Silver Conversationalist

Want To Make Friends?

How about a forum that could be a great gathering place to make friendships blossom.  Friendships with smart, funny, creative caring women. I'll start.  I'm Christine.  Lean in, the water's fine. I won't bite, that is unless you have chocolate, then all bets are off. 😊

How about a question to get the ball rolling. I would like to :__________________.  Your answer doesn't have to be deep, or flowery, or profound, or funny,. . . just honest.  

My answer is: I would like to have a safe respectful space where women can express what's on their minds.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

hi Christine and Deah,

I'm Nina and...

I would like to : either not need any sleep or have maybe 28 hour days. Four extra hours would be great, more even better. 

And Deah, ditto on the bagels, but last fall a friend and I made Bialys. I'd never even made bread, and it's a weird dough because it ends up being very mushy and hard to work with. but they were wonderful. Now I have to get up the guts to make them myself. 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Nina, Anything bread related, I'm in. These Bialys sound very interesting.  I think I should change my answer to, I would like to eat Bialys ( and not have it sit on my hips).  I figure if you get four extra hours, I get mouth-watering no calorie Bialys.😋 Nina, so glad you stopped by.  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Oh @ninaTx I am so with you on more sleep and longer days, especially if some of that is longer nights. I think I've never outgrown enjoying the college all nighter of focused work on a term paper (now called writing a memoir), ordering pizza at 2 am, having a pajama chat, and getting to bed just before dawn! LOL

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I'm still trying to figure out how this forum works, so I just saw this... I want to get away with LESS sleep, not more. That's why I need more hours. There's so much I want to do and not enough time. And yet here I am sitting around responding here. One more hobby to fit into my days.  

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@DeahWA , Definite like eating pizza in pajamas.  That sounds like an awesome kids book title: Eating Pizza In Pajamas.  Catchy. Don't steal it. I've definitely never been the night owl.  The yawns begin at 9 PM.  Luckily my hubby is and early to bed, early to rise kind of guy too. Hope you have a nice weekend my dear forum friend.  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Great idea, Christine. Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

I would like to ........... goodness, so many things. Find the perfect bagel on the West Coast is the first thing that pops into mind, probably because I haven't had breakfast yet and bagels west of the Mississippi aren't worthy of the name.

More seriously, I would like to  ............. turn off the furnace for the season before June! Forecast temperature high today is 53, and thick socks and turtlenecks under a sweater is a ridiculous look for May.

Okay, brain cells warming up now, so I would like to  ............ discuss things of significance, topics that expand understanding of and compassion / empathy for ourselves and our world, in an atmosphere of respect for our diversity in life experience, and outlook.

Who will be next to join in?   

Silver Conversationalist

Dang girl @DeahWA , you hit it on all cylinders , funny, flowery, deep, profound and honest. Going to be 96 degrees here, shed the thick socks, turtleneck and sweater.  I'm steppin' out in sandals, capris, sleeveless top ( I have finally said, screw it, I don't care if my arms are flabby bat wings, it's hot! 😄  embrace the body you have now)  

Don't know if you are a crafter at all, but AARP emailed the latest The Girlfriend newsletter. They have some awesome crafts on Design Improvised.  There is also an article about wine cork crafts, get out the vino baby!  🍷

Got errands to run, before it hits that 96 degrees, talk soon.  - Christine 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Ugh! 96 degrees!! What kind of hellscape do you live in @Rhymesometimes ? LOL In that heat I'd still be in a sweater and socks because the A/C would be blasting the more pleasant arctic air. LOL

I have a friend in Arizona who drives with oven mitts on because the heat is so brutal. I'm picturing you in your sandals and sleevelessness today doing the same. 🤣🤣😎

I used to be into bead making and sculpting with Fimo clay as my crafty outlet. And crocheting. Haven't done either of those for a few years. Thanks for the tip on the newsletter.  Any excuse to drink more wine is useful. 😉

Silver Conversationalist

hhhuuummm, oven mitts, why didn't I think of that?  96, that's nothin', it's hit 122 before. I've heard they don' fly planes when it's over 120.  Not sure if that is true. It's 5:00 somewhere.  🍹 Christine 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Well it's just about 5 pm here, Pacific time, and I'm probably done writing for today. Don't worry @Rhymesometimes  the Pizza in Pajamas story is all yours. I already have at least 4 more stories to work on after the one I'm currently doing.

I can just see the cover of your Pajamas story now. It could be a series. 

@ninaTx , I missed the part of your post about making bialys. Wow, that sounds fun. I've never even tried breadmaking of any type before. I just don't have a kitchen with enough counter space for all the mess! 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

@DeahWA wrote:

@ninaTx , I missed the part of your post about making bialys. Wow, that sounds fun. I've never even tried breadmaking of any type before. I just don't have a kitchen with enough counter space for all the mess! 

Well that was my only time making ANY bread-like substance and I only attempted it because a friend who bakes bread regularly was visiting for a week. And it's a bit of an ordeal. But also she had never heard of bialys so it was a new experience for her. 

Until tonight. I made pizza. It turned out to be Matzo-Pizza. It gave "crispy crust" a new meaning. It was edible, but far from worth the effort. I spent the whole day gardening and then the pizza mess. I'm exhausted. Never again on the pizza.  We occasionally make pizza on the Boboli pizza shells, those are much easier. 

And your 

fictionalized set of interviews with 5 real life women from deep in my genealogy. It's kind of an experimental piece, to see if I can spin interesting historical fiction.

Sounds amazing. I'm way too literal and without much creativity. My husband is the creative one in the house.  I hope it comes out well. 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@DeahWA  Had a bread machine, but the loaves were more square than rectangular, and after using for a while, I got tired of the noise.  Sometimes, it would start shimmying and shaking, like it was possessed.  At that point, I decided to stick with muffins, regular and minis. Our favs, banana nut and blueberry.  Look forward to hearing more about your stories.  Christine

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

@Rhymesometimes wrote:

@DeahWA  Had a bread machine, but the loaves were more square than rectangular, and after using for a while, I got tired of the noise.  Sometimes, it would start shimmying and shaking, like it was possessed.  

I've toyed with getting a bread machine but it would be like a drug addict having a crack dispenser.  I adore bread. I will keep thinking about the noise and the shaking if I feel myself weaken. 

N.

Silver Conversationalist

@ninaTx I wish I could get you extra kudos for laugh out loud funny responses. So awesome Nina. I adore bread too.  Maybe that's my "decadent" one thing for Mother's Day.  If all goes well tomorrow, I hope to be elbow deep in a bowl of popcorn ( stove top with coconut oil ) and then will probably slide into a carb coma.  Take care Nina, so fun having you on board. Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

LOL @Rhymesometimes that appliance sounds like it has a story to tell. 😂 

This weekend I'm trying to finish up the first draft of a fictionalized set of interviews with 5 real life women from deep in my genealogy. It's kind of an experimental piece, to see if I can spin interesting historical fiction. Each woman I've chosen have something in their own lifetimes that parallel or connect with something in my lifetime, and I wanted to play with the idea that some circumstances, attitudes, choices, or other traits might carry down through the generations. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

@DeahWA wrote:

This weekend I'm trying to finish up the first draft of a fictionalized set of interviews with 5 real life women from deep in my genealogy. It's kind of an experimental piece, to see if I can spin interesting historical fiction. Each woman I've chosen have something in their own lifetimes that parallel or connect with something in my lifetime, and I wanted to play with the idea that some circumstances, attitudes, choices, or other traits might carry down through the generations. 

Deah, this sounds amazing. I am just in awe of the creativity in the concept. I adore it. I am a very linear thinker and always stand in awe of people who display this sort of creativity. I love the interplay of reality fiction and putting yourself into it. Wow. I hate to sound like I'm sucking up, but wow. 

Do you do genealogical research or are these ancestors you know about through family. I periodically go on an Ancestry.com binge and then stop for months. But I don't know the people as people - just the facts that I find. But it's still addicting. If I ever retire it's on my list of things to spend more time on. 

But that's where I came in - just 4-6 more hours a day and .. and what? I'd procrastinate more? 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@ninaTx I'm really more of a linear thinker myself, as a usual approach to life, but I've always wanted to write fiction and never felt any good at it. So this is an experiment. I took a course just before the pandemic in writing memoirs, and then someone suggested I try fictionalized memoir to fill in some gaps in both memory and events, and things started flowing from there.

And yes, I've been working on Ancestry.com for a few years trying to get my direct ancestor lines back as far as possible with just grandparents, and not putting much attention into each generations' aunts, uncles, and cousins.

The farther back you go, the more familiar sounding names from history you run into, or find in easily accessible confirming sources like Wikipedia -- not that Wikipedia is always 100% accurate, but it often gives its sources too, so you can go from there. Women are harder to get a lot of detail on, being mostly left out of many historical records, so fictionalizing their details while still rooted in known history of the eras they lived in makes the project more fun.

Nina, I think when you have more time to spend, creative and interesting projects will find you. 😉

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@DeahWA Sounds very intriguing, will it be something I can purchase? Taking tomorrow off the site, but will be back Monday. Happy, productive writing. Christine 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Rhymesometimes Maybe you could be a beta reader for me, if I am ever get out of the first draft stage. LOL

Have a wonderful day tomorrow. It’s good to take a day off from technology. 😉

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@DeahWA I would be honored!  I've done a great deal of proofreading for many friends and family members.  Also had an opportunity, a few years ago, to be a beta reader for a neighbor completing her first book. She has published two, possibly three books by now. Best of luck, here to help.  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

What fun! @Rhymesometimes !!

This book may be boring for an experienced proofreader like you, tho. LOL! 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@DeahWA  I'm far from experienced, and I'm sure your book is far from boring.  Christine

0 Kudos