Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you find and make new friends?

Message 1 of 20
Wish we lived closer. I’d definitely be up for getting out and about from activities to lunches to exercise.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

OlifOlif, If you have to "buy" friends, they aren't really friends. Move on and find real ones.
Go on cruises and trips.
I spend $100 per adult child and their spouses, I have 2. I have one Grandchild. I spend $100 on him... for Christmas. Birthdays, I give them a card and tell them they should bring me a gift for bringing them into the world. Smiley Happy
Older life is not about spending your money on others. It is for enjoying the 4th quarter of your life.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

How do you find and make new friends?

Message 3 of 20

The only way we can make "friends" is when we invite them to dinner and WE have to pick up the tab!! Or if we invite them to a concert, WE pay for the tickets! Otherwise, they won't bother to show up! It's either they join us for free, or they will say "No thanks

We you get to a certain age, nobody wants to do anything except watch TV or spend too much time with their grandkids! However, they will pay hundreds of dollars for their grandbrats, and we have to spend the same amount, if not more, just so we won"t wind up as another bunch of old farts and watch TV all day and be in bed by 9:00 PM!!

Bah!!

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer.  You never know who you will meet that could be your next best friend.  And you get to feel like you belong to this new group and feel very good in that you are helping out.  It gets you out of the house.  It doesn’t matter what you do, there is a volunteer organization out there looking for your skills.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

I’m divorced for more than 25 years.  Recently, I have been grieving the loss of my sister, a dear cousin, and best friend from childhood.  Feeling depressed is so painful.  It has also brought forth loneliness, which is so debilitating.  It seems that older folks have difficulty in acquiring new friendships. 

I live in Los Angeles, and not really the online dating type.  I’d be delighted to meet both men and lady friends.  I am not a loner, and enjoy people - that being one on one; or groups.  I enjoy most everything having to do with learning -  different cultures, theater, film, travel, games, walks, the arts, lectures, fishing, etc. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  

Most Sincerely,

Rhoda

From So.  California 🌺

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

@bgsdaughter 

Hello BGS 🙋‍♀️

That's awesome thanks for sharing such a hopeful & positive experience 

Have a beautiful weekend 

Ginger  :  ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

Yoga class friends (we go to lunch together every Sunday after yoga); book club friends; phone & email friends from high school (I'm in California and they're in New Jersey); friends from my old job - I have lunch every month with three of these friends, and another monthly lunch with anywhere from three to thirteen friends who show up every month at a restaurant near where we used to work.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

If you are a bit shy, it can be really hard to meet and make new friends.  When you are in school or at a job, you find you can bond with people easily, but as you get older and retire, it may take more effort.  After living in homes all my life, I moved into an Independent/Assisted Living community. There was a gentleman who was sitting outside soaking up the sun (it was August) when I first arrived and filled out an application for an apartment.  I introduced myself to him and told him I was moving in!  He simply said, "Good.!"  I eventually learned that he was Leon and a veteran.  He sat outside every day, rain or shine!  He was a delightful man and made me feel welcome.  As I unpacked and put away my things, another resident, a woman stopped and simply asked, '"Oh, can I see your apartment?"  I gave her a tour and learned she lived on the 3rd floor.  When I made my first visit to the dining room, another lady came and asked if I was new.  She told me I could sit with her and 2 others at a table.  One thing led to another and I made many friends this way.  I, in turn, took up the mantle and made sure to greet new residents with a smile and " my name is,..."

I have made friends for life!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

It sounds like you're very isolated.  I would consider moving.  I find 55+ communities are great because everyone is retired, has the time and opportunity to socialize.  Most have multiple activities that seniors can get involved in.  It's a shame with our mobile society that we lose contact with our children so easily.  Good luck! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

I  would look for Meetups online in your area or nearby towns. Also u might consider moving I live in a college town and betwwen making friends and doing activities thru it and the university I barely have enough time to work out and do my chores  Good Luck 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Rewards for Good announcement banner with end date
Top Authors