helps my A1C.  Take care and best wishes to whoever wins. Thank you for allowing me to talk about me for a short while.  Hugs. Debbie

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 133 of 137

I don't quite know what to do for this ,"takes a day thing" or if someone will even get this.  But I would like to be considered for the $500.00 card as I have raised my 21 and 23 year old girls mostly on my own and could never afford a trip.  Money was always tight and they would beg to go on trips like their friends.  I became mostly disabled from being in the Army and then a mail carrier that I got put on a fixed income and was laying on the couch most of the time and it was so hard for my kids growing up.  It would mean so much to them and I to beable to go somewhere as a family.  They have longed for so long for a family trip.  It has been a rough life but we are blessed to have eachother.  Please consider us for the travel card.  Thank you.  Kari Jo Yarke sawyerkailee@gmail.com

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 134 of 137

your allowed no apolgies nessasary; you deserve it; I have been care giver for my bedridden mom 4 yrs; very hard ,but love her so much; but you sure need this GOD BLESS YOU''

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 135 of 137

I

The 5 min segment on Dr. Phil was about AARPs' take a day", featuring a single mother who found it impossible to take time off to go on vacation with her two sons.   Gist; Americans are now having a hard time dragging themselves away from work  for vacation, even respite. Dr. Phil surprised her with a $5000 package which would enable her to do, using the 'Take a Day' site to plan, which he wholeheartedly and enthusiastically endorsed.  The site IS juicy and really fun to use.

Sadly, I am in full agreement with the lady who, so very ill,  nevertheless contributes here. The woman  on the show actually had the audacity to  thank the talking this way; 'thank you, even though I'm not sure I'll take it (this vacation with her two sons  would be their first time  six years) but thank you'.  Dr. Phil grimaced at this remark but was the usual class act. My stomach is still tight from squirming through that segment.  In the past, I have been 'in the zone' at work and thoroughly enjoyed it. It did take some work to redirect myself,  leave the office and give my full attention to my two sons. Yes, coincidently I also have two adult sons now,  both college graduates with terrific jobs and my older son was married two years ago. But these kids know how to take a vacation and they're out of this country, or at least the continent, more than once a year. I'm proud to say they've left me in the dust and I will admit here that I have spent many a day wishing they had more time to spend with mom. I can't be unhappy about this though -- they are doing so well!! MY TURN!  Off to Yosemite ...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 136 of 137

It saddens me that this woman who received this gift was so ungrateful for it and probably won't use it and there's someone like me with stage 3 lung cancer with a travel bucket list a mile long who would have been so so grateful for an amazing gift like that and will never get the opportunity this woman was given. I'm not saying at all that I'm more deserving just because I have cancer. I'm saying she's could have at least pretended she MIGHT take a day off and spend time with her kids. Some of us would give a limb for that opportunity. I just feel sad when people take amazing things like that gift for granted. That's all. Sorry if I sound like I'm having a pity party. 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

AARP Travel ‘Takes A Day’ on ‘Dr. Phil’

Message 137 of 137

Watch AARP's Stephanie Miles on the Dr. Phil show today as she motivates viewers to use their earned vacation days by highlighting the mental, physical and social benefits of taking time off. Self-described workaholic Lorraine Cruz, 51, receives a $5,000 travel gift card from Expedia through resources at AARP.org/takeaday. Check your local listings.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera