Community Manager
Community Manager

So, your last kid left home. How did it go?

Was it as emotional as you thought it would be?  Share your experience for others to hear!

Great article worth reading - share your comments here too!

https://www.thegirlfriend.com/parenting/dont-judge-me-for-being-so-sad-in-my-empty-nest

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Contributor

It didn't go as expected. Youngest left for military and we found ourselves out doing more than we ever had.  Our older kids were always trying to figure out why were not home. Or they would see a post on Facebook and say "oh that's where you guys are. I stopped by today".  I think my oldest son really was checking on me to make sure I was ok as I was a mess when he left for the military.  While I do miss the days of little ones running around, I enjoy my new found freedom to enjoy life in a new way.

Regular Social Butterfly

My oldest was a boy I was very close to. He knew dancing with me at his Wedding I was emotional, but he said, "Don't worry Mom, I'm not going anywhere." I raised him myself for 4 yrs while my husband was in the Marines until he was 5.

My 2nd child a daughter I cried a little, I think more because she had a daughter and married another man. I really think I missed my GDD but it didn't last too long. 

My 3rd child a DD at age 20 was killed so I haven't gotten used to that yet. She left a 19 mo old baby, so at least we have a part of her. 

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Super Contributor

For me, it was much harder for the first child to leave home than the last one. I had three children and spent a great deal of time with each one of them AFTER they all were on their own. If I had my way, none of them would've ever left home. Lol

0 Kudos
Contributor

I grew them up to leave and live their own life. We are very close and they are happy productive adults!

0 Kudos