Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you find and make new friends?

Message 11 of 20

Live in small town next to largest Army Base US has. Activities are extremely limited for seniors. I do workout almost daily,  take care of myself and pets, repair everything myself and maintain my yard. The community isnt friendly, have extended my hand to many but lucky they wave back. Speak to people everywhere I go but not been able to acquire any friends. Rarely hear from my sons they are always to busy. Almost 70, wonder if they will miss me when I am gone. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 20

I am 72 years old and not really looking for new friends.

My friends are mostly made up of ladies I grew up with from  elementary school and the neighborhood where I grew up to present and a select few from federal and state employment.

Although, not looking for friends, I still like to meet and interact with people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 20

I just moved into neighbor. I speak to people in stores.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 20
I read a NYT’s piece about women in the LA area who have also done this exact same thing. Brilliant.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 20

We bought a second home in Florida (we currently live in New York) in a very active 55+ community in anticipation of retiring down there full-time in the next couple of years.  We've found people to be very friendly and open to new friendships. After people are retired, they have more time to develop friendships again.  I found when you're busy working and raising children, your time is very limited.  After retirement, we're always meeting people who are looking to find friends to do things with since many have their families back north/west.  We're very happy with our choice.  We're hoping to maintain our New York friends by visits up north and hosting them down south, but we are seeing we're developing new friendships down in Florida as well.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 20

I joined a wonderful group called Meetup 55 Plus.  I have made many wonderful friends and we are always trying new things and going to old favorites.  In the town I live in there are Meetups for all sorts of activities, its worth a look.  As a result, I have made friends thru this group that I travel with now. Went to Costa Rica with 2 of them and going to the Keys and Cuba with 4 of them. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

How do you find and make new friends?

Message 17 of 20

I ask those on when they will expire for good! We create bonds based on this question, and plan on meeting again when that time arives for all of us!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 20

I moved to an Independent Living Community.  It was a totally new experience for me as I had never lived in an apartment before.  People told me I would hate it but I actually love it because there are lots of activities where you get a chance to meet other residents.  It wasn't easy for me to do that as I am somewhat shy but I knew if I wanted to make friends, I had to put myself out there and I did!  I volunteer here, attend Bible classes and church services.  I am part of a book club and also serve as the Librarian, a job which I "inherited" from another resident who passed away.  We do many social things, crafting, Happy Hour once a month, as dining out.  I am glad to have come to be part of this wonderful community of people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 20

Friendships are one of the true joys of life. I now make a commitment to join book clubs, educational groups, social groups just to make these incredible connections which take investment. I’ve also lost many lifelong friends through their passing and mourn how long it took to build those incredible and rewarding relationships and how fast they are gone. Looking forward to many more amazing connections while celebrating the gift of life. 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How do you find and make new friends?

Message 20 of 20

Do you find it diffucult to make new friends are you get older?   Great article on this here:  https://www.thegirlfriend.com/relationships/making-friends-middle-age-damn-hard what do you think?

AARPTeri
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark