Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you have a kid in school? How are they dealing with cancelled proms and remote learning?

This is a very different time for kids in school? How are they dealing with cancelled proms and graduations?  College kids moving home and finishing online.  Share what you are dealing with.

https://www.thegirlfriend.com/parenting/the-coronavirus-impact-on-my-high-school-senior

AARPTeri
Contributor

I have a kindergartener. We were all so excited for him to start school... and he started virtually. Seemed to be doing okay, and his teachers do a phenomenal job of keeping the kids engaged. We were so excited when he got to go for two weeks in November, but schools closed again. Since he had a taste of the real thing, he knows what he's missing now and definitely gets frustrated. Trying to keep my head up, but it's hard... I'm constantly working on my job search (just finished grad school) and trying to write, but it's rough when I'm troubleshooting and listening to kindergarten chatter in the background!
0 Kudos

My Senior in HS is not doing well. She is very disengaged and can't stay focused during remote learning. She went from being a straight A student to all B's last semester and I hate to see what happens this semester, which is her last! It's a struggle to get her to wake up and login each morning and she basically does class from bed in her PJ's. This from a student who was taking multiple AP's and always highly focused on academics. It's hard to watch and though I try to get her and moving, it's hard to battle with her everyday on it. I can't wait till this is over & just pray that she will be able to get back in a more healthy pattern. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I do.  I have a child still in middle school.  He starts real distance learning on Monday.  We've been homeschooling the past couple of weeks.   He doesn't like school in general, but he really misses going to school now.  It's no fun being stuck at home with nothing to do. Can't play with friends, can't go to the beach, can't see a movie, can't go to a museum.  It's a mess. 

My daughter is in college.  She's back home but she is entertaining herself by chatting with friends on whatever aps they use these days.   And she likes to read, so that helps.   Her college courses were already a blend online and in class.  So her particular professors were able to transition to distance learning pretty easily. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Join The Girlfriend and AARP® Staying Sharp® for a special live Facebook event on June 17th at 7:30 p.m. ET! Therapist Rachel Noble will discuss tips to create well-being and joy as we emerge from the pandemic.

Members Can Save More When They Travel

Save when booking a flight & hotel package. Join AARP today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health