Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you go to eat out alone or go to a movie alone?

How many of you are a party of one? It doesn't even mean you're a single! Check out this article on Party of One. Tell us do you love it? Has anyone ever made you feel uncomfortable?

AARPTeri
Contributor

Yes I have gone out a loan to a movie and no I did not feel uncomfortable but it was different.

Contributor

I’ve been divorced for three years. I was lonely when I was married. I go out to any movie I want to alone and really enjoy it. I can go to any restaurant and eat whatever I want in a relaxed atmosphere so wonderful. I am a confident happy women. I do t want a man in my life unless he makes me happy. 

Didn't I just answer this?

I don't enjoy "flying solo". I am a people person, most especially my husband and children and friends. I can sit at home alone and watch TV for basically free.

I don't find "singular" empowering it's just lonely.

0 Kudos

I have been to movies on my own at the insistance of my daughters and my husband that it's an empowering "fun" experience. I thought it sucked balls. Maybe it's the movies I'm watching. Who knows? It doesn't seem like something I enjoy.

I have not been out to eat on my own yet. It also seems like something I wouldn't enjoy. I can sit at home alone and stare at my phone while I eat food that I cooked to my specifications - why pay the extra money to enjoy the ambiance of strangers sitting with their companions while I stare at my phone and eat expensive food. 

I'm just not in to the "singlular" experiences.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yes, I often eat alone.  I will stop at one of my favorite restaurants like Cracker Barrel, Mimi's Cafe or Bob Evans.  I order what I want, not what everyone else is ordering, take my time and enjoy myself.  It beats going home and having to prepare a meal from scratch and eating alone.  I often see friends and sometimes see people I haven't seen in years.  To me, it's enjoyable.

I don't go to movies alone very often.  I generally watch movies using my DVD player or one of the cable stations.  That's usually when I have a bag of popcorn!

Regular Contributor

I worked in movie theaters for seven years! Then was a waitress for fifteen years, so either option isn't too exciting for me, with or without company.  I enjoy many other activities alone, so, that's that. It's a wonderful life!

Contributor

I have been a widow for 3 years now and at first, hesitated to dine alone.  Now, realizing that most of my friends are married, they aren't as free to go out to eat and I was hesitant about dining with a couple (always felt like a fifth wheel), and found that a lot of couples don't like having a widow with them (always feel as though they are expected to pay for my meal).  Now, I tell them I will join them only if I pay for my own meal  Within the last 3 months, I realized how much I missed going out to eat, so I tried dining alone.  It wasn't bad.  I take a book and it's amazing how many people ask about the book and start up  conversations.  I can go to the restaurant of my choice and actually enjoy people watching.  Haven't tried going to a movie alone yet.

Contributor

Yes, I go to the movies solo, as I am retired and my friends still work, I enjoy my solo time 

Contributor

Yes I do and I love it! 

Not that I don't have friends to go with.  Sometimes, when you want to do something, friends are not always available.

DebDeb

Contributor

For many years of my life I ate alone. When I got married I travelled extensively for my job.I ate alone and went to the movies alone. No big deal. I did call home every night to make sure everyone was okay.

Now retired if I go out to eat  my wife accompanies me. There are many movies she doesnt like so I go alone. No big deal.

I have never felt troubled, worried, uncomfortable or lonely in these solo activities.

Contributor

We go out with friends, together or separetly.  We are not shackled together.  For example, this week I saw Tarantino's new movie alone, we thought it would be too violant for her.  I sadly recall a friend who would not go to a movie alone, and she and her husband had very different tastes!  Of course, that didn't stop him from going alone.  Now that he passed away, we try to make an effort to get her out.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do.  I grew up with eight siblings, including one little sister who drove me nuts.  I moved at 19 fell in and out of love, had a child, married/divorced, all of that.  Nevertheless, for some reason I seem to always get the most pleasure doing things by myself.  I'm a people watcher (as well as a hopeful romantic) and I love to go to my favorite restaurants, listen to the music and watch life unfold.  I lived in Paris, France for two years and because my love was a workaholic, again, there is I was eating, visiting, going to the movies - alone.  Now that I'm older I'm fine playing Solitaire on my cell while I eat.  Doesn't bother me one bit!

Trusted Contributor

Most of my working life was spent traveling internationally, so I'm very used to traveling, eating, going to movies, going to plays, etc alone.  I loved every minute of it, but it does take a fair amount of confidence and being comfortable in your own skin to do so.  It's second nature to me now that I'm retired to dine alone, etc.  Just take a deep breath, have an open mind, and go for it.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable the experience can be.  

But that's not to say I don't enjoy a good meal or a good movie with a good friend!

Regular Contributor

I have gone out to eat alone before...but rarely and only when I was at work and on my lunch break to also run a quick errand. However, I have never hesitated and loved to go to a movie alone for many reasons. I absolutley love movies--especially at the local movie theater more than watching them at home on TV. At the theater you can really get involved in the storyline. (At my work my co-workers knew I saw a lot of movies, so they would always come to me to ask what movies I would recommend.) One reason is that I want "quiet" around me when I watch a movie...at home people seem to talk a lot during movies. I don't even like the movie theaters that are "Dine-In" ones.....because there is so much commotion with the serving of food and collecting the money. Most of my life I have gone to movies by myself. I would go to the movie at least 30-45 minutes ahead of time and take a book with me and get some reading done in that quiet time. In addition I would sometimes spend time making notes about books I planned to write, since I have previously written 2 books:  "I THOUGHT THERE WAS A ROAD THERE..." (a devotional book) and "SEPARATED LIVES" (a true story about a search for birthparents). I probably could or should also now write a book about going to the movies because I have some funny experiences doing that...such as ending up in the wrong movie, the film that would'nt project, or the "weirdo" that haunted the theater. 

Lynn Assimacopoulos

Contributor

The idea of taking a book is excellent.  If you see someone else reading it is always possible to start a conversation about books.My library friends love this graphic.My library friends love this graphic.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Years ago I had Kerrville in the Texas Hill Country as an area in which to sell advertising.  I discovered a restaurant that had a "strangers table".  To be eligible to enjoy this table you had to arrive alone.  The food was delicious and it was fun to meet other loners.  The manager told me some folks in the community would come to the area together, then arrive at the restaurant individually so they could sit at the "strangers table."

Contributor

I like to go to movies and I like to go out to eat. I am as comfortable alone as I am with a group of friends.   People watching and being mentally involved in a movie are sometimes better for me if I’m alone. When the notion strikes me, I go to a movie or out to lunch ALONE because my spur of the moment jaunts can happen without “planning” with other folks. Do I enjoy a planned movie or lunch with friends? Of course I do. But I enjoy my serendipities on my own. 

Regular Contributor

I go out often alone and I love it. I have a favorite restaurant and the kids there know me. I love listening to a much younger generation talk about everything going on in their lives and in the world, in general. They’re a lot of fun and they always take care of me while I’m there. At Halloween, I do up baskets for them with all their favorite candies and they really do appreciate it. It’s a blast for me. I don’t remember the last time I went to a movie...maybe 10 years ago. I travel on my own, as well. That way I get to go where I want and when I want to and leave when I’m ‘finished.’

Conversationalist

Yep! Sometimes you just can't depend on someone to go with you, especially if they don't want to see the movie or go to that restaurant.  I have a very independent streak in me so I can fly solo!  But it is more fun with someone, I will admit!

Trusted Contributor

Since my husband passes away (2013) and daughter and granddaughter who'd lived with us since the g.d. was only 16 mos., ten y.o. when they moved (2016), have done MOST things by myself.  Not a problem as I need a lot of "alone time" usually, albeit kitty-boy is usually not far away when I'm home, but - the most out of sync thing I did, now months ago, was go to a movie...!  Do not remember what the movie was, apparently it didn't make much of an impression, but-I neither fell asleep nor was distracted by conversation...not a bad experience after all!

Periodic Contributor

I haven't quite mastered eating alone. But will do it over starving. I am a people watcher.  I am fine going to the movies alone.  I can see anything I want.

Periodic Contributor

Yes! I enjoy going to matinees. When I eat out alone, I take along a book to read.

Contributor

Book people live in their own imaginative world.  My library colleagues like this graphic.

Book lovers do these books.png

Periodic Contributor

Smiley Happy  I can relate.  Will start reading again like I used to.

Clairev

Sometimes, but I don't like it, I enjoy company.

Contributor

Yes.  As a widow, all of my good friends are married.  If I want to do something, I do it alone.  At first it was very difficult.  Now, it's just 2nd nature.

Periodic Contributor

Absolutely! I have friends that have not retired yet and can go out at night or weekends but I don't mind going to a matinee by myself on a summer afternoon or grabbing a meal by myself. I frequently grab a meal by myself and always take my kindle with me. I love reading while having a meal, relaxing for me. But it feels rude if hubby or friends are with me so I sneak off occasionally just so I can dine alone with a book. 

Contributor

I love going out to eat by myself...have met a lot of interesting people and great conversations.  Going to the movies is great, too!  If I don't like the movie, I can leave!  This is my alone time since my daughter and I live together, along with two grandchildren...not my daughter's kids.  Try it, you'll like it!!!

No.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Love your reasoning!
0 Kudos