Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 11 of 16

I try to hit the gym regularly.   I feel better after I exercise.   I will throw my gym bag in the trunk, so there is no excuse for me not to work out.

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16

Periodically I do personal training to stay strong and flexible and to be aware of changes and adjustments in my body as I age.  I work out on a regular basis.  The resulting endorphins,serotonin and energy are better than any medication a doctor can prescribe or you can buy.  Is it work?  Yes.  Is it worth it?  YES!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16
Wow. I envy you. Just associating with students of all ages is an education in itself.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16

You could say that I’ve dedicated myself to continuous learning. At 55, I earned a Master’s Degree to pursue a new career in education. Twenty years later, I still make a conscious effort to expand my scope by learning new things. I will seize every opportunity to tutor pro bono from grade school kiddos to high school seniors struggling with writing college entrance essays, even ESL adults. What I learn is that continuing education is not all about me because, every time, I find the learning becomes a shared experience. In 1597, Sir Francis Bacon said, “Knowledge itself is power.” With education, one can have complete control over one’s life when using acquired knowledge. 

Five years ago, I started a self-publishing book business where I work with new authors to get their books edited, published, and up on Amazon. The benefits that I have enjoyed from my efforts never disappoint. They often spark new ideas and provide even newer opportunities that I can sometimes apply to new situations. In some cases, continuous learning has changed my perspective on things, opened my mind, and allowed me to learn new skills.

Continuous learning can be accomplished so simply by just observing, asking questions, getting feedback, playing games, staying updated, listening, reading, working with and helping others. If you are interested in taking a class, many state universities offer free education to persons over 60. In most cases, you can audit any class, which I did when I became interested in watercolors. Some even offer classes for credit. I know of a “senior” who earned a degree at no cost from a state university in Northern Michigan and all she had to do was go and do the work. I applaud schools that embrace senior communities and recognize that there is no age limit or timeline on learning. I encourage YOU to make learning something new every day a priority and own YOUR power. Only you can push yourself to want it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16

Try to stay on top of things.  Read.  A LOT.  Walk.  MUCH.  No longer drive.

Diet could use MUCH improvement.  Socialize as much as people will put up with me.  Try to keep a sense of humor.  Avoid sensitive subjects.  Discuss movies, books.  TRY, TRY, TRY, to give a compliment or two.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What healthy habit have you started doing as you age?

Message 16 of 16

Most of know those obvious ones, eat healthy, keep moving - but what other habits have you started?

Share your habits with us!

Great article on this at The Girlfriend page - https://www.thegirlfriend.com/health/what-women-who-stay-healthy-as-they-age-do-everyday

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit