Community Manager
Community Manager

How about a single's shower?

Have you attended bridal showers and baby showers and wondered - hey why can't I celebrate being single?  Would you or have you ever attended a single shower?

Here's why you should https://www.thegirlfriend.com/relationships/why-single-showers-should-be-a-thing-yes-really

AARPTeri
Honored Social Butterfly

Nope, I don't think we need a special "Single Shower" or a "Single Person's Holiday" celebration. It's simple.  If you want to throw yourself a party for just being YOU or just "because".....DO IT!  Nothing's stopping you from doing that.  And if you want your friends to bring along a token of their esteem...."tell them!"  And there....it's done!

I think we have enough celebrations and holidays on the calendar.  We really don't need one more!

And that is my humble opinion!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have a question, rather than a comment: are showers really celebrations, or are they another occassion requiring a gift? 

Well, maybe I figured it out. Bridal showers are more intimate than weddings. But then so are bachelorette parties. Baby showers are a great way to celebrate a joyous occassion. But it hasn't happened yet, and that's the point. With a newborn, parents will be too busy to entertain. I'd rather send a gift AFTER the birth, but parents need stuff before the birth. So, gifts. 

I'm good. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I replied to this question earlier but I wasn't being serious in my answer.  I highly doubt anyone other than a single person herself would attend. As for buying a present, you would all have to reciprocate sooner or later and that could end up just being a headache. Aside from all that, the idea really doesn't fly. If you are single and enjoy it, everyday would be a celebration in itself. A shower simply isn't needed or necessary.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

I’ll bet Hallmark is the real driving force behind this idea!

0 Kudos

Sounds like another money grab to me, I would not attend.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The only good shower is the one where you get cleaned up, showers as parties are dumb.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Please....where do l sign up?

Rediculous!   Nothing wrong with being single, but if you are staying single there is no CHANGE going on in your life to celebrate!  All the other showers like baby and wedding involve a life-changing event to celebrate.   I know people who get divorced and celebrate being single but I don't think a shower is appropriate.  After all, the next thing that will happen is we will be expected to particiate in a shower for someone who just became a widower or widow and is darn happy about it! (not a thing to celebrate since that is disrespectful to the deceased, no matter how glad their spouse was that they died.)

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

No, I don't like this. Just to put it in context, as a single, I always got stuck covering for others, often five months at a clip, on top of my own job. However, there is no "occasion" here. What makes sense, is to do something like have a house warming party (or apartment), for someone single when they are getting a new plac, give them a nice birthday party when they are too old for parents to be doing it, etc. But a "singles" shower, nah! 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Why can’t one celebrate being single? There is no limit to what we can celebrate. Celebrations are meant to bring people together whatever the reason. I like Oprah Winfrey’s take on celebration: "The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate."

Having attended multiple weddings, anniversaries, showers, etc., if we expect something in return, are we not missing the point of giving? Selfless giving?  Luke 6:34 --"If you lend (or give) to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you?" 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have to be real and say I don't attend bridal showers, baby showers as a rule. Don't misunderstand; congrats and all of that, but seriously, sometimes you just get tired of the whole scene. However, I would love to attend a single shower for a change. It's about time singles aren't viewed as if we are the "Black Plague" because we are not in a relationship, married or about to be married (or chose not to have children).

Wheres my invite? 🥂🎂 🙂

Regular Contributor

A very interesting idea. I'm in. Why not....I get tired of all the celebrations being about pairing up or bringing some kid in the world. Where's my celebration. The world acts like being single at age 66 is a curse....Bring it on...let's celebrate freedom....

Conversationalist

Personally, I think it's a silly idea.  I have never married (I am 72) and have attended my share of weddings, baby showers, and, unfortunately, funerals, as well as tupperware, jewelry or other parties. I enjoy going out with my friends for breakfast or lunch, or to go to a movie or play.   Who needs a shower?

Contributor

I totally agree. The last thing we need is more occasions to buy more stuff people don't need.

How much better to join with friends on a hike, lunch, movie, or visit to just laugh and chat.

Regular Contributor

A singles shower sounds fun. But what age should the earliest cut-off/payback be? 40? 45? This reminds me of an episode of "Sex and the City" when Carrie was tired of buying gifts for her friends' wedding and baby showers and not getting anything back in return.
https://decider.com/2017/08/17/today-in-tv-history-sex-and-the-city-shoes/