Conversationalist

How do you get out of a bad mood?

The best thing for me ,to get out of a bad mood, is to make sure I have time to exercise in some form.  Another thing is doing a random act of kindness.  Making someone else feel good, always seems to lift my spirits. Would love to hear from others.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Contributor

Try yoga with Adriene on YouTube.  Check out a gentle yoga, yoga for seniors, or a beginners’ yoga (all at no cost).  Yoga with Kassandra (also free on YouTube) is another good instructor (again gentle, beginners or seniors).

View solution in original post

Dear Friends,

My father became an invalid due to Multiple Scleroses.  I learned at a young age to keep moving.  So I ride my bike 3 days a week and walk the other 4 days.  But for the past six months during Covid, to keep my self in a good mood, I get up at 4 a.m. and send a message to 25 people I started kindergarten with 73 years ago.  Sometimes it's about the smells we grew up with on the eastside of Des Moines, at others it might be a reminder to send our physical education teacher a birthday card.  He'll turn 94 on April 8th.

I get up each morning not knowing what will pop up on my computer but for sure it's going to bring a smile to my face even before I got to make a cup of tea.

Contributor

AmyS, I am sorry to read of your hardships. I learned after double bunion surgery years ago to do arm exercises & even twists. A few years ago I learned of Tai Chi which can be done seated. An instructor said each Tai Chi session begins with smiling! Some days, in isolation, I decided I needed a smile. So I used my mirror 😉. May each of your tomorrows be increasingly better!

Contributor

My brother had a knee replacement with a very bad result a few years ago.  He was always in pain and could hardly move around.  After doing some searching, he found another doctor at the University of Pennsylvania that specialize in fixing botched knee replacements done by incompetent, or careless, doctors.  After getting it completely redone, it's nearly perfect.

Contributor

For me, watching comedy tv shows/movies, or stand up comedy, is really helpful to get out of the dumps. If you can invite a neighbor, that helps too.   

Stretch and swing your arms, or any body part that still moves, to some of your old favorite music..while finding new music to explore as well. 

Best to all that are searching for ideas!

Conversationalist

Amy, You have been through so much!  First, give yourself some grace and kindness.  When we feel low, we often have a lot of negative self talk that we might not even be aware of; I have fallen into that. Next, realize that you are more resilient than you give yourself credit for.  Think of things that you have overcome successfully.  Then look into resources.  

I found a great site.  Just typed "How to exercise with limited mobility-help guide.org"   It has an article on how to start exercising and stick with it.  ( we could all use that! ; )   There is also senior exercise and fitness tips.

Remember to talk to your doctor before you begin any exercise program.

You are reaching out for advice, and that is a smart and courageous thing to do Amy. You can do this!   Take care, Christine

Sorry, Amy.  Surgery scares me period.  I don't like people messing with me.  I have COPD and am stuck on an 18" oxygen cord that drives me nuts.  I seem to always have it hung up on something or I'm trying to get it unwrapped from around my legs.   What I'm saying is we all have our crosses to bear.  Keep your chin up and continue with your Yoga.  This computer is helpful too.  I spend a great deal of time here.  6 years makes a great deal of difference in surgery so this one will probably go better.  I will pray for your health.

Conversationalist

Awesome info.  Thank you so much for all the resources!  Christine

Thanks for the resources!  Really need to be doing this and stretching.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@ChristineH635132 AARP's Virtual Community Center is now offering free live yoga classes every Tuesday, and they are for all fitness levels. Definitely worth checking out!

Conversationalist

Rachel, The more I explore AARP's website, the more I am learning.  So many great quality  resources!  FREE quality resources, even better! Thank you for the Virtual Community Center link.  Going to try out the yoga classes offered on Tuesdays.  Christine

Community Manager
Community Manager

I also was intimated - and found these two videos helpful.  Start slow 🙂

https://videos.aarp.org/detail/video/5376433851001/beginner-yoga-in-your-50s-60s-with-lorrie-lynch--...

Let us know what you think!

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2019/yoga-for-fitness.html

AARPTeri
Conversationalist

Teri, Thank you for the links! I really enjoyed the yoga videos and also Kathy Smith's intro to Tai Chi.  Will be incorporating some of this with my daily fitness plan.  Christine

Super Contributor

To get out of a bad mood, I don't watch or read the news and I don't read the political forum on here. I also take deep breaths and think positive thoughts. I am also going to start random acts of kindness with two of my elderly neighbors which always puts me in a great mood.

Shari
Conversationalist

Shari, You're going to be the bright spot in your neighbor's day! You go girl!

Super Contributor

Thank you

Shari

Dear Friends,

My father became an invalid due to Multiple Scleroses.  I learned at a young age to keep moving.  So I ride my bike 3 days a week and walk the other 4 days.  But for the past six months during Covid, to keep my self in a good mood, I get up at 4 a.m. and send a message to 25 people I started kindergarten with 73 years ago.  Sometimes it's about the smells we grew up with on the eastside of Des Moines, at others it might be a reminder to send our physical education teacher a birthday card.  He'll turn 94 on April 8th.

I get up each morning not knowing what will pop up on my computer but for sure it's going to bring a smile to my face even before I got to make a cup of tea.

Conversationalist

@GaryS698069 , You are extraordinary!  I love how you have adapted to this crazy time in history in such a positive and encouraging way.  Bringing a bright upbeat moment to 25 people's lives ( plus those they share your message with) each day is fantastic! You are an inspiration to countless people.  Thank you for sharing such a powerful message to get up and encourage those you know.  Christine

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Virtual Community Center 

Offering a wide variety of FREE interactive, online events and classes designed for learning, self-improvement, and fun. Learn More

AARP Games

Throw it back and play Atari's Missile Command. Grab your arsenal to neutralize your enemy and protect your cities from a missile attack. You got this!

AARP Games Atari Missile Command

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health

Let Us Work for You

AARP is your trusted friend and fierce defender. Membership unlocks powerful benefits to help you in your life. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership