Community Manager
Community Manager

What have you been cooking during quarantine?

Share great recipes here that you have tried at home!  And grab our 3 great fall recipes here:  https://www.thegirlfriend.com/3-must-make-sheet-pan-meals-for-fall 

AARPTeri
Trusted Contributor

Banana nut muffins!  Yum!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Well, I try to prepare something that I can eat more than once (left-overs) and something that tastes really good ("down home, home-cooking"). With that in mind, yesterday I prepared spaghetti with a super thick veggie laden meat sauce  Had sautéed greens with ham bits on the side.  I have enough left over meat sauce for several meals. So I might have to freeze it for next week.

Earlier in the week, I made beef tips in thick gravy over jasmine rice with candied carrots on the side.  The next day I had the same meal except I switched out the carrots with butter steamed spinach instead.  Both meals were delicious.   

On days when I don't feel like cooking, I sometimes supplement with Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine frozen meals.  I like them for their wide variety, low calories, and the many high protein meal options.

Trusted Contributor

The link you provided for fall recipes says: It seems this page is currently unavailable. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

At first I was trying a lot of elaborate meals, but trying to keep us healthy and fit I have been experimenting with lots of salads. I have lots of different variations, making turkey bacon or using leftover roasted chicken or skipjack tuna (the lowest in mercury) for protein. I also add diced red potatoes or sweet potatoes, and sometimes leftover brown or wild rice. Almost always I add marinated artichoke hearts, kalamata or green castelvetrano olives, and capers to add that acidic bite. Recently I have been cutting up a bit of fruit such as pomegranate seeds or persimmons, plus pistachio nuts or slivered almonds. Another tasty addition would be feta cheese, but I am allergic to dairy products, so I don't. I teach piano online throughout the day, but can prepare these ingredients before or between lessons so that after my last one I can just throw the ingredients over an organic spring lettuce mix with chopped carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes. Of course the most important thing is the dressing. I make a quick easy French vinaigrette with Maille mustard, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and sometimes herbs and garlic. For extra gut health and coziness, I serve miso soup on the side. (BTW If anyone wants my French vinaigrette recipe just email me at upperhandspiano@gmail.com!) Looking forward to reading about what others are cooking! 

0 Kudos