Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Re: Do you go to eat out alone or go to a movie alone?

Message 1 of 63

Both. It's been a long while since I dropped out of the dating game. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 2 of 63

HI to you all!  I'm a Newbie to this topic but just thought i'd join in since it is part of my life and has been for quite sometime, now.  And YES i'm okay with that.  It's been awhile (like 17 yrs now that i've been single) and i'm sure in the beginning i felt "lost" after 17 yrs of marriage but that was then  and then there's now...May 2020.  

Thank goodness i enjoy doing things alone and yep that includes long distance driving to see friends and family. 🙂  I can do what i want, when i want and nobody to complain or debate where to go or what to do.  Oh sure, i still miss certain things about being in a relationship...but then being single or in a relationship both have their pros & cons.  But as of right now i'm happy eating out, which i don't do often, and going to a movie alone.  I do take myself out for holidays and the most important holiday...MY birthday!  lol

My Daughter just moved here to Lake Havasu, AZ from Colorado...so things have changed a bit as far as doing things totally alone...in a good way.  🙂

I hope you ALL have a great day and even better tomorrows...Judy 👍 💃

You can lead a Liberal to knowledge, but you can't make'em THINK! 😞
Trump 2020!!!
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Message 3 of 63

im3065452, My favorite day is Valentine's Day. Hubby passed almost four years ago, but he always brought me roses and out to a nice dinner.  Now, I send a nice greetings to my friends and children.

However, this year my daughter took me to a wonderful lunch at the same restaurant hubby and I

went to.  I must say it was the happiest day I've spent since his passing. I've been one fortunate

lady. Love is most important..... at least if only some can experience  it one day a year ! 

I don't know why you felt like an idiot, but glad you "sucked it up" and treated yourself thereafter. 

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 4 of 63

It took a while before I felt comfortable doing things on my own. I eventually got used to going to the movies by myself which I particularly liked since I didn't have to take turns picking a moving and having to sit through something I wasn't really interested in. But then again, I enjoy company and interacting and having fun discussions with my friends.The best part of that is having someone to have lunch with, catch up on what's going on and grabbing  a couple margaritas before going to see a movie.That's fun and needed at times.

My worse case scenario was when my daughter had a volleyball game in Vegas and my ex at the time went on a golf weekend with the boys. I bravely went to a theater and after I paid I noticed an unusual amount of people coming in. From the corner of my eye I saw someone come out of the back with a basket of flowers and valentines. It was Valentine's Day! I felt like an idiot! I almost left  but I mustered enough courage to go and find a seat, which I did, between couples on both sides of me holding hands. I just took a deep breath and sucked it up! I'm past that and finally reached my comfort zone when I went to The Cheesecake Factory and had lunch by myself, had a drink and went next door to Macy's before driving home. 

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 63

All the time and always have. I love seeing movies alone. Nobody complains. 

it's actually one of the things I miss most right now with social distancing.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Message 6 of 63

Yes, to both.  Can come and go as I choose.  No "quibbling" as another commenter said.

Consider servers at my usual restaurant as friends and enjoy good natured banter.

Often, they know exactly what I want.  "The usual?"  "Sure,"

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 63

Yes, and I have been for years - even when I was married.  Now that I am divorced, I continued the tradition.

Typically I bring my kindle with me when planning I'll-do-this-alone activities.  I will go to the beach, festivals, and outdoor concerts as well as dining out.  I am not a movie goer to begin with.

I have met a lot of interesting people this way and it really opened my mind.  I also tend to notice more of my surroundings.  I have not tried distance travelling for pleasure however, of that I am a bit nervous.

I do have a BF and he finds it weird and doesn't like me to do it (safety), so he either joins me or sees me later.  He gets out more now 🙂

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 8 of 63

Smiley Happy  I can relate.  Will start reading again like I used to.

Clairev
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 63

Okay!  So "yes" I do go out to eat alone on occasion and I say "go out to eat," I don't mean a fast food drive through.  I mean going out to eat wherein I actually get out of my car and go inside of a "sit-down" restaurant.  You see, I have a favorite neighborhood coney island restaurant that I have been frequenting for many, many years.  The food is very, very good.  And it's always bustling with folks which I call "the regulars."  Even though we may not speak more words than a simple "hello" or "good morning,"  their faces and mine are familiar to each other.  So whether I go by myself or with a friend, I feel comfortable and without hesitation.

Now as far as moviegoing,  I have absolutely no problem going alone.  However, I generally like going during the early day or afternoon showings.  The crowds aren't there.  There's no lines to have to wait in for tickets or snacks.  And the bathrooms are generally at their cleanest.  And of course, the tickets are their cheapest.  Also, I don't have to quibble with a movie-going companion about what to go see.  So it makes for an easygoing, fun time all the way 'round for me.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 10 of 63

Having a meal or attending an event alone is the only way I do this.  It provides for a stress-free and pleasant experience.  It allows for contentment and the peaceful enjoyment of the event.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.

Top Authors