Community Manager
Community Manager

How has your social life changed in this age of coronavirus?

What are you doing to keep in touch with friends and family?  

We write about it here:  https://www.thegirlfriend.com/relationships/how-to-take-your-social-life-online 

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The hardest part for me has been the alone time.  I live alone, was working from home, then got laid off due to a COVID caused downsizing.  That was really tough!  Trying to find ways to keep busy, without going anywhere.  In the beginning I spent hours a day making masks!  (was so thankful my sister taught me how to sew as a child!).  Hundreds and hundreds of masks, and caps!  Puzzles were great and then I really got  the paint by number kits!  But as you can see, all of these activities were still alone. I live in Chicagoland, so the cold long winter was really tough.  Once it got a bit warmer I starting meeting friends for walks.  

Social Butterfly

June 9, 2021

Hi @JaneD902450 yes, I have had enough of MMI (me,myself,I) time. Now I am not an extrovert, luv my peace and quiet. The local Senior Center is now open. I retired last year July 2020 and never been there. Lol, still debating if I want to go 🤣😂 Thanks for stopping by to share with us! Lots of hugs, Angela

Angela
0 Kudos
Contributor

Before the shut down I would get together once a week with friends, go to church to sing in the choir, and get together twice a month with different book clubs. All of that went online but zoom is not the same experience at all and just made me sad to think of what I was missing.  I had planned a year of hiking as well but as soon as everyone was working from home it seems they discovered they had time to hike. The trails were horribly crowded, the trash receptacles were overflowing and if a bathroom was open it was disgusting. I decided after a few attempts to give up on the idea of enjoying the great outdoors.  Grocery shopping has gone online and all I do is show up to pick up. Choir rehearsals are the only zoom get together I kept.  I did find several fun online events thru aarp and that has been uplifting. I just wish I had found them sooner! 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I have been "socializing" with friends online since the early 1990s when I had an account on CompuServe. I met my husband on CompuServe.  

While I greatly missed my local friends and going out to lunch with my girlfriends, that only lasted a short while here. I live in a rural area where we were able to get out and about many months ago. 

So for me, it's been back to virtually (no pun intended) normal for months.  I fear for those who don't appear to even want to escape their bubbles. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I used to absolutely love going to the movies--sitting in the dark, eating popcorn, and laughing or crying or being scared along with a bunch of strangers who, too, had a love of theater.  I miss that big part of my social life.  I also miss eating out on a semi-regular basis and that means both via fast food establishments and/or sit-down restaurants.  I don't go into sit down restaurants to eat AT ALL now.  And I have only purchased a meal on two occasions from two different restaurants since COVID-19 and the state's lockdowns began way back in March.  

Although I am what they called early on an "essential  worker" and have more than enough socialization through my job, I don't visit with my personal friends as often as I used to.  We all seem to be a part of the "huddled masses" huddling alone.  But we keep in touch on an almost daily basis by phone.  Thank God for Alexander Graham Bell!!!

I have maintained my museum and zoo memberships even though they have been closed for months.  I had hoped that the virus would have been contained better by now. So even though these favorite spaces which I used to frequent have now slowly begun reopening, I still do not feel safe to go there--I have not gone and probably will not for the remainder of the year.

Those are just a few ways my social life has changed.  But one really good thing that has come out of the pandemic for me.  I absolutely love cooking my own food and have made myself to be quite a good cook--the kind that can even make "stone" soup taste good!  lol

Super Contributor

This is a plug, if you want it that way. I frequent "Starbucks" and "Subway."

Both "tastefully" done, pun intended.

Mainstays.
0 Kudos