Community Manager
Community Manager

What healthy habit have you started doing as you age?

Most of know those obvious ones, eat healthy, keep moving - but what other habits have you started?

Share your habits with us!

Great article on this at The Girlfriend page - https://www.thegirlfriend.com/health/what-women-who-stay-healthy-as-they-age-do-everyday

AARPTeri

About six months after I retired at age 62, I rescued a 7 month old Doberman who was found running stray on a canal near my home.  He was completely untrained and full of energy.  I started walking him daily as a way to wear him out and make him easier to live with.   Five years (and a lot of training) later he is the best dog I've ever had and we still walk every single day, rain or shine, between 6 and 10 miles daily.   We talk with  people on our walks every day so the walks are also social time for us. I've met and made friends with people I never would have met had it not been for my dog!  I consider him my "Health Coach"  and rescuing him was the best thing I could have done for my health as I age.   It will break my heart when I lose him but I'll rescue another "wild boy" and start training him to be my next Health Coach immediately.  Dogs are the best!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'm not doing better I'm poorer now that I'm retired. I'm eating worse food because you can't afford good food. Fresh anything is to expensive. I try to grow food inside and some outside but it's not enough. So what do u do in America after you retire.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Interesting
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have substantially deleted sugar, saturated fat and dairy from my diet. I'm physically active 3x a week almost every week and I eat an anti-inflammatory diet. I also meditate at least once a day.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Habits don’t have to be life changing.  For instance, to maintain all those little muscles that contribute to balance, I brush my teeth standing on one leg (alternating morning and night).  But do it alone.  My husband can’t resist pushing me over 😵

0 Kudos
Contributor

I added a 33 second message to my answering machine that explains why I no longer answer my phone, ( I was getting up to 20 phishing calls a day) and it frustrated the callers so much the callers quit calling. I did have one that called recently 8 times in a half hour, but hasn't called back. I use free white pages reverse phone directory to identify spammers and report them. I posted the message 3 years ago and the call volumn has deminished to near zero. I have had friends leave a message about the length of my recording, so I simply make sure they have my cell number. BTW, the recorder still takes message if they caller really wantrs to leave one. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

The point is, message or not, have caller ID on your phone, and never, I mean never, answer the phone unless you recognize the caller. I live in a small place and annoyance callers have the technology to look like a local caller, so it’s easy to get duped into thinking it may be a neighbor or someone who lives close by. Don’t fall for this trick! Also, be aware that scammers are now trolling for cell phone numbers as well. Same deal. Don’t answer unless you know who it is. If they keep calling and don’t leave a message, simply turn the phone off for a while. Set your microwave timer for 30 minutes to turn your phone back on. By then the caller should have given up.
0 Kudos
Contributor

t
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I try to hit the gym regularly.   I feel better after I exercise.   I will throw my gym bag in the trunk, so there is no excuse for me not to work out.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Periodically I do personal training to stay strong and flexible and to be aware of changes and adjustments in my body as I age.  I work out on a regular basis.  The resulting endorphins,serotonin and energy are better than any medication a doctor can prescribe or you can buy.  Is it work?  Yes.  Is it worth it?  YES!!

Trusted Contributor

You could say that I’ve dedicated myself to continuous learning. At 55, I earned a Master’s Degree to pursue a new career in education. Twenty years later, I still make a conscious effort to expand my scope by learning new things. I will seize every opportunity to tutor pro bono from grade school kiddos to high school seniors struggling with writing college entrance essays, even ESL adults. What I learn is that continuing education is not all about me because, every time, I find the learning becomes a shared experience. In 1597, Sir Francis Bacon said, “Knowledge itself is power.” With education, one can have complete control over one’s life when using acquired knowledge. 

Five years ago, I started a self-publishing book business where I work with new authors to get their books edited, published, and up on Amazon. The benefits that I have enjoyed from my efforts never disappoint. They often spark new ideas and provide even newer opportunities that I can sometimes apply to new situations. In some cases, continuous learning has changed my perspective on things, opened my mind, and allowed me to learn new skills.

Continuous learning can be accomplished so simply by just observing, asking questions, getting feedback, playing games, staying updated, listening, reading, working with and helping others. If you are interested in taking a class, many state universities offer free education to persons over 60. In most cases, you can audit any class, which I did when I became interested in watercolors. Some even offer classes for credit. I know of a “senior” who earned a degree at no cost from a state university in Northern Michigan and all she had to do was go and do the work. I applaud schools that embrace senior communities and recognize that there is no age limit or timeline on learning. I encourage YOU to make learning something new every day a priority and own YOUR power. Only you can push yourself to want it.

Super Contributor

Wow. I envy you. Just associating with students of all ages is an education in itself.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Try to stay on top of things.  Read.  A LOT.  Walk.  MUCH.  No longer drive.

Diet could use MUCH improvement.  Socialize as much as people will put up with me.  Try to keep a sense of humor.  Avoid sensitive subjects.  Discuss movies, books.  TRY, TRY, TRY, to give a compliment or two.

Contributor

Yea‼️ 👏🏻👏🏻 I agree‼️ Always try to make someone smile...it’s so easy...give them a compliment..ask a simple question, give them a quick hug, ask if you can help, offer to help!! Just be kind‼️ Be kind to others‼️
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

In the spring of 2019, I set a goal of increasing how many fruits and vegetables I eat.  I started lifting weights in 2018.  My fitness philosophy has become:  "If it's hard to do, do it more."  I'm especially concerned about being able to get into and out of a chair or the car and being able to get down on the floor and get up again.  I don't want to make a bunch of grunting noises while doing either of those actions.  So, at the end of every television show or chapter in a book, I get up and walk around.  I try not to sit for more than 40 minutes at a time.  Movement is life!

0 Kudos