Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 6

I don't know if you would call this fearless.  Watching traffic from a metro bus as its driver skillfully and calmly maneuvers it through traffic situations I can't imagine.  I once told the driver, your job would give me nightmares.

He laughed.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

I think that is wonderful, you must miss them as you were close to them both.  I'm sad that one passed away, what are you doing now to make new friends during COVID?
I'm in the process of getting a complete makeover inside and out.  I'm reaching out to make new friends because COVID is reminding me of how truly isolated I've become...
Sheria 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

I left my husband when I was 38, moved to Atlanta and had a wonderful job at the merchandise mart, managing a showroom. (My kids moved with me.) Unfortunately the company closed, I lost the job and my next few jobs did not pay well. After two years of struggling to pay my bills, my husband divorced me  and my children went to live with their father. (Too long a story to tell here.) I knew there was no future for me over there, so I sold what I could and moved to California and began again; I was 40. It was plenty scary at times, and if it weren't for friends I would have starved, or had nowhere to sleep. But though the first two years here were hard and I had to work more than one job, I learned how to take care of myself. I also learned how to save money so that the kids could visit me for the summer, because of course their father would not pay for that.

Year three I found a good job with a law firm and was finally making enough money to get my own apartment and so in year four my kids came back to live with me.

What I'm trying to say is that when it's time to make a change, figure it out and make the change. You can do it, have faith in yourself! 

Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

I am straight and worked with two gay men.  I loved them both.  I could have never imagined better friends.  No one need be afraid to be who they are. Sure it may be a disappointment to the parents, but I'll bet that the gay child is the most attentive to them in the long run.  I'm 81+ yrs. old and those two men were my best friends back in the 1980's. My family accepted them, and I know that one of them had a good relationship with his family  He is now deceased, and the other moved across the country. I miss them, and I'm happy for you, Chef Kimba.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

I came out at 33 years old. I was raised in a time when you were scared to death to come out of the closet to anyone for fear of attack of any kind or shunned by friends and family. The decision I made was both terrifying and a relief. Now at 55 I am who I want to be and not that scared person. I am proud of the woman I am today and so are my children who love me regardless of who I love. Doing things we are scared of can really impact your relationship with your spouse, family, friends. You would be surprised how much support you really have for anything you want to do in your life.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What fearless thing can you share?

Message 6 of 6

We all learn about fearless things as we progress through life.  We should all be sharing this knowledge together.  Tell us one thing you can share!

Here is one of the items in the 40 Things Every Fearless woman knows after 40The clothes and styles that flatter your body type, and how to skip those items that don't — no matter how cute they look on the hanger

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit