Community Manager
Community Manager

What's been your favorite book of the summer so far?

Do you have a favorite book you read this summer? 

One of ours is the #1 NYT bestseller “The Vanishing Half,” which HBO is turning into a series. Check out our interview with author Brit Bennett here:  https://facebook.com/thegirlfriendletter/videos/293300325072273 

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

"Little Fires Everywhere"  Now you can see the series on Hulu.

0 Kudos

Cutting For Stone

It follows a family from its odd inception, through its heartbreaks, its disasters, its shared love, its outrages, its triumphs. It is a beautiful work that made me laugh, cry, be angry and made my heart stand still. Highly recommended read 👍

0 Kudos

My favorite book of this summer is Elderhood author:Louise Aronson.  I truly believe every person needs to read this book. It gave me much comfort but also clearer understanding of the medical world & how I can be a patient/participant in my own care & advocate/caregiver on behalf of another. I’m 79 this month & need more than ever this kind of compassionate knowledge for the current state of medical care as I continue in my twilight years. I hope many others are blessed by their reading. Louise feels like a personal friend because of her honesty & transparency.

Periodic Contributor

That title stuck a chord. I realized I had downloaded it to my kindle many months ago. Based on your comment, I started reading It last night. Very compelling. I appreciate her background in literature intertwined with her role as a doctor. I have been exploring the aging journey for a long time to help understand and cope with my own passage at almost 73 in November.

Thank you for the nudge.

0 Kudos

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Excellent. I find it increasingly challenging to find books of this caliber at this point in life. Two of the best I have read. Only sad when I finished them. Might you have others you would recommend?

Thank you in this time of cholera.

The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett and The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I don't know if this qualifies as a book per se but is a scientific "special Paper 505" issued by The Geographical Society of America titled "Volcanism, Impacts, and Mass Extinctions: Causes and Effects" Edited by Gerta Keller and Andrew C. Kerr. 

Almost everyone, who is interested, is familiar with the story of how the Dinosaurs were made extinct by a 7 mile-wide asteroid which hit the Yucatan peninsula 66 million years ago.

The Smithsonian Natural History Museum, PBS NOVA and nearly all news outlets present this theory which is now nearly treated as settled science.

However, there are other scientists at Princeton Univ. who have thoroughly tested the "Impact Theory" for the past 30 plus years and found solid evidence to the contrary.

What I found surprising and fascinating was how contententious the issue is and the behavior of some these scientists was truly nasty and unprofessional which extends from the 1880s to the very present day.  I also learned from this, is science is essentially a process over time and settled by extensive testing and evidence and not settled by popularity or by vote.

After reading most of this paper, I believe the "Impact Theory" people still has the burden to prove their side of the issue and address the evidence presented by the Princeton scientists before I will accept their version.

The story of Gerta Keller, originally from Switzerland, is a fascinating story in and of itself which can be found in an article in "The Atlantic" 2018 for those who are interested.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Spoiler
the escape artist by Helen Fremont. Ms. Fremont writes an engrossing memoir about her family which captivated me in that l couldn’t put it down. Jewish parents who escaped from the Holocaust and then lead their two daughters to believe they were catholic for decades. The family’s struggle with the author’s sister’s severe mental illness, and the author’s own issues with both an eating disorder, depression and coming to recognise herself as a lesbian. It’s a must read. 
Contributor

Since this has been a year of either "stay at home" vacations or none at all, I'm going to go with authors instead of titles. Would you like to VISIT - - -

- the "4 Corners" area in the USA (AZ, NM, CO & UT) and meet the Native Americans who live there ?  = read a Tony Hillerman mystery !

- Quebec City in Canada and meet some Quebecois ?  = read Louise Penny !   I live in FL and since our summer is very hot I like to read one of her mysteries which take place in winter. 

- Ireland and visit with some of the Irish ?  = read a Maeve Binchy novel or short story collection for tales of life in Ireland !

