Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you ever cut sugar from your diet?

If you have ever cut sugar from your diet, what result did you have?  Did you just quit cold turkey or gradually reduce?  

Great article about what changes cutting sugar did for author: https://www.thegirlfriend.com/health/i-cut-sugar-from-my-diet-and-it-improved-far-more-than-just-how...

AARPTeri

I've been sugar free for 2 months. I feel much better more energy and my arthritis isn't hurting as bad.  At first I felt like I was in a coma but finally because I'm stubborn and made up my mind it's better for me I'm cruising along. I'm using keto recipes and not buying junk stuff. It's my life now. 🥳🥳

0 Kudos
Contributor

After I became aware of the damage sugar can do to one's health, I decided to cut it out. However, being a slave to an occasional "sweet" I substituted sugar made from the Stevia plant instead of the usual Cane sugar. It worked like a charm! I felt better, looked better, and was no longer a slave to the 'sweet' of Cane sugar because the Stevia was the perfect sweetener for me. Try it.

Regular Contributor

If I cut out sugar, I lose weight easier.

Periodic Contributor

I don't crave sugar like most folks do. If it is on a table with other foods I will probably skip it and go after one of my less sugary favorites. In this family we do a dessert on Saturday and then nothing until the following week. Or as it has been going so far if there are no desserts or chocolates or other sugar foods in the house I won't go after them. Temptation removed. We eat healthy do not go out to eat like a lot of people do. I prefer to make my food at home. This cuts down on the fats, sugar and salt. So yes, we have cut sugar from our diets and that would be in the form of desserts removed from the house. We also have made a monthly menu from recipes that are our favorites, buy the ingredients and make it ourselves. Has worked out 2 months in a row. We even do this while camping. It is all a mind set. Remove the temptation and  you won't go after it. The other members aren't happy about the sugar removal but I am.

Regular Contributor

I cut sugar from my diet for a year.  I didn't loose weight but the less sugar I ate, the less I crave it.  Therefore, I believe sugar is addicting. 

Contributor

Hi, I'm Shirlee and I'm a Food Addict.  I am 77 years old & I have tried every EXPENSIVE diet out there - they don't work if you're "addicted" to sugar (etc.). I have been "abstinent" for 10 years and have lost 70 pounds. Unfortunately as an addict, I can never eat sugar again in any form.  For more information & (FREE) meeting locations, go to foodaddicts.org..

I'm in Albuquerque, NM - my phone is on the web site...

Contributor

I'm trying to cut sugar from my diet.  I realized if I had a sugared boxed cereal in the morning that I was "hungry" all the day long -- so much so that I could finish the rest of the cereal box at night's end as a "snack"!  Then I looked at the ingredients:  sugar was the 3rd one.  Another cereal box I had "on hand" listed sugar as the 2nd ingredient.  I called both companies that made the cereal to ask why there is such a high sugar content.  Both replied:  "Because it gives the crunch!"

Not all cereals have such a high sugar ingredient listing.  I have my "rule" now of only purchasing ANY product if sugar is the 5th ingredient or farther down the line.  I'm convinced that sugar begets sugar!  And I also think they, the manufacturers who produce such heavily-sugared cereals, are doing such a disservice to the children.  Has AARP ever considered doing some sort of petition on the subject?  I would sign it in a heartbeat....

Contributor

I cut sugar, flour and processed foods from my diet when I discovered Brightline Eating. The message and science behind this way of eating coupled with my own experience hit a deep cord within me. Eating healthy nutrient rich food has changed my life is so many aspects. I have more energy, cravings for unhealthy food no longer exist, depressive symptoms abated and my overall sense of well being improved 10 fold. Weight loss was a natural by product. 

Contributor

Last year during Lent I cut out simple carbohydrates - sugar, white flour & rice - as best as I could...it was tough, but at a doctor's visit near the end of those 6 weeks I had the best HDL, LDL, blood glucose readings and had dropped nearly 10 pounds. Of course, after Lent I started eating some of those foods again, but not as regularly, and find it easier to pass them up. Will similarly fast again this Lent - hopefully making it a life-long habit.

Contributor

I have cut out ice crea, cookies, candy @6 months ago - I cannot say I have noticed any changes in how I feel.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yes I have - over and over and over again.  My doctor told me that I have an "addiction" to sugar just like people have addictions to drugs.  If or when I quit eating sugar, I have to do it cold turkey and suffer for several weeks.  I'm not the type of person who can "just have one" bite of anything sweet, just like a drug addict can't have just one "taste" of a drug.  The cycle will begin all over again and I will gorge on sweets and eventually stop cold turkey again.  It's become the biggest burden of my life and believe me I've tried everything from hypnosis to group therapy to going to a fat farm, etc., etc.  It all works for a while but nothing has worked forever.  Will power goes only so far.

Contributor

I actually would rather have something sweet for dinner the food was not good. Definitely an addiction of some sort. 
No such thing as one cookie or five cookies it's many more.
don't buy them can't bring them in the house. I have haven't been able so control this  problem my whole life so at 84, guess I'll have to just to live with it. Cadbury milk chocolate and Hershey kisses are biggest problem. 😱😱

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have to say it sounds like you are in my head.  I have not been able to stop my craving for sugar since I was a kid.  I spent thousands on dental work and currently wear dentures because I lost all but two of my teeth.  My doctor just recently put me on metformin to control my blood sugar.  Did that make me cut out the sweets?  Of course not.  I know what sugar is doing to my body but I just cannot stop the cravings.   Just have to keep trying.

Contributor

Not able to stop craving sweets since I was a really aware of it. Have to have Chocolate almost everyday.!!

🙄

0 Kudos
Contributor

Mot able to stop craving sweets since I was a really aware of it. Have to have Chocolate almost everyday.!!

🙄

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes.  Actually I cut "white" from my diet.  Sugar, flour and salt.  I've lost 35 pounds... From 155 to 120... And I feel fantastic.  Occasionally I will have a Christmas cookie or a tiny slice of birthday cake, but after 13 months of this, it's no longer a diet.  It's just feeding my body the good stuff and taking care of my health.  

I believe I am addicted to sugar. However, I can limit my sugar to a serving.  However, sugar is in so many foods. I find that to keep within 100 calories from sugar is very, very, very difficult. I am interested to know your age. I am a 72 year old woman. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am 45. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Three years ago I weighed 250lbs and realized I was addicted to sugar sweets like ice cream cakes pies and cookies. I couldn't stop goarging on them.  So, I went to a hypnotist. She said,, I can't make you not like them; but, I can't make you think when you reach for them, No, I would rather be healthy. And pull your hand away. I have not had any pies cake candy since then and my weight has now bottomed out at 196. 

Contributor

Great job, I haven’t been able to do it.
😱
0 Kudos
Contributor

I have cut sugar out but did start using it again. Much less. We do not have sugar in our house. It's only used in recipes that need it such as cake, pie.  Otherwise it's honey for tea and coffee creamer for coffee.  And milk for hot chocolate.  But did you know I did that and got told that I was borderline hypoglycemic by my doctor.  Went back and was okay. Too much honey. So if you are going to do it, a little sugar is not dangerous.  

Contributor

Yes I really have never been a sugar person but now no sugar at all alone with very low carbs. I have never felt better. no HBP pills it's normal and lost 35 lbs. I walk daily. life is good.

Super Contributor

My weakness.  They say too much is as bad as smoking or sedentary lifestyle.

0 Kudos