Conversationalist

Your favorite age in life and why?

I like right where I am ( 57 ) Comfortable in my skin, and looking forward to more adventures, experiences, continuing to learn new things, challenging myself and meeting people from all walks of life.

Conversationalist

My favorite decade was my 20s. While married then, I got to live in South Korea, Germany, Maryland, Florida, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah. I got to have a fun and interesting career, and an easy mail order divorce, which gave me freedom to work and travel in Europe.

Conversationalist

@DeahC77388 ,  "Mail order divorce."  That's a new phrase for me. 😃 Sounds like you had an interesting life traveling.  I lived in Budapest, Hungary and traveled throughout Europe and Japan courtesy of General Electric and my former husband.  Christine

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Mail order divorce occurred while we were living in Germany courtesy of the Air Force. I contacted the bar association of Colorado, claimed state residency on the basis of my parents owning land there, told them I wanted a no fault divorce (going through German courts was expensive, lengthy and assigned fault). The Colo bar sent me a list of three names of lawyers willing to file for divorce for me, I picked the female, and presto chango, I was single in about 6 weeks. MUCH easier than the second divorce in Washington State. LOL

Wow, Budapest must have been interesting. The Iron Curtain was still up when I was in Europe, so it was strongly recommended that civilians attached to the US military not wander into East Europe.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@DeahC77388 , So smart to divorce the way you did.  Very clever! Mine was $13,000 and took nine months.  But I've heard of couples that take years to legally divorce.  Making a painful thing more painful ( and expensive. )  

I lived in Budapest for 2 1/2 years from mid 1991 to the end of 1993.  We got out there just as "Western" goods were arriving.  They had a single McDonalds.  By the time we left, there was a Burger King and Pizza Hut.  So funny to get calls from friends saying something had opened or there were Oreos at a store.  When we went out there, my former husband was addicted to Diet Coke and I was crazy about Grape-Nuts, so we brought those things out.  The hardest part was figuring out how many disposable diapers I would need for my 14 month daughter before she would be potty-trained!  Used cloth until 9 months and switched to disposable then.  When we moved back to NY, I didn't take anything for granted.  Glad to have had the experience. Christine

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Maybe a more interesting question would be,  your least favorite age ( or time in life ) ?  For me,  from 46-48,  at the end of my marriage ( 27 yrs ).  I clearly remembered praying for God to reveal a concrete reason to continue fighting for my marriage, or to leave.  Within hours, I had my answer, filed for divorce two days later, and left with a clear conscience! Christine

Conversationalist

My teen years were my least favorite for many reasons. High school is just hard for everyone isn't it? Or maybe just for introverts. But I also felt exceptionally controlled and repressed  in those years and couldn't wait to leave home for college and never look back. I even married in my junior year so I wouldn't have to spend another summer with my parents. LOL Not the best strategy for liberation. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Virtual Community Center 

Offering a wide variety of FREE interactive, online events and classes designed for learning, self-improvement, and fun. Learn More

Members Can Play More

Membership unlocks free online games and puzzles including classic Atari Games. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health