HAPPY READING ;  Stay healthy and cool !!!

Regular Contributor

My wife and I have read 2 books by Louise Penny and have much enjoyed the exploits of Inspector 
Armand Gamache.
Periodic Contributor

Once two friends recommended Joyce Penny, I roared through all of her books and am on the hold list for her latest book.

Especially nowadays, I want to live in Three Pines.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Oddly, for the first time since I was 4 years old, I really don't feel like reading.  It's not just that I'm too tired to read when I get home from work.  I think it has something to do with coronavirus, but I don't know what.  It's not that I'm worried about getting sick, or angry at people who don't wear masks, or depressed about the economy, or have any strong feelings about anything associated with coronavirus, other than scientific curiosity.  Maybe reading about the virus itself is fulfilling my daily need to read.

It's definitely not normal for me to not want to read, but not in a worrisome way.  It's sort of like when I lost my craving for chocolate when I started drinking green tea.  It just happened.  Maybe it will come back, maybe it won't.  Very weird.

Periodic Contributor

I belong to a bookoholics FB page and it sounds like it’s been common among a lot of readers during Covid 19...

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Just finished "Caste."  Totally blown away.  A close up look, too close, comparison of Nazi Germany and the American South.

Not to be read by the faint of heart.

An Oprah pick.  Need I say more?

Without a doubt “American Dirt” by Jeanine Cummins and “A Woman of No Importance” by Sonia Purcell. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have two favorite books:

“Dear Edward” by Ann Napolitano 

“We Were the Lucky Ones” by Georgia Hunter

0 Kudos
Contributor

My favorite books are the two that I wrote. The first one is, Losing the Boomer Blues and the second is the prequel, Boomer Chicks. I love writing fiction with my generation in mind. Losing the Boomer Blues takes you back to the Summer of Love. It is the story of three best friends who relive their youth by discovering a pair of vintage hippie sunglasses. Mary puts them on and finds that they help her lose her blues. Boomer Chicks is the prequel to Losing the Boomer Blues. It will be released at the end of September, 2020. I am currently working on the third story in the trilogy, Boomer Chicks Mask Up. It follows the chicks up to present day. The blues return but nothing can defeat their determination to stamp out racism and the virus!

Mary Lanza

"The Warmth of Other Suns" should be read by everyone, and required in high school. The personal stories, the statistics, the sociological analysis, and the timeliness of this book bring together the overwhelming history of African Americans and main-stream American politics. I am white, middle-class, and in my seventies, but very books have enlightened me as much as this one.

"**bleep** OUT OF CAROLINA " by Dorothy Allison

WOW. I literally could not put it down ( especially the last 15- 30 pages!)

Powerful Southern, secrets and lies, seduction ( But this is not a Romantic love story!)

It's like a gritty, female driven SUNDANCE  film in novel form - like  MONSTER, BOYS DON'T CRY, FROZEN RIVER, MONSTER'S BALL - really good drama.

I was  BLOWN AWAY  by the ending!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I read it, twice and saw the movie.

Also have Boys Don't Cry.

Both totally awesome.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Two books by Hilary Mantel:

• A Place of Greater Safety
  • Bring Up the Bodies

Alan Furst

• Mission to Paris 

C.J. Sansom

• Dissolution

Zola
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

"Thirteen Reasons Why" Jay Asher

While this is written semi-current gen, I so recognize my own experiences, I wish it had been written 50 years ago. That might have prevented so many others from choices then that could have prevented any others from sad choices...

I guess it woke me to generations of sad decisions I hope future gens don't have to worry about...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Periodic Contributor

The Longevity Paradox - Dr. Gundry

I’ve recently completed reading the book and just loved the content and presentation. I believe Dr. Gundry has found the best answer to healthy aging. REVERSE AGING TODAY!

41LeAxuclRL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg

Listen to sample of the book FREE --> Click Here

0 Kudos