Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 11 of 24

I'm trying to cut sugar from my diet.  I realized if I had a sugared boxed cereal in the morning that I was "hungry" all the day long -- so much so that I could finish the rest of the cereal box at night's end as a "snack"!  Then I looked at the ingredients:  sugar was the 3rd one.  Another cereal box I had "on hand" listed sugar as the 2nd ingredient.  I called both companies that made the cereal to ask why there is such a high sugar content.  Both replied:  "Because it gives the crunch!"

Not all cereals have such a high sugar ingredient listing.  I have my "rule" now of only purchasing ANY product if sugar is the 5th ingredient or farther down the line.  I'm convinced that sugar begets sugar!  And I also think they, the manufacturers who produce such heavily-sugared cereals, are doing such a disservice to the children.  Has AARP ever considered doing some sort of petition on the subject?  I would sign it in a heartbeat....

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 24

I am 45. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 24

I cut sugar, flour and processed foods from my diet when I discovered Brightline Eating. The message and science behind this way of eating coupled with my own experience hit a deep cord within me. Eating healthy nutrient rich food has changed my life is so many aspects. I have more energy, cravings for unhealthy food no longer exist, depressive symptoms abated and my overall sense of well being improved 10 fold. Weight loss was a natural by product. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 24

Last year during Lent I cut out simple carbohydrates - sugar, white flour & rice - as best as I could...it was tough, but at a doctor's visit near the end of those 6 weeks I had the best HDL, LDL, blood glucose readings and had dropped nearly 10 pounds. Of course, after Lent I started eating some of those foods again, but not as regularly, and find it easier to pass them up. Will similarly fast again this Lent - hopefully making it a life-long habit.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 24

I have cut out ice crea, cookies, candy @6 months ago - I cannot say I have noticed any changes in how I feel.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 24

I believe I am addicted to sugar. However, I can limit my sugar to a serving.  However, sugar is in so many foods. I find that to keep within 100 calories from sugar is very, very, very difficult. I am interested to know your age. I am a 72 year old woman. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 24

I have to say it sounds like you are in my head.  I have not been able to stop my craving for sugar since I was a kid.  I spent thousands on dental work and currently wear dentures because I lost all but two of my teeth.  My doctor just recently put me on metformin to control my blood sugar.  Did that make me cut out the sweets?  Of course not.  I know what sugar is doing to my body but I just cannot stop the cravings.   Just have to keep trying.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 24

Yes I have - over and over and over again.  My doctor told me that I have an "addiction" to sugar just like people have addictions to drugs.  If or when I quit eating sugar, I have to do it cold turkey and suffer for several weeks.  I'm not the type of person who can "just have one" bite of anything sweet, just like a drug addict can't have just one "taste" of a drug.  The cycle will begin all over again and I will gorge on sweets and eventually stop cold turkey again.  It's become the biggest burden of my life and believe me I've tried everything from hypnosis to group therapy to going to a fat farm, etc., etc.  It all works for a while but nothing has worked forever.  Will power goes only so far.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 24

Yes.  Actually I cut "white" from my diet.  Sugar, flour and salt.  I've lost 35 pounds... From 155 to 120... And I feel fantastic.  Occasionally I will have a Christmas cookie or a tiny slice of birthday cake, but after 13 months of this, it's no longer a diet.  It's just feeding my body the good stuff and taking care of my health.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 24

Three years ago I weighed 250lbs and realized I was addicted to sugar sweets like ice cream cakes pies and cookies. I couldn't stop goarging on them.  So, I went to a hypnotist. She said,, I can't make you not like them; but, I can't make you think when you reach for them, No, I would rather be healthy. And pull your hand away. I have not had any pies cake candy since then and my weight has now bottomed out at 196. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit