Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you go to eat out alone or go to a movie alone?

Message 41 of 54

I go out often alone and I love it. I have a favorite restaurant and the kids there know me. I love listening to a much younger generation talk about everything going on in their lives and in the world, in general. They’re a lot of fun and they always take care of me while I’m there. At Halloween, I do up baskets for them with all their favorite candies and they really do appreciate it. It’s a blast for me. I don’t remember the last time I went to a movie...maybe 10 years ago. I travel on my own, as well. That way I get to go where I want and when I want to and leave when I’m ‘finished.’

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 54

Yep! Sometimes you just can't depend on someone to go with you, especially if they don't want to see the movie or go to that restaurant.  I have a very independent streak in me so I can fly solo!  But it is more fun with someone, I will admit!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 54

Since my husband passes away (2013) and daughter and granddaughter who'd lived with us since the g.d. was only 16 mos., ten y.o. when they moved (2016), have done MOST things by myself.  Not a problem as I need a lot of "alone time" usually, albeit kitty-boy is usually not far away when I'm home, but - the most out of sync thing I did, now months ago, was go to a movie...!  Do not remember what the movie was, apparently it didn't make much of an impression, but-I neither fell asleep nor was distracted by conversation...not a bad experience after all!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 54

I haven't quite mastered eating alone. But will do it over starving. I am a people watcher.  I am fine going to the movies alone.  I can see anything I want.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 54

Yes! I enjoy going to matinees. When I eat out alone, I take along a book to read.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 54

Sometimes, but I don't like it, I enjoy company.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 54

Yes.  As a widow, all of my good friends are married.  If I want to do something, I do it alone.  At first it was very difficult.  Now, it's just 2nd nature.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 54

Absolutely! I have friends that have not retired yet and can go out at night or weekends but I don't mind going to a matinee by myself on a summer afternoon or grabbing a meal by myself. I frequently grab a meal by myself and always take my kindle with me. I love reading while having a meal, relaxing for me. But it feels rude if hubby or friends are with me so I sneak off occasionally just so I can dine alone with a book. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 54

I love going out to eat by myself...have met a lot of interesting people and great conversations.  Going to the movies is great, too!  If I don't like the movie, I can leave!  This is my alone time since my daughter and I live together, along with two grandchildren...not my daughter's kids.  Try it, you'll like it!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 54
No!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season