Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you go to eat out alone or go to a movie alone?

How many of you are a party of one? It doesn't even mean you're a single! Check out this article on Party of One. Tell us do you love it? Has anyone ever made you feel uncomfortable?

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

Pre-Covid, I would go out to lunch every few months alone and bring a book.  Loved it!  If I was feeling especially nerdy, I would bring my Sudoku book.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Both. It's been a long while since I dropped out of the dating game. 

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

HI to you all!  I'm a Newbie to this topic but just thought i'd join in since it is part of my life and has been for quite sometime, now.  And YES i'm okay with that.  It's been awhile (like 17 yrs now that i've been single) and i'm sure in the beginning i felt "lost" after 17 yrs of marriage but that was then  and then there's now...May 2020.  

Thank goodness i enjoy doing things alone and yep that includes long distance driving to see friends and family. 🙂  I can do what i want, when i want and nobody to complain or debate where to go or what to do.  Oh sure, i still miss certain things about being in a relationship...but then being single or in a relationship both have their pros & cons.  But as of right now i'm happy eating out, which i don't do often, and going to a movie alone.  I do take myself out for holidays and the most important holiday...MY birthday!  lol

My Daughter just moved here to Lake Havasu, AZ from Colorado...so things have changed a bit as far as doing things totally alone...in a good way.  🙂

I hope you ALL have a great day and even better tomorrows...Judy 👍 💃

May we think of freedom, not as the right to do as we please, but as the opportunity to do what is right.
Periodic Contributor

It took a while before I felt comfortable doing things on my own. I eventually got used to going to the movies by myself which I particularly liked since I didn't have to take turns picking a moving and having to sit through something I wasn't really interested in. But then again, I enjoy company and interacting and having fun discussions with my friends.The best part of that is having someone to have lunch with, catch up on what's going on and grabbing  a couple margaritas before going to see a movie.That's fun and needed at times.

My worse case scenario was when my daughter had a volleyball game in Vegas and my ex at the time went on a golf weekend with the boys. I bravely went to a theater and after I paid I noticed an unusual amount of people coming in. From the corner of my eye I saw someone come out of the back with a basket of flowers and valentines. It was Valentine's Day! I felt like an idiot! I almost left  but I mustered enough courage to go and find a seat, which I did, between couples on both sides of me holding hands. I just took a deep breath and sucked it up! I'm past that and finally reached my comfort zone when I went to The Cheesecake Factory and had lunch by myself, had a drink and went next door to Macy's before driving home. 

Super Contributor

im3065452, My favorite day is Valentine's Day. Hubby passed almost four years ago, but he always brought me roses and out to a nice dinner.  Now, I send a nice greetings to my friends and children.

However, this year my daughter took me to a wonderful lunch at the same restaurant hubby and I

went to.  I must say it was the happiest day I've spent since his passing. I've been one fortunate

lady. Love is most important..... at least if only some can experience  it one day a year ! 

I don't know why you felt like an idiot, but glad you "sucked it up" and treated yourself thereafter. 

Honored Social Butterfly

All the time and always have. I love seeing movies alone. Nobody complains. 

it's actually one of the things I miss most right now with social distancing.

Super Contributor

Yes, to both.  Can come and go as I choose.  No "quibbling" as another commenter said.

Consider servers at my usual restaurant as friends and enjoy good natured banter.

Often, they know exactly what I want.  "The usual?"  "Sure,"

Info Seeker

Yes, and I have been for years - even when I was married.  Now that I am divorced, I continued the tradition.

Typically I bring my kindle with me when planning I'll-do-this-alone activities.  I will go to the beach, festivals, and outdoor concerts as well as dining out.  I am not a movie goer to begin with.

I have met a lot of interesting people this way and it really opened my mind.  I also tend to notice more of my surroundings.  I have not tried distance travelling for pleasure however, of that I am a bit nervous.

