Conversationalist

How do you get out of a bad mood?

The best thing for me ,to get out of a bad mood, is to make sure I have time to exercise in some form.  Another thing is doing a random act of kindness.  Making someone else feel good, always seems to lift my spirits. Would love to hear from others.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Contributor

Try yoga with Adriene on YouTube.  Check out a gentle yoga, yoga for seniors, or a beginners’ yoga (all at no cost).  Yoga with Kassandra (also free on YouTube) is another good instructor (again gentle, beginners or seniors).

View solution in original post

Dear Friends,

My father became an invalid due to Multiple Scleroses.  I learned at a young age to keep moving.  So I ride my bike 3 days a week and walk the other 4 days.  But for the past six months during Covid, to keep my self in a good mood, I get up at 4 a.m. and send a message to 25 people I started kindergarten with 73 years ago.  Sometimes it's about the smells we grew up with on the eastside of Des Moines, at others it might be a reminder to send our physical education teacher a birthday card.  He'll turn 94 on April 8th.

I get up each morning not knowing what will pop up on my computer but for sure it's going to bring a smile to my face even before I got to make a cup of tea.

Hi everyone...the go to for me in a bad mood is always calling my young grandson. He's such a joy to be around and speak with ... kids are the best.

Contributor

I was a member of Toastmasters for many year. Occassional I be in a bad mood the day of a meeting and the last thing I wanted to do was go to the meeting. It also turned out to be the best thing I could do. I've heard others share the same expeience. Spending time with a positive thinking group can't help but lift your spirits.

Trusted Contributor

i won't let depression get a hold of me. what i do to get out of a bad mood is listen to soothing music; classic bluegrass &/or celtic does the trick. sometimes i read a book of some kind or i really get into some t.v. program imagining myself as part of it. it works.

What a plethora of great ideas!  I've used them all and can add to all these posts that the techniques work.  But I am surprised that no one else has mentioned the strategy that works best for me:  I make a "gratitude list".  Typically I set my goal as writing down ten things for which I am grateful on a numbered list.  There are those times when it's a struggle to think of five and other times when I just can't stop at twenty.  But in either situation, I always feel better afterwards than before I started.

What a plethora of great ideas!  I've used them all and can add to all these posts that the techniques work.  But I am surprised that no one else has mentioned the strategy that works best for me:  I make a "gratitude list".  Typically I set my goal as writing down ten things for which I am grateful on a numbered list.  There are those times when it's a struggle to think of five and other times when I just can't stop at twenty.  But in either situation, I always feel better afterwards than before I started.

Bronze Conversationalist

Hi @ms78901629 I agree and there is a gratitude thread if you would like to post a daily gratitude list 🙂 Health Forums, Healthy Living Forum, What are you Grateful For TODAY. Lol, I can only come up with 1 each day. 10, yikes 😱

Trusted Contributor

i won't let depression get a hold of me. what i do to get out of a bad mood is listen to soothing music; classic bluegrass &/or celtic does the trick. sometimes i read a book of some kind or i really get into some t.v. program imagining myself as part of it. it works.

I go to the dollar store and purchase toiletry items for the homeless put them in small bags and pass them out as I see homeless people on the street when I drive to work in the city it got me through this past holiday after losing my mom last year makes me feel really good

Bronze Conversationalist

Hi @LindaC477644 I am so sorry for your loss 😭

Conversationalist

Linda, I am so sorry for the loss of your mom.  She would definitely be proud of your kindness and compassion.  If there are Big Lots stores in your area, they were always a great resource of the travel size toiletries.  About five years ago I volunteered once a month with a church group and handed out toiletries.  My friend Lori and I also used round looms to make beanies for the cold nights that the homeless couldn't find a shelter.  You rock Linda!  Christine

I go to the dollar store and purchase toiletry items for the homeless put them in small bags and pass them out as I see homeless people on the street when I drive to work in the city it got me through this past holiday after losing my mom last year makes me feel really good

I put on Reggae and dance! Motion is the Lotion!

Conversationalist

I drink Lemon Balm Tea- it makes you feel so calm,peaceful and relaxed. Then, I listen to some relaxing music and dance around and around. If I feel energetic I will do some Tai Chi on YouTube which keeps your mind and soul feeling so happy, it’s best if can outside because you get all that nature’s energy.

Super Contributor

Blue language helps a lot. No one to hear me but the cat.  I've heard a few choice ME-ows coming from him.

Periodic Contributor

Thanks for what you've shared.  I find taking a break from the news helps, gentle yoga and the serenity prayer. "Serenity to accept things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference."

Gold Conversationalist

A couplea stiff ones works for me!  🥃🥃

Contributor

I put in my earbuds and take a long walk outdoors.

Periodic Contributor

I go for a long walk, preferably in nature. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

this is an excellent topic! I also exercise to improve my mood - I usually do yoga. Additionally, I like to go for walks because being outside always makes me feel better. Lately, I've been journaling quite a bit as well. it helps me uncover my feelings and process them.

Conversationalist

I've been wanting to try yoga, but feel a little intimidated.  Any suggestions on how to start? Getting outside, got to get some vitamin D!

Regular Contributor

AARP has some great meditations and yoga/stretching videos.

I access them through aarp.org/rewards/earn, then filter by SELF and VIDEOS.

Besides helping exercise and relax, they earn Reward Points!

Contributor

Try yoga with Adriene on YouTube.  Check out a gentle yoga, yoga for seniors, or a beginners’ yoga (all at no cost).  Yoga with Kassandra (also free on YouTube) is another good instructor (again gentle, beginners or seniors).

Periodic Contributor

Thank you. I just subscribed to both. I love yoga. I used to have a video tape of a 30 minute session that I loved. But it accidentally got recorded over. I've been trying to find something that works for me ever since, in yoga. And I'm trying to have a variety of workouts for my mind and body 😊

Contributor

Help, can't seem to break out of this.  feeling so low, other than finding yoga i can do in a wheelchair, i'm stumped.  anyone with ideas for me, would be most appreciated. ( fyi - need another new knee, and one hip replaced.  scared to death as my first knee replacement 6 years ago didn't go so well.  today my other leg went out and had to use wheelchair to get around house.)

Conversationalist

@AmyS855002, Wondering how you are doing.  Would love to get an update.  Christine

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Christine, I am doing ok.  I have had some days that felt heavier than others but I'm learning to look for the good in each day.  Less news, little more yoga, good music and talking to people who care about me helps.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@amwj It might be good to get a general exam and lab work to see if everything is ok physically, then talk candidly with your doctor about your low mood.  There may be other things that could help.  Glad you are doing the exercise and talking to others.  Take care, Christine

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

How have you been?

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@amwj , I'm doing well, thx for asking.  Married last year and both of us sold our individual houses.  We will be moving into our new place in the next 2 weeks. A full year in the making, but in the home stretch ( pun intended! ).  Christine

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Virtual Community Center 

Offering a wide variety of FREE interactive, online events and classes designed for learning, self-improvement, and fun. Learn More

AARP Games

Throw it back and play Atari's Missile Command. Grab your arsenal to neutralize your enemy and protect your cities from a missile attack. You got this!

AARP Games Atari Missile Command

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health

Let Us Work for You

AARP is your trusted friend and fierce defender. Membership unlocks powerful benefits to help you in your life. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership