Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you go to eat out alone or go to a movie alone?

Message 31 of 54

I worked in movie theaters for seven years! Then was a waitress for fifteen years, so either option isn't too exciting for me, with or without company.  I enjoy many other activities alone, so, that's that. It's a wonderful life!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 54

I have been a widow for 3 years now and at first, hesitated to dine alone.  Now, realizing that most of my friends are married, they aren't as free to go out to eat and I was hesitant about dining with a couple (always felt like a fifth wheel), and found that a lot of couples don't like having a widow with them (always feel as though they are expected to pay for my meal).  Now, I tell them I will join them only if I pay for my own meal  Within the last 3 months, I realized how much I missed going out to eat, so I tried dining alone.  It wasn't bad.  I take a book and it's amazing how many people ask about the book and start up  conversations.  I can go to the restaurant of my choice and actually enjoy people watching.  Haven't tried going to a movie alone yet.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 54

Yes, I go to the movies solo, as I am retired and my friends still work, I enjoy my solo time 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 54

Yes I do and I love it! 

Not that I don't have friends to go with.  Sometimes, when you want to do something, friends are not always available.

DebDeb

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 54

For many years of my life I ate alone. When I got married I travelled extensively for my job.I ate alone and went to the movies alone. No big deal. I did call home every night to make sure everyone was okay.

Now retired if I go out to eat  my wife accompanies me. There are many movies she doesnt like so I go alone. No big deal.

I have never felt troubled, worried, uncomfortable or lonely in these solo activities.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 54

I do.  I grew up with eight siblings, including one little sister who drove me nuts.  I moved at 19 fell in and out of love, had a child, married/divorced, all of that.  Nevertheless, for some reason I seem to always get the most pleasure doing things by myself.  I'm a people watcher (as well as a hopeful romantic) and I love to go to my favorite restaurants, listen to the music and watch life unfold.  I lived in Paris, France for two years and because my love was a workaholic, again, there is I was eating, visiting, going to the movies - alone.  Now that I'm older I'm fine playing Solitaire on my cell while I eat.  Doesn't bother me one bit!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 54

Most of my working life was spent traveling internationally, so I'm very used to traveling, eating, going to movies, going to plays, etc alone.  I loved every minute of it, but it does take a fair amount of confidence and being comfortable in your own skin to do so.  It's second nature to me now that I'm retired to dine alone, etc.  Just take a deep breath, have an open mind, and go for it.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable the experience can be.  

But that's not to say I don't enjoy a good meal or a good movie with a good friend!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 54

I have gone out to eat alone before...but rarely and only when I was at work and on my lunch break to also run a quick errand. However, I have never hesitated and loved to go to a movie alone for many reasons. I absolutley love movies--especially at the local movie theater more than watching them at home on TV. At the theater you can really get involved in the storyline. (At my work my co-workers knew I saw a lot of movies, so they would always come to me to ask what movies I would recommend.) One reason is that I want "quiet" around me when I watch a movie...at home people seem to talk a lot during movies. I don't even like the movie theaters that are "Dine-In" ones.....because there is so much commotion with the serving of food and collecting the money. Most of my life I have gone to movies by myself. I would go to the movie at least 30-45 minutes ahead of time and take a book with me and get some reading done in that quiet time. In addition I would sometimes spend time making notes about books I planned to write, since I have previously written 2 books:  "I THOUGHT THERE WAS A ROAD THERE..." (a devotional book) and "SEPARATED LIVES" (a true story about a search for birthparents). I probably could or should also now write a book about going to the movies because I have some funny experiences doing that...such as ending up in the wrong movie, the film that would'nt project, or the "weirdo" that haunted the theater. 

Lynn Assimacopoulos

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 54

Years ago I had Kerrville in the Texas Hill Country as an area in which to sell advertising.  I discovered a restaurant that had a "strangers table".  To be eligible to enjoy this table you had to arrive alone.  The food was delicious and it was fun to meet other loners.  The manager told me some folks in the community would come to the area together, then arrive at the restaurant individually so they could sit at the "strangers table."

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 54

I like to go to movies and I like to go out to eat. I am as comfortable alone as I am with a group of friends.   People watching and being mentally involved in a movie are sometimes better for me if I’m alone. When the notion strikes me, I go to a movie or out to lunch ALONE because my spur of the moment jaunts can happen without “planning” with other folks. Do I enjoy a planned movie or lunch with friends? Of course I do. But I enjoy my serendipities on my own. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22