Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 23

Once two friends recommended Joyce Penny, I roared through all of her books and am on the hold list for her latest book.

Especially nowadays, I want to live in Three Pines.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 23

That title stuck a chord. I realized I had downloaded it to my kindle many months ago. Based on your comment, I started reading It last night. Very compelling. I appreciate her background in literature intertwined with her role as a doctor. I have been exploring the aging journey for a long time to help understand and cope with my own passage at almost 73 in November.

Thank you for the nudge.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 23
My wife and I have read 2 books by Louise Penny and have much enjoyed the exploits of Inspector 
Armand Gamache.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 23

My favorite book of this summer is Elderhood author:Louise Aronson.  I truly believe every person needs to read this book. It gave me much comfort but also clearer understanding of the medical world & how I can be a patient/participant in my own care & advocate/caregiver on behalf of another. I’m 79 this month & need more than ever this kind of compassionate knowledge for the current state of medical care as I continue in my twilight years. I hope many others are blessed by their reading. Louise feels like a personal friend because of her honesty & transparency.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 23

Excellent. I find it increasingly challenging to find books of this caliber at this point in life. Two of the best I have read. Only sad when I finished them. Might you have others you would recommend?

Thank you in this time of cholera.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 23

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 23

I belong to a bookoholics FB page and it sounds like it’s been common among a lot of readers during Covid 19...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 23

The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett and The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 23

I don't know if this qualifies as a book per se but is a scientific "special Paper 505" issued by The Geographical Society of America titled "Volcanism, Impacts, and Mass Extinctions: Causes and Effects" Edited by Gerta Keller and Andrew C. Kerr. 

Almost everyone, who is interested, is familiar with the story of how the Dinosaurs were made extinct by a 7 mile-wide asteroid which hit the Yucatan peninsula 66 million years ago.

The Smithsonian Natural History Museum, PBS NOVA and nearly all news outlets present this theory which is now nearly treated as settled science.

However, there are other scientists at Princeton Univ. who have thoroughly tested the "Impact Theory" for the past 30 plus years and found solid evidence to the contrary.

What I found surprising and fascinating was how contententious the issue is and the behavior of some these scientists was truly nasty and unprofessional which extends from the 1880s to the very present day.  I also learned from this, is science is essentially a process over time and settled by extensive testing and evidence and not settled by popularity or by vote.

After reading most of this paper, I believe the "Impact Theory" people still has the burden to prove their side of the issue and address the evidence presented by the Princeton scientists before I will accept their version.

The story of Gerta Keller, originally from Switzerland, is a fascinating story in and of itself which can be found in an article in "The Atlantic" 2018 for those who are interested.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 23
Spoiler
the escape artist by Helen Fremont. Ms. Fremont writes an engrossing memoir about her family which captivated me in that l couldn’t put it down. Jewish parents who escaped from the Holocaust and then lead their two daughters to believe they were catholic for decades. The family’s struggle with the author’s sister’s severe mental illness, and the author’s own issues with both an eating disorder, depression and coming to recognise herself as a lesbian. It’s a must read. 
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit