Bronze Conversationalist

What are your best home organizational tips?

After marrying last year, sold my home October 2020 and husband's home on the market very soon. We are buying a home together.  Would love some good tips to get and keep new home organized and welcoming.  We both have decluttered a great deal.  Loving the simple streamlined lifestyle. Thanks for your input!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Silver Conversationalist

Hi @ChristineH635132 why not just have fun and implement both of your likes. Figure out what is important for each and research online for random ideas. For example, he may want a man cave. You may want a sewing room. Then there are the common areas like the kitchen. I am sure combining and downsizing has its challenges. Have you found a house as yet?

View solution in original post

Bronze Conversationalist

Update on organizing:  Found a  practical, creative and upbeat site  ( couldn't we all use a little of that?)  It's called do it on a dime with Kathryn.  These are six to eight minutes long segments on YouTube. One of her main themes, is picking up items at the Dollar Tree and DIYing organizational, storage and decorative things for your home.  I've already implemented some of the ideas, and it's a game changer.  

Are there sites you can recommend for improving the efficiency or appearance of your home?

Silver Conversationalist

Hi @ChristineH635132 why not just have fun and implement both of your likes. Figure out what is important for each and research online for random ideas. For example, he may want a man cave. You may want a sewing room. Then there are the common areas like the kitchen. I am sure combining and downsizing has its challenges. Have you found a house as yet?

View solution in original post

Bronze Conversationalist

Angela, Great ideas! We finally found a new home in this crazy real estate market! We are definitely going to have a craft/hobby/game room. Excited to move in.  Christine

Silver Conversationalist

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Angela,  My husband Jim and I like to write custom poems for family and friends.  Then Jim writes it out in beautiful calligraphy.  I do a simple botanical in ink and watercolors to decorate it.  I also make hats using a round loom and yarn and bookmarks with embroidery floss.  Jim does beautiful paintings.  We like to play Rummi Kubes, Quiddler ( card game ), Boggle and are learning a new card game called 5 Crowns.  We both love Sudoku too. I'm thinking it will also be a great space to create greeting cards and little gifts.   How about you?  What hobbies do you have?  Christine

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Hi @ChristineH635132 you guys are busy!!!! Me, nothing as exciting as you guys/lol. Gardening, reading, color by numbers and logic puzzles. Thanks for asking 😀

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Angela,  Those are all great hobbies, don't sell yourself short!  I love to read too.  Usually try to read a bit before bedtime.  Color by numbers would be a nice relaxing thing to do.  Especially with all the great colored pencil sets out there.  My husband and I like trivia books ( including logic puzzles ).  Will try my hand at herb gardening in a few weeks when the renovations to the house slow down.  Take care,  Christine

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Virtual Community Center 

Offering a wide variety of FREE interactive, online events and classes designed for learning, self-improvement, and fun. Learn More

Members Can Get Financial Help

Get help with student loan repayment & forgiveness. Join AARP today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health