Trusted Contributor

Are You Loving Your Mask?

Last week a read an interesting. It's about people who, separate and apart from Covid don't want to give up their masks even when they become medically unnecessary. 

In this article in The Guardian the reporter talked to a few people who like their masks. The article's title is: 

The people who want to keep masking: ‘It’s like an invisibility cloak’

A few of the people interviewed said that they disliked having to smile or look friendly, and the mask saved them from that. Others felt it saved them from leering looks from men. And one person said it did more to cure her social anxiety than years of therapy and medication. 

• Do you share these feelings .... even a little? 
  • Are you going to continue to wear your mask in public even if not required?
  • What do you think about this phenomenon?

The article is not a scientific study at all, but I know many people are very hesitant to remove their masks, and I wonder how much is "the science" and how much might be that being masked has been a positive thing for them. 

Social Butterfly

For me, it's when I first saw Americans wearing masks over a year ago, I felt PROUD, we'd finally realized, as Asians had a decade ago, flu can kill!

Then the "you can't make me" parade started... then graduated to "it's my right", then "no vax", then...

My final question would be, how about if we, USA citizens, followed Asian guidance (wear masks) when they realized the issue? Instead we blamed them and waited 3+ months to take action. 

Shame on us...

Now, please, all Americans, even with relaxed guidance in place, please take time to move back to pre-pandemic status, please? For those who did not resent masks, please keep wearing. For those who did not resent not touching, please know we will hug again, just not now...

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Silver Conversationalist

@ninaTx Really interesting article! Great post.  I just recently gave up the mask when I do my daily morning neighborhood walk.  My husband is still wearing his, because it helps with his allergies.      --- Christine

Trusted Contributor

@Rhymesometimes 

Hmmm, my husband has allergies too - so I'll mention that to him. But my guess is he'd rather have the allergies. Plus he's also allergic to things in the house, and he's not going to wear it at home. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Fascinating.  I will admit to feeling both claustrophobic due to restricted breathing, and also more free in a sense from the tyranny of certain expected appearances.  That is, between a mask and my ball cap on bad hair days, I do get a kind of nice invisibility cloak effect. 

It's hard to know how to distinguish those who have been vaccinated and who haven't, so you know whether it's wise to mask up or not. It may be less a worry through summer. Will see if there is another rise in cases in the fall. I'll be tempted to mask if I'm in crowded places, but that's rare for me.

I think it's a mix between masks being positive for some but also a fear response, not trusting the vaccines, and not knowing if others are vaccinated. There is likely to be many who are not trusting others to have acted responsibly since so many haven't and have been belligerent about it. All that doesn't create an atmosphere of confidence in safety.

Social Butterfly

imho, anyone opposed to masks at the beginning probably won't vaccinate willingly; they will probably not admit to that, and will probably, if to their advantage (concert, show, convention) state they are vaccinated.

While I don't want a constitutional amendment regarding vaccinations, I do believe some cannot be trusted and so we need SOMETHING to know who is vaccinated or not (I'm not yet but will; awaiting senior transportation option).

The ONLY way this pandemic ends is with a vaccination. If we don't know that vaccine's strength and efficacy, that won't end it. The variants globally impact everything! Those must be addressed!

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Hi @WebWiseWoman 

I agree on vaccinations.  But I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic.  The article is about people who have come to like wearing a mask for non-medical emotional reasons. Perhaps my initial post wasn't clear. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

My thought is because the past year politically drove our country so far apart, re shootings, riots, insurrection, murders, and most importantly imho health care, where do we go from here?

Almost 14 months ago, I was proud to see Americans mask up, then some revolted to that as a battle cry... shame on us for that and now...

#VegasStrong
Trusted Contributor

@DeahWA 

Interesting. I never really felt expected appearances in just going about day to day stuff. But also I've worked from home for ages so not having to get dressed to go to work may be partly why I've not felt those. But I guess I must have to some extent, because I'm well aware that since we've moved, I go out wearing pretty much anything so long as I have appropriate underwear on, and I'm pretty much decent. For example, I would never wear shorts to the store in California. But here if I'm wearing shorts - working in the garden, and realize I need onions to make dinner - I'll go to the store in shorts with dirt under my nails (not to eat, but to shop). 

It has been noted by several people that my fear responses are not always in line with other people's.  Having grown up in Manhattan I tend to be very aware of urban risks, and very safety conscious. Even out here, I have high situational awareness. But around Covid I don't seem to be concerned. I think it may be that people here tend to be so much more polite and personal space conscious than they were in California or could be in NYC. 

I just haven't felt like anyone I didn't know was breathing on me much, and heaven knows I didn't only feel it but knew it was happening for sure in both CA and NY. As I think I've mentioned here - even the store aisles here are wider than I was used to - so I just feel very comfortable being around people here.

Now that I'm vaccinated, and from what I've read, although you can still catch Covid, the odds are it will be a mild case, and the odds of spreading it once you're vaccinated are very very low, I really am happy not to wear a mask ever again. I will only wear it to if required, which is isn't around here, or to be polite. I always carry my mask and if I meet someone I know but I'm not sure of their comfort, and they are wearing a mask - I will ask if they'd feel more comfortable if I wore mine. 

Social Butterfly

I have NEVER liked wearing my mask @ninaTx but will keep wearing it until the pandemic is 100 percent gone. Awesome post!!!

Angela
Trusted Contributor

@EnjoyingMyLifeInVA wrote:

I have NEVER liked wearing my mask @ninaTx but will keep wearing it until the pandemic is 100 percent gone. Awesome post!!!

What does that mean to you? What if there is a cure as well as the vaccine, but people are still getting it?  What if there are no deaths?  Texas had a zero Covid death day already, although it was only one day - but you need zero cases, or zero deaths? 

Social Butterfly

Not to be **bleep**, but Texas "reported" zero; not actually proven. Sorry, but this is the last state I would trust due to personal experience and history...

I requested removal of "only" from headline "only 4 covid deaths"; disrespectful imho...

moving on, let's please consider EVERYTHING, including our tots can't yet be vaccinated so please WEARAMASK? 

#VegasStrong
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Lol @ninaTx I live ONE DAY AT A TIME and do not worry about the what if's. Everyone has to live their life THEIR way. ZERO cases 🙂 🙂 🙂 Good question.

Angela
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Hi @EnjoyingMyLifeInVA 

Yes I got your message. Thanks.  

My county has had zero case days already. And in fact yesterday was one. But it goes up and down - and for a while it's been between 0 and 2 cases. We haven't had a death from Covid for at least a month or so. Maybe a bit longer. But we're a small rural county, and we don't live in the one town in the county, but out in the unincorporated area. 

This is why my attitude may sound different from other people's. Sure it's in part me, but in part  it's where we live. I'm well aware my husband and I are blessed to have weathered (so far) this storm here, and not in our previous home. 

Amazingly when we were thinking about moving and did a "pro" and "con" list of the typical things you'd think of when deciding to move, we NEVER thought to put on the pro list for moving: "PRO, much less stressful in the event of a world-wide pandemic." 

Social Butterfly

You are welcome @ninaTx 😉

Angela
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Put on your boogie shoes for the Daybreaker Live: Saturday Morning Fever: A Disco Dance with AARP! Shake your groove thing to live performances featuring Sister Sledge and Indigo Girls on June 26, 2021 at 11 a.m. ET. Register Here AARP Daybreaker Live: Saturday Morning Fever

Members Can Earn Cash Back

Earn 3% cash back rewards at gas stations and drug stores with AARP Membership. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Join Us For a Concert!

Celebrate Black Music Month and learn more about the powerful connections between music and health during an AARP virtual performance featuring R&B singer Raheem DeVaughn on June 28, 2021 at 8:00 p.m. EST. Register Here.

AARP Concert Series