Silver Conversationalist

How Many Shoes?

Visiting with my daughter the other day for her birthday.  The topic of clothes and shoes came up.  I asked her how many shoes she had.  She grimaced and said, "20 is that bad?" "Not at all," I said.  The average American woman has 19 ( though the range is 17-27 ) , while 15% have 30 or more.  On average, woman buy four new pairs a year.  Men average 12 pairs in their closet.

Of course, women's and men's wardrobes are vastly different, and shoe number reflects that.

I currently have 16.    Christine

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Definitely time for me to do a shoe clear out. And my neighbors are having a garage sale this weekend, maybe I'll take a few pairs down there.. nah - I'm donating them. Anyway I am above average. I have about 30 pairs including boots, flip flops and duplicates because my feet are hard to fit and when i find shoes I like I get multiples. NONE are heels. A few pairs are sort of as dressy, but most of them i never wear. 

I think I'd like to reserve the right to give an updated count on Sunday.  It's definitely clear out the shoes time. 

I don't have plantar fasciitis but I have arthritis in the bones in the top of my feet (between my toes and ankle) so I can't wear a lot of shoes that have straps. And I have short wide feet. Actually the only shoe size I can order online is boys 5 1/2 W. Women's shoes are a challenge, hence my having 2 pairs of a few styles. 

I do need arch supports because my weight has flattened out my arches - but I have a few sets of them that I rotate among my shoes and hold in place with velco dots. 

My husband... well he's the clothes horse and is also above average shoe collection-wise.  

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@ninaTx , I don't get caught up with the number, as much as do I wear them enough to justify them? Christine

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

@Rhymesometimes wrote:

@ninaTx , I don't get caught up with the number, as much as do I wear them enough to justify them? Christine

Oh absolutely. It wasn't the number so much as seeing shoes that I no longer wear AT ALL because I've found a more comfortable shoe for that same type of outfit or occasion.  And after I did, I never got rid of the old ones.

I have shoes I wont throw out even though I rarely wear them if they are for special events. I have semi-uncomfortable shoes to wear with me "formal night dress" that goes on cruises with me. I only wear them once every few years.  But they are as close as I'm getting for that purpose because I'm not spending good money for shoes I'll only wear once in a great while. They can make it through getting from the cabin to the dining room, and from the dining room to the lounge for after dinner drinks. And then I go barefoot, and they get put away for another few years.

But I need to think about the cute ballet slipper shoes I have that are for more frequent dressy things. And for the last year or so when i wuold have worn them I opted for the new, not quite as dressy but MUCH more comfortable newer shoes. Will I ever wear those cute ones again? I doubt it. I need to put them on and walk around and see. Maybe they are more comfortable than I remember (HA!). But a girl can hope. 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Wow @Rhymesometimes what interesting stats. If I don't count slippers (one soft soled moccasins I wear ALL the time, and one hard soled for the deck), I have 4 pairs of shoes, one of which is sandals that I forgot I had when I found them yesterday. And I thought I had 2 pairs of boots, but couldn't find one yesterday.  So 7 or 8 total. No evil foot torture devices (aka, heels).

I didn't even have the slippers until I had all my carpeting replaced with hard wood. Didn't realize wood floors would hold so much dust. I hate having dirty feet! And socks only on slick floors are not safe!

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@DeahWA,  In the house I'm usually wearing my Ortho Heel  slippers. Got diagnosed with plater fasciitis ( most common foot ailment ) a few years back, so I make sure my feet are well supported to prevent pain.  Vionics are good quality shoes.  Usually wear New Balance for walking/workout shoes.  Mephistos cause an arm and a leg, but I wait until they go on sale, the sandals seem to  last forever, nice styling and super comfy and supportive.  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Oh no! @Rhymesometimes Plantar Fasciitis is the worst!!! Been there. With bone spurs in my heel too. Homeopathy completely cured it for me and neither problem has ever returned. There may be some ND / constitutional homeopaths at the SCNM clinic in Tempe. I'd tell you which homeopathic remedy worked for me, but that's not the way homeopathy works -- it's highly individual, based on the whole person and their individual circumstances.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@DeahWA , Thank you for the offer,  haven't had a single flare since I started wear good shoes five years ago.  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Glad to hear it. Sounds like you are so active, it would really be awful to have to bear that pain all the time.  I never found shoes or inserts that made a difference for me. 

0 Kudos