Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you find and make new friends?

Message 11 of 23

If you are a bit shy, it can be really hard to meet and make new friends.  When you are in school or at a job, you find you can bond with people easily, but as you get older and retire, it may take more effort.  After living in homes all my life, I moved into an Independent/Assisted Living community. There was a gentleman who was sitting outside soaking up the sun (it was August) when I first arrived and filled out an application for an apartment.  I introduced myself to him and told him I was moving in!  He simply said, "Good.!"  I eventually learned that he was Leon and a veteran.  He sat outside every day, rain or shine!  He was a delightful man and made me feel welcome.  As I unpacked and put away my things, another resident, a woman stopped and simply asked, '"Oh, can I see your apartment?"  I gave her a tour and learned she lived on the 3rd floor.  When I made my first visit to the dining room, another lady came and asked if I was new.  She told me I could sit with her and 2 others at a table.  One thing led to another and I made many friends this way.  I, in turn, took up the mantle and made sure to greet new residents with a smile and " my name is,..."

I have made friends for life!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 23

It sounds like you're very isolated.  I would consider moving.  I find 55+ communities are great because everyone is retired, has the time and opportunity to socialize.  Most have multiple activities that seniors can get involved in.  It's a shame with our mobile society that we lose contact with our children so easily.  Good luck! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 23

I  would look for Meetups online in your area or nearby towns. Also u might consider moving I live in a college town and betwwen making friends and doing activities thru it and the university I barely have enough time to work out and do my chores  Good Luck 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 23

Live in small town next to largest Army Base US has. Activities are extremely limited for seniors. I do workout almost daily,  take care of myself and pets, repair everything myself and maintain my yard. The community isnt friendly, have extended my hand to many but lucky they wave back. Speak to people everywhere I go but not been able to acquire any friends. Rarely hear from my sons they are always to busy. Almost 70, wonder if they will miss me when I am gone. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 23

I am 72 years old and not really looking for new friends.

My friends are mostly made up of ladies I grew up with from  elementary school and the neighborhood where I grew up to present and a select few from federal and state employment.

Although, not looking for friends, I still like to meet and interact with people.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 23

I just moved into neighbor. I speak to people in stores.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 23
I read a NYT’s piece about women in the LA area who have also done this exact same thing. Brilliant.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 23

We bought a second home in Florida (we currently live in New York) in a very active 55+ community in anticipation of retiring down there full-time in the next couple of years.  We've found people to be very friendly and open to new friendships. After people are retired, they have more time to develop friendships again.  I found when you're busy working and raising children, your time is very limited.  After retirement, we're always meeting people who are looking to find friends to do things with since many have their families back north/west.  We're very happy with our choice.  We're hoping to maintain our New York friends by visits up north and hosting them down south, but we are seeing we're developing new friendships down in Florida as well.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 23

I joined a wonderful group called Meetup 55 Plus.  I have made many wonderful friends and we are always trying new things and going to old favorites.  In the town I live in there are Meetups for all sorts of activities, its worth a look.  As a result, I have made friends thru this group that I travel with now. Went to Costa Rica with 2 of them and going to the Keys and Cuba with 4 of them. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

How do you find and make new friends?

Message 20 of 23

I ask those on when they will expire for good! We create bonds based on this question, and plan on meeting again when that time arives for all of us!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.