Bronze Conversationalist

Does a piece of clothing change how you feel?

My favorite thing to wear is my  beautiful polka dot dress .  It has a navy blue background and big bold white dots. Ironically, I usually dress pretty conservatively with lots of neutrals and no crazy patterns.  But this dress instantly gives me energy, makes me feel confident, playful and happy. It's initially pushed me out of my fashion comfort zone, and now I love to put it on to give me a lift. 

Do you remember Julia Roberts wearing that gorgeous polka dot dress in "Pretty Woman?"  It's kind of like that.  

Conversationalist

Definitely makes a difference. Texture, weight of fabric, color, all carry subtle energies that can impact mood, and sense of self. After a year of pandemic isolation in raggedy sweaters and henley shirts, I wore a nice lavender moleskin shirt-jacket the other day to meet a friend and felt like a grown up with a brain again.

Bronze Conversationalist

@DeahC77388 , Thank you for your response.  It is amazing that clothes can have such an impact!  I felt the same way when I ditched some  of my "mom jeans" and other stay at home mom clothes a while back.  Though, I heard mom jeans are coming  back.  😃Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

A follow up to this is a new documentary called :Worn Stories" about how a certain piece of clothing makes you feel, or even changes your life.  It's entertaining  Christine

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Virtual Community Center 

Offering a wide variety of FREE interactive, online events and classes designed for learning, self-improvement, and fun. Learn More

Members Can Play More

Membership unlocks free online games and puzzles including classic Atari Games. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health