I do have a BF and he finds it weird and doesn't like me to do it (safety), so he either joins me or sees me later.  He gets out more now 🙂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Okay!  So "yes" I do go out to eat alone on occasion and I say "go out to eat," I don't mean a fast food drive through.  I mean going out to eat wherein I actually get out of my car and go inside of a "sit-down" restaurant.  You see, I have a favorite neighborhood coney island restaurant that I have been frequenting for many, many years.  The food is very, very good.  And it's always bustling with folks which I call "the regulars."  Even though we may not speak more words than a simple "hello" or "good morning,"  their faces and mine are familiar to each other.  So whether I go by myself or with a friend, I feel comfortable and without hesitation.

Now as far as moviegoing,  I have absolutely no problem going alone.  However, I generally like going during the early day or afternoon showings.  The crowds aren't there.  There's no lines to have to wait in for tickets or snacks.  And the bathrooms are generally at their cleanest.  And of course, the tickets are their cheapest.  Also, I don't have to quibble with a movie-going companion about what to go see.  So it makes for an easygoing, fun time all the way 'round for me.

Periodic Contributor

Having a meal or attending an event alone is the only way I do this.  It provides for a stress-free and pleasant experience.  It allows for contentment and the peaceful enjoyment of the event.

Regular Contributor

I honestly do not enjoy doing things solo..especially social things.  I am a young at heart 70 year old and been a widow for quite a while. Most of my female friends dont want to do much except sit on a porch and they dont  or wont drive any more. Trying to encourage them to be more active and to enjoy life more IS  like a full time job!!  FUN to them is me driving them to the mall or a local burger king....so ,yes I have gotten use to going it alone if I want to enjoy and do more, nothing wrong with the above things ....I just need more. My travel group has retired for the winter so iam planning on driving to a few local short distance places, also would love a cruise[ maybe not for winter] to Hawai or Alaska, my local friends wont even consider this thought so am going and will take my 12 yr old granddaughter....or take a singles cruise.  Its unfortunate but  a lot of the times one has to do things alone.

Contributor

Good for you!!  I'm going to the International Balloon Festival next month, something I couldn't seem to find time for when I was working; so, I'm trying to make up for lost time. (lol) 

You should try the Meetup.com site . . .

Contributor

No.

0 Kudos

All the time.

Contributor

As time goes on, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to go out.  I never eat alone.  I have gone to movies by myself but I usually justify waiting until it comes out on Netflix.

Yes I do!

If I can’t find a friend to go there is always the possibility of meeting a new friend!!!

I go out to eat alone many times. If there’s a movie I want to see and nobody to go when I’m ready then I’ll go it alone.

Contributor

Yes, quite often. I am ok with being by myself and enjoy the freedom of not caring on a conversation after a stressful day.   Gathering my thoughts and rejuvenating myself. At age 68 I need that  quiet time.

Eat out alone sometimes but with friends most of the time. 

I'm uncomfortable going to a movie by myself. It just doesn't feel right. I will go to a movie theatre with a friend. Most of the time I rent a movie or watch tv.

Contributor

Yes, definitely. I live life to the fullest. If I want  to do something or have fun, I just do it, even if it’s alone. 

Contributor

Of course! The option is missing out on what I may want to do, just because someone else is not available, or interested. What a waste!!

when I go out alone is to reconnect with oneself. Sometime my life can become so overwhelming with work and family; it's hard to find time for me.

Contributor

Yes, I go out to eat alone.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have gone out alone to both the movies & dinner. I pick the time of day & the place I feel comfortable being. 

I see people out with a full table on their phones. ???. So, I don't need to sit at a tabke with a gang of folks on thier phones & still be alone.

Venture out. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Absolutely, it's enjoyable and I read on my Kindle enjoy my time out of the house . Have a great meal and I  do not have to cook, I also do not have to clean up.

Contributor

Yes I do go out and eat alone. I am single, being a widow and if I want to go to a restaurant I go alone. At first it was not easy but now it seems normal.
Contributor

I do go out to eat sline6 or with friends. Mostly alone though. For movies, watch Netflux6 at home. Uncomfortable doing so since husband recently passed.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yes, I tried it once and a guy came and sat down next to me and asked me if he could hold my hand.  Never again!  It's too uncomfortable.

0 Kudos

I go to the movies alone most of the time. My friends all work and I like to go during the week. You can’t talk during a movie anyway. Eating out is about 50/50. I like to go with friends, but have no problem going alone if no one is available.