Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Travel ‘Takes A Day’ on ‘Dr. Phil’

Watch AARP's Stephanie Miles on the Dr. Phil show today as she motivates viewers to use their earned vacation days by highlighting the mental, physical and social benefits of taking time off. Self-described workaholic Lorraine Cruz, 51, receives a $5,000 travel gift card from Expedia through resources at AARP.org/takeaday. Check your local listings.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello everyone and thank you for posting to the AARP Online Community!

Don't miss your chance to enter the Declare a Day $500 Giveaway, please click here to complete your entry. (See Official Rules.)

0 Kudos

I agree. It is important!! We need a vacation so bad!! We have had a rough couple of years. My fiancee got laid off & exhausted his unemployment and I was in a bad motorcycle accident so I haven't worked since 2014 and got denied for disability. Please consider me for this amazing contest!!!

0 Kudos

This is amazing!! My fiancee is out of work & I was in a severe motorcycle accident so we are not able to go anywhere due to costs. Please.....we need this SO bad!!! We haven't had a vacation for about 3 yrs now. This would be a dream come true!!!

0 Kudos

Dr Phil my wife has been taking care of her 96 year old mother for 7 years she had to take early retirement. This is a 24 hour job. I really feel she deserves a vacation. We have a home inPA but had to rent a condo to be close. My wife does all the cooking and cleaning. Her leaving a job she loved was not only financially trying but socially takes a toll on her. Please consider her for a free day

0 Kudos

I would love to be able to take a day to go back to my home town and finally after all these years go to my mother's and grandmother's grave and leave flowers. Unfortu ately when my mom passes I was in the process of getting treatment for pheocromocytoma and having my adrenal glands removes and since then i have had a double mastectomy. I haven' been able to travel since then because my daughter had two twin extremely difficult pregnancies where the firat set was born so prematurely that I needed to be here for her and then the 2nd surprise pregnancy happened that I was just afraid to leave and we yes I said we spent the last 9 of 11 weeks of her pregnany inpatient and the last 2 weeks we went to the hospital every 2 days for testing until she delivered.  Now that she isn' pregnant and I'm having fewer doctor appointments for now and ahe can handle babies for a few days i juat need to gho home long enough to finally give my mom flowers. Thank you for even doing something lije this I'm sure whoever wins will enjoy. Maybe it will even be me. 😊

Spoiler

0 Kudos

A day get away would be wonderful!! I lost my soul mate of 32 yrs cause the hospital couldn't find a human heart for him, cause he had a bad heart when I met him and it didn't matter to me, cause he was so special to me. Things started going wrong at least a month before he passed and never while he was in the hospital did I think he was going to leave me and I even told the Dr that he'll do the artificial heart fine, but I was so wrong. He had the artificial heart surgery and two days later he was gone and I was devastated and I wanted to end my life, cause I'd never been without him. We even worked together for 12 yrs and it was awesome. I'd love to take my BFF of 37 yrs cause she helped me through it all and  I sure needed help. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just finished watching the Doctor Phil show regarding take a day or take a vacation. I just retired after working 38 years in healthcare. I would love to get away for a night or two and could really use extra money to do so. I also have 20 grandchildren six daughters two cats and the lovely husband and a night or two alone sounds wonderful. I hope that you consider me. Sincerely Debra Lester

0 Kudos
Contributor

I watch Dr Phil everyday. Last year I had told a wonderful friend of mine, I forgot who Karen was. I am a member of AARP, & told this friend, I never thought I’d see this day. I’m became ill, & had beautiful teeth. With a wrong  diagnosis, I lost my teeth, all I did was cried. I was told I had Lupus & was treated for yrs, went to Duke & no Lupus. I kept my hair done all the time, now it’s all about 4 of my grandchildren that live a nightmare. I get told to take care of me, but I’m not sure how to do that anymore. I’d love to try!! I love Dr Phil & AARP, get killer car insurance!!

0 Kudos

Just watched Dr. Phil and I understand how we are caught up in work and not take required ME time. I would love to take my sister on a much needed getaway. Stell would truly enjoy a getaway and have an opportunity to get over fear of flying. She will Jill me if she knew I submitted this request for the $500 vacation getaway 
0 Kudos

I would love to take a trip. I have never taken a vacation anywhere. I watched the Dr. Phil show and I would love to receive 500  for a day to get away.

0 Kudos

I and my wife have raised 8 chrildren to adulthood. We never had the time or funds to even get out of town. It has been a dream of my life to be able to enjoy a short vacation. we now have the time but not the means. I am in my middle 70's and she is just behind me. we would very much like to be considered for this program. We have a nice van that our kids provided for us. It would be great to make use of it . We are in great health.  Thanks for your consideration. 

our health is very good and we have the physical ability to travel and have a nice van. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Take a day....I have actually never truly taken a day for myself since giving birth in 1991. As a stay at home mom most of those years, I have revolved every day around my children and husband. This special giveaway you are offering is the only way I’d ever rationalize spending an extravagant amount on myself to simply relax. Please consider a tired, middle-aged mother whose last baby will graduate high school this June! 

Sincerely, Laura Lease, Valparaiso, IN

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello Dr. Phil and AARP

My name is Diana Gonzales and I am 59 years old. I worked for Smith's Food and Drug for 25 years but I had to quit to take care of my mom because she has MS. I've been taking care of her for the last 6 years with no job and no income. My job now is taking care of her house, taking care of the shopping, and meeting all of her needs to make sure she is ok. She is now 83 years old and I will never regret doing this for her but to be honest I sure could use a day. 

Thank you for your time

-Sincerely Diana Gonzales

0 Kudos

My husband and I are raising 2 of our grandchildren, sister and brother. She’s 7 and has sensory processing disorder and mild autism. He’s 3. Nothing more needs said on that! Lol. $500 would give us an awesome weekend vacation, something we haven’t had in 4 years! Winning this vacation money would mean the world to us. Thank you

Malinda

0 Kudos

I need a day for me, work is busy and loading at times. We've had a lot of turnover and I'm carry more than my share nowadays. Please help me have a day off for my sanity.

0 Kudos

I would love to take a day or a weekend to go visit my dad in Ohio who has cancer I haven’t seen him in two years.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would love the chance to win a day vacation. I am overly stressed in a daily basis. I took care of my mother fir 12 years and a daughter, husband, granddaughter, alcoholic sister and brother. I have always worried about everyone else and never myself. I say I’m going to stop but I don’t. I need one day to breath. I would love to win 

0 Kudos

Dear Dr. Phil & AARP Team;

I watched Ms. Miles on The Dr. Phil Show earlier today. I would love to be considered for your Takeaday contest. I use to be a major workaholic and busy mother of 2 young men. Unfortunately, due to several ongoing health issues, I was forced to leave my job and go onto Disability. Needless to say, as a workaholic, I went through a severe bout of depression. Since then, my ex-husband and I seperated in December 2006. We have since gone through a nasty divorce and I walked away without anything. Despite my health issues, I have always taken care of my parents and unfortunately lost my father on Christmas evening of 2007. I still continue to take care of my mother regarding all of her health issues as well as my own. Needless to say, on disability, I earn less than a quarter of what I use to make financially and now live paycheck to paycheck so, there is no extra money for me to take some time for myself. I'm always putting everyone and their needs, before my own, and could truly use some down time just to relax and unwind. If I would be considered as one of your recipients, just know that it would be appreciated more than words could express. Thank you for your consideration. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am needing some time this would be perfect for me! My husband of 18 yrs had 4 strokes a brain biopsy and is now unable to see. He is legally blind. He killed his pancreas from stress 6 yrs ago and is also a type 1 diabetic now.Between work,3 kids,taking care of my sick husband andtaking on our new life I am exhausted. Not to mention every day chores. Plz consider me for this opportunity. 

0 Kudos

Oh my goodness nothing would light up my life at this point, but a nice little day getaway with AARP and Dr Phil !!!  I have not had a vacation in 26 years and so a little day out on the island or maybe upstate with a friend would be a terrific change of pace.

If I do not win, congratulations to the lucky winner !!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am 70 years and raised 3 children by myself.  The only vacation I've ever had is visiting with family.  I couldn't afford to take an actual vacation.  I would like to fly to CA and visit with my sister then us drive to **bleep**.  Both of my sister this past year have had strokes.  I would like us to spend sometime together before it's to late.  So please consider me for the $500 vacation gift cars.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thank you for sharing your story.  Be sure to enter the sweepstakes at aarp.org/takeaday for a chance to win one of the $500 giveaways.  Good luck with visiting your sister.

0 Kudos

I would love to be able to take my son to the Grand Canyon.  He is 27 years old and I know soon he will not want to hand with his mom much more.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I’m trying to enter the giveaway. Where do I enter to win, per the dr. Phil show?
0 Kudos
Contributor

Dr phil:

id love to be included in the contest. I have not had the time to get away   I’ve been a single mom who raised three children on my own for fifteen years and the last two caring for ailing parents. It’s been difficult to get away. I’m self employed and can’t afford to take a day off. This opportunity who make my life a whole lot better thank you. Betty Stroll

0 Kudos

I’m sure I could  come up with all sorts of reasons why I would deserve this day as opposed to others but I won’t do that. I will simply say it will be a blessing and very much appreciated. Good luck to everyone. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just lost my life partner Gary.  He was sick for over 6 months. I stayed the entire month with him in the hospital.  Wouldnt change that for anything.  It would be so nice to have a day off.  Thanks for listening, Sharon

0 Kudos

Please my son moved home paying for a attorney to file for custody for my sons child just changed jobs my husband is not getting 40 hours a week all our bills are behind I’m so stressed that my anxiety is out of control 

0 Kudos

Hello Dr. Phil  I am writing you becuase I really need some needed me time.  I am a divorce lady that had to move back home to take care of my 73 year old mother which was diagnosed with Dementia and I also oversea my my mother's brother which he has seizures and he also is unable to talk becaause he has throat cancer they removed his voice box years ago.  Although I work from home I really do not get a chance to have leisure time unless it;s at home because of their condition.  I really hope you pick me crossing my fingers.

0 Kudos