Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you keep in touch with friends?

Message 1 of 18

Technology has made it easier to keep in touch, i.e.

social networking, email, texting, video chat, etc., get togethers for lunch, birthdays and "just because".

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 18

Life gets busy is an excuse.  It's about priorities. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18

Being a caregiver is very hard.  I don't think people realize we're all in this together until it happens to them.  We all need help from someone at one time or another during our life time.  I can't change other people but I know I can do what is right.  I realized a long time ago I can give to myself what others don't.  I do what makes me happy even if it is done alone knowing that if someone needs me I will be there for them.  Even if I don't know them.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18

It's sad but people now days don't want to be bothered.

I reach out all the time.  They say "yes we should get together" but they will never commit .

I think people have gotten lazy.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18

There are so many ways these days, especially with friends who don’t live close by. A lot of keeping in touch happens in social media: responding to Facebook or Instagram posts. Some of my friends hate texting, so we only text to say “Free to talk on the phone?” We all live busy lives, and sometimes it’s a great way to connect by doing something together: a meditation class, a movie, a wine date. Lunches together, when time and schedules allow, are always a pleasure, even if we can get together infrequently, even twice a year. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18

I love having dinner with girlfriends when possible, leaving spouses and kids at home. It's so nice to order a glass of wine and connect one on one (or with however many of us there are.)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 18

My favorite way to stay connected with my friends is by meeting up for coffee or wine. I’ve had more deep, enriching conversations than I could possibly count sittimg face to face over coffee/drinks. As for my friends who are far away, we simply text, email and when it works, set up a phone call or

Facetime. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18

I am 71 and retired for 4 years.  I keep in touch with former work friends with periodic lunches. I have 4 high school girl friends that I get together for lunch every month or so.  We have supported each other through all of life’s ups and downs for almost 60 years. The love and respect we share sustains each of us.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18

My name is Deanna.  The only friend that I had moved away to take care of  her daughter.  I could talk to her very openly.  I try to keep in tough byphone, but her health has gone way down hill and is not able to get her cell phone if the phone is not next to her. She moved away to take care of her daughter, and 2 monthd after my friend bought a house, her married daughter decided to move in with her new boyfriend.  Her phone message part is ful and she does not know how to delete them.So I feel all alone.  My Mother died two years ago, and then my younger brother passed away this past July.I had no one talk to about these deaths.  It has been a hard.The last time I was able to talk tomy friend was at Christmas.  I called to see if she receivef the gift that I sent her.  She had and was very thankful. I donot know if she is dead or still alive.  It is frustrating as I try to call her everyday.  I have sisters, but I am so much younger than they are, that we do not talk.I am disabled and have recently had more surgery.  I can't go out because of my health, and because I can't drive.Enough about me.  I can relate to the article as I have had hot flashes and all "the change signs and symptoms for the past 20 years.  When I was a therapist, I would break out in water really bad.  I have most of my worst hot flashes at night.  I guess it is because I do not have any man toelp me with my raging hormones.  They are really  out of whack.  Because I do not talk to anyone most days with anyone, I talk alot with my thre cats.  I took one cat in when my brother passed away as I could not have it go to a shelter and stilllive with myself. Ireally miss my brother as we use to talk almost daily.

I  think that the articles were great.  It helps me feel like I am not the only ne going these symptoms.

Sincerely,

Deanna

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18

I stay in touch with my friends by telephone, text, & email. I’d write. I love to write. But now I don’t know how my hands will respond ! Thank goodness for the technology I know. Truthfully though, I’m still looking for the Stargate. I had it around here somewhere 🤦🏾‍♀️!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark