Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How about a single's shower?

Message 1 of 15

I have a question, rather than a comment: are showers really celebrations, or are they another occassion requiring a gift? 

Well, maybe I figured it out. Bridal showers are more intimate than weddings. But then so are bachelorette parties. Baby showers are a great way to celebrate a joyous occassion. But it hasn't happened yet, and that's the point. With a newborn, parents will be too busy to entertain. I'd rather send a gift AFTER the birth, but parents need stuff before the birth. So, gifts. 

I'm good. Thanks.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

I replied to this question earlier but I wasn't being serious in my answer.  I highly doubt anyone other than a single person herself would attend. As for buying a present, you would all have to reciprocate sooner or later and that could end up just being a headache. Aside from all that, the idea really doesn't fly. If you are single and enjoy it, everyday would be a celebration in itself. A shower simply isn't needed or necessary.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

I’ll bet Hallmark is the real driving force behind this idea!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

Sounds like another money grab to me, I would not attend.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

The only good shower is the one where you get cleaned up, showers as parties are dumb.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

Please....where do l sign up?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

Rediculous!   Nothing wrong with being single, but if you are staying single there is no CHANGE going on in your life to celebrate!  All the other showers like baby and wedding involve a life-changing event to celebrate.   I know people who get divorced and celebrate being single but I don't think a shower is appropriate.  After all, the next thing that will happen is we will be expected to particiate in a shower for someone who just became a widower or widow and is darn happy about it! (not a thing to celebrate since that is disrespectful to the deceased, no matter how glad their spouse was that they died.)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

No, I don't like this. Just to put it in context, as a single, I always got stuck covering for others, often five months at a clip, on top of my own job. However, there is no "occasion" here. What makes sense, is to do something like have a house warming party (or apartment), for someone single when they are getting a new plac, give them a nice birthday party when they are too old for parents to be doing it, etc. But a "singles" shower, nah! 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

Why can’t one celebrate being single? There is no limit to what we can celebrate. Celebrations are meant to bring people together whatever the reason. I like Oprah Winfrey’s take on celebration: "The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate."

Having attended multiple weddings, anniversaries, showers, etc., if we expect something in return, are we not missing the point of giving? Selfless giving?  Luke 6:34 --"If you lend (or give) to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you?" 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

I have to be real and say I don't attend bridal showers, baby showers as a rule. Don't misunderstand; congrats and all of that, but seriously, sometimes you just get tired of the whole scene. However, I would love to attend a single shower for a change. It's about time singles aren't viewed as if we are the "Black Plague" because we are not in a relationship, married or about to be married (or chose not to have children).

Wheres my invite? 🥂🎂 🙂

